PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed on redhat 7.3 yet?

fryfrog
05-07-2002, 06:29 PM
i am installing redhat 7.3 right at the moment (it comes with kde 3.0.0, woo) but i did not see any of the rh 7.2 or mdk 8.1 type "gcc3" packages in the flat view of rpm list. just wondering (before i finish the install) if anyone has used gcc3 in rh 7.3 (or installed seq in it...).

fryfrog
05-07-2002, 09:27 PM
well, i'm actually having trouble getting qt-2.3.2 to compile at all. aparantly rh 7.3 does NOT seem to come with any gcc3 rpms so i used the 3.0.4 rpms for rh 7.2. they installed w/o any conflicts BUT i get errors during qt-2.3.2 compile.

i tried using the rpms from Zaphod's guide, but it then fails during the showeq compile...

i'll post error messages soon :)

high_jeeves
05-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Might want to try building gcc3 from source first... take FOREVER (you think QT takes a long time? :) )... but might move you in the right direction...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
05-08-2002, 08:20 AM
well, just for shits and giggles i tried to compile it with gcc-2.96 (the one that rh 7.3 comes with) and it ALSO craps out. it is very hard to get a cut/paste when the damn thing locks up (or you forget).

if anyone else tries seq on rh 7.3 i'd love to hear how it goes and what i might be doing wrong ;)

fryfrog
05-08-2002, 08:32 AM
here is the error from compiling with normal gcc/g++ using "./configure -system-jpeg -system-libmng -system-libpng -gif -shared -release -sm -system-zlib -thread -xft -no-g++exceptions" as my configure line.

g++ -D_REENTRANT -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -c -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -fPIC -DQT_NO_G++EXCEPTIONS -DQT_BUILTIN_GIF_READER=1 -DQT_XFT -I/usr/X11R6/include -o kernel/qdragobject.o kernel/qdragobject.cpp
<command line>: warning: ISO C requires whitespace after the macro name
kernel/qdragobject.cpp: In method `void QUriDrag::setFilenames
(QStringList)':
kernel/qdragobject.cpp:1135: Internal error: Segmentation fault.
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
make[3]: *** [kernel/qdragobject.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src'
make[2]: *** [src-mt] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
make[1]: *** [src-mt] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
make: *** [init] Error 2

high_jeeves
05-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Nice!

My only advice: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use a redhat release right when it comes out... :)

I've always had bad experience with redhat releases right when they come out, might want to just stick with 7.2 for a couple of weeks...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
05-08-2002, 09:20 AM
yeah, i have the SAME exact experience with redhat, starting at like 5.0 or something ;)

i just was hoping beyond hope that for SOME reason i could get a nice new of everything (XF86 4.2, KDE 3.0...) easy. its looking like this might be a GREAT chance to try out debian :)

fee
05-08-2002, 09:56 AM
My advice, never use redhat, at all.

Check out Debian 3.0(Woody) or Gentoo for an interesting experience. These distros rank much higher in the reliability/usabilty scale on my list.

Fee

Ratt
05-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Yes ... Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org) ... Gentoo is great!

It's now my defacto default distro when I install new Linux boxes.

fryfrog
05-08-2002, 04:14 PM
well, i tried debian but it was soooo... different it made me want to cry :)

anyway, i'm playing with gentoo right now and i am actually liking it. its a good learning experience and it is fun building all that shit from scratch.

anything i should watch out for or be aware of?

high_jeeves
05-08-2002, 04:24 PM
I have a slighty weird box that gentoo really didnt like... Mandrake, Redhat, and Debian have all installed fine... gentoo installed perfectly until the first reboot.. then dead as a doornail...

I've gone over my kernel setting quite a few times... I might try to play with it again sometime.. i like the idea behind it, but after a couple of clean installs/rebuilds.. i couldnt get anywhere with it...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
05-08-2002, 04:58 PM
well, i have it up and am playing with emerge. it suggests doing "emerge rsync" but i get this:

starting rsync with rsync://cvs.gentoo.org/gento-x86-portage...
rsync: failed to connect to cvs.gentoo.org: connection refused
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(89)

any idea? :)

reading docs now.

a_corpse00
05-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by fryfrog
well, i have it up and am playing with emerge. it suggests doing "emerge rsync" but i get this:

starting rsync with rsync://cvs.gentoo.org/gento-x86-portage...
rsync: failed to connect to cvs.gentoo.org: connection refused
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(89)

any idea? :)

reading docs now.

In /etc/make.conf change the SYNC= line to read:
SYNC="rsync://rsync2.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-x86-portage"

then emerge --clean rsync && emerge -u world && emerge clean