PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this error?

klm10000
05-07-2002, 11:42 PM
When starting SEQ (compiled with no errors etc etc) with this command line:

./showeq -i eth0 x.x.x.x (where x's are the EQ box's IP address)

_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address none
Session management error: Could not open network socket

SEQ starts and runs, but of course the dreaded no packets and no information is shown at all.

tcpdump -i eth0 shows also IP traffic from the EQ box, so I know the SEQ machine can see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cryonic
05-08-2002, 12:14 AM
showeq -i eth0 --ip-address=ip

klm10000
05-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Are you saying that this:

showeq -i eth0 --ip-address=x.x.x.x

is the command line I need to execute?

I have executed it as:

./showeq
./showeq -i eth0
./showeq -i eth0 10.0.0.10
./showeq -i eth0 --ip-address=10.0.0.10

and they all give the same error. I have the EQ box ip set up in showeq.conf and get the same result.

Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf'
_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address none
Session management error: Could not open network socket
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf
Listening for client: 10.0.0.10
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 10.0.0.10
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0

SEQ starts up of course with no data.

fee
05-08-2002, 05:53 AM
Thats a very interesting error. Got some questions for you. What software/hardware platform are you running on? Did you get showeq source from the cvs and build it yourself?

fee

klm10000
05-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Network:

Cable modem --> Cable Router/hub --> SEQ, EQ1 and EQ2 pc's

SEQ PC:

Dell 566, 20G hd, 96mb ram, Mandrake 8.1 (clean install), KDE interface.

I followed the Mandrake SEQ FAQ basically when I installed. I downloaded and compiled my own SEQ CVS files with no errors. Also compiled qt-2.3.2 post install. It had a few errors, but nothing critical. As I said, I can run TCPDUMP and see ip traffic on the backbone to the EQ box, just nothing showing up in SEQ.

BlueAdept
05-08-2002, 09:03 AM
You are running it from root?

It sounds like you dont have permission to sniff the address.

high_jeeves
05-08-2002, 09:06 AM
I think blue hit it on the head.. but since you are using a cable router/hub (Which is really a switch) this isnt going to matter anyways. You need to go buy a real hub and place it between your router and your machines.

--Jeeves

klm10000
05-08-2002, 09:31 AM
Am running as su/root. Though I am logging in as a user initially and then running the KDE root terminal. As I said, using TCPDUMP (as root) I see the packets going to the EQ box from the SEQ machine so using the switch/hub/router I'm pretty sure isn't the problem unless of course seeing it with TCPDUMP from the SEQ box means nothing.

I initially could not see the traffic because of the switch/router/hub but overcame that with the help of this forum by connecting the SEQ box to the Uplink port with a crossover cable, now it see's all hub traffic.

Searching the Web for this particular error message seems to get a few hits and all have KDE in common, or so it seems to me. All are application related X-windows errors that are running on KDE. Unfortunately, none of them had any clear answers on what causes this.

CelestialOne
05-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi,

My advice would be for you to make Linux your Firewall/Router firsts. Like for example;

( Cable Modem ) --------> (Linux Box) --------> ( Noraml Hub ) -----------> ( PC 1 & PC 2 )

Also Try Runing Seq under Root, get off KDE and Log into GNOME to runing it. I don't know but has for me it runs good like that. To log in has Root. in the Login Screen enter the Login Name: root Password: <root password> Then you are at full root. *Note* to chose your desktop to be GNOME. Try runing it like that and see what happen.

high_jeeves
05-08-2002, 09:57 AM
NOTE: NEVER but NEVER run your window manager as root! VBT (Very Bad Things) can happen... Log in as a standard user, then su to root.. then run...

KDE vs Gnome doesnt matter either.. SEQ will run under every window manager i have tried.. KDE/Gnome/ICE.. and many more..

Try a diff. window manager and see if that helps.. the KDE on your machine may be screwed... that may signal deeper issues with your install...

--Jeeves

csmith12
05-09-2002, 09:41 AM
I was trying to diagnose an error that I had on my box(s).

I was installing showeq for a buddy on a lower end box.

I can't offer you any direct reason for your error, but try some of the things that are suggested in the post below.

Oh, I use Red Hat 7.2 by the way.

I would bet it has something to do with your NIC

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1004

TDES
06-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Jeeves,

While scanning various linux boards trying to solve problems I've been having with gnome crashing, I've seen posted many times "don't run the manager as root".

However, I have yet to find a thread that tells me why ... or what the consequences are.

I realize this is a ? for a linus board ... but since I see you mention it - would you (or anyone) mind throwing me a bone ?

Thanks much ..

high_jeeves
06-22-2002, 01:18 PM
The same reason you shouldnt run Windows as Administrator. You have permission to do everything, including accidentally destroying your system. Run as a normal user, then when you NEED root priviliges for anything, just "su" to root.

If you are running as root, and your window manager, goes rouge, and trashes your /etc/<some config file here>, you will be screwed... if you are logged in as a normal user, the window manager wont be able to write to those "protected files".

--Jeeves

Orthaanc
07-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Okay I'm using the mandrake 8.2 distro, everything went according to plan and everything worked yesterday. Today when initiating it again I got the same error you got, then i noticed i had used the Super User Console. So, I closed it and opened a standard shell and then su'd and tried it again. This time it worked. I suggest using the normal shell and then su'ing instead of using the SU Console