PDA

View Full Version : Using Magelo from Linux

Khallus
05-08-2002, 10:25 AM
So far all of the web browsers I've tried from Linux (Netscape, KDE, Opera) have been unable to use the Magelo website (www.magelo.com).

Does anyone know of a Linux browser that can properly handle Magelo's convoluted javascript? (Or know what, if any, settings I can change in Opera to do so?)

Thanks

EQDoze
05-08-2002, 10:28 AM
NT

Khallus
05-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I'll try it out.

guice
05-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Mozilla?

I'm sure I've using Mozilla if and when I access Magelo from my linux system.

myleftfoot
05-08-2002, 02:04 PM
Mozilla Release Candidate 1 on Linux works very well. There is still some goofiness with background colors, but that's because I set up my security pretty stringently (don't allow unrequested windows, don't allow changes to images, etc.)

In any case, give it a shot. http://www.mozilla.org/ and hit the download link. Find your platform and you're off. I don't advise trying to compile from source, it takes many hours.

Khallus
05-08-2002, 10:56 PM
I installed the latest binary dist from www.mozilla.org.

Now, I get a magelo security error pop-up, even when just trying to go to the www.magelo.com main page. sigh.

Running on dsl, through a nexland router connected to a real hub that my LAN is connected to.

Any other suggestions?

deathinc
05-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Ah... Magelo's 'Security' strikes again...

Welcome to Javascript and boneheaded coding.

You have to have JS enabled, and you have to make sure you aren't caching _any_ of his pages. Oh, he uses cookies and pop-up windows (login page) too. If you have a firewall that filters 3rd party cookies, that'll screw it up too.

Why he goes through all this crap is beyond me. About 15 mins of thought and you can walk and copy his entire item DB.

/sigh

guice
05-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Oh, he uses cookies and pop-up windows (login page) too

Mozilla can turn off all pop-ups, but self initiated ones. Ie, ones that you click to pop-up.

He goes through all this to prevent people from using the full Magelo system w/out his consent or his permission.

It's like "XP Activation". You must inform the main creators you wish to use it before it will allow you to. :)

And the JS. These days, if you don't have it one, you won't be able to use 75+% of the most commonly browsed websites.
This place uses a good bit of JS and definatly cookies.

deathinc
05-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by guice
He goes through all this to prevent people from using the full Magelo system w/out his consent or his permission.

FYI - He's not getting very far.

This place uses a good bit of JS and definatly cookies.

A good bit? Have you seen the actual profile display page - It's all CSS and Javascript.

I'm not saying JS is a bad thing(TM) just that it should be used in moderation. When you have the client perform all the calculations client-side because the server-side component was a static html page that's one thing, but why push all sorts of unneeded things to client-side when the server side is a jsp page anyway? It just asks for incompatability and problems -- of which he seems to have had a few.

KISS

Thx ~la

Smog
05-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Regarding that with 15 min of thought you could have his entire databse....

Could you think for about 15min and then e-mail the database to me? I would much appretiate it :p

CoolGuyEQ
05-20-2002, 07:00 AM
Heck, don't even need to email the database....but how exactly would you walk his database? Unless I'm dense, I can't find a way to make a url to display items using an item number....maybe I'm missing something though

CGEQ

Mr. Suspicious
05-20-2002, 07:43 AM
http://www.magelo.com/eq_item_info.html?num=16619

There's your URL.

evalsegaw
05-20-2002, 10:34 PM
I just tried it with Galeon 1.2.1 with Mozilla 1.0rc2 and the whole Magelo thing worked fine without any errors. This probably means I need to re-think my browser's security settings. ;)

Another thing, I think if you go to mozilla.org and get the "latest" version, it'll direct you to the latest stable pre-1.0 version, which I'm relatively sure doesn't work with Magelo.

Khallus
05-23-2002, 01:20 PM
I tried Mozilla 1.0 RC2 last night, and that worked fine for Magelo.