PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 8.2

Alwayslost
05-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Any installation/compatibility issues here? Just getting started and planning to go with Mandrake 8.2

Just curious if I'm about to hit a minefield. :confused:

Mr. Suspicious
05-08-2002, 02:32 PM
You are about to hit a minefield.

Alwayslost
05-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Ouch, I hate that...

Anyone know of a place I can get 8.1 then? :rolleyes:

Mr. Suspicious
05-08-2002, 02:42 PM
hehe, sorry, but if you're not Linux savvy (like I am myself) you WILL hit several minefields.

I'm sure you'll find Mandrake at www.mandrake.com (not sure if Mandrake does distribute a free downloadable version) respectively Red Hat DOES distribute a free downloadable version 7.2, the ISO's of the two CD's needed can be downloaded from... www.redhat.com

myleftfoot
05-08-2002, 03:08 PM
I have it running on Mandrake 8.2 as I type. No problems here.

Then again, I've been a UNIX admin for seven years, and built all my own prerequisites...

Alwayslost
05-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Yes, Mandrake 8.2 is released as a 3 disk .ISO that I have already downloaded and burned... It really looks sweet and painless as far as installation goes.

I was going to do the install from scratch and follow the walkthrough for 8.1 and Substitute gcc-3.0.4 for the walkthroughs gcc-3.0.1. according to the rest of the thread that would solve the immediate issues...

But I may decide to go with 7.2 after all...

/sigh

Decisions....

Thanks for the feedback tho!

fryfrog
05-08-2002, 04:25 PM
don't try rh 7.3... yet :)

Alwayslost
05-10-2002, 11:34 AM
<step> BOOM!

<step> BOOM!

Yup. minefeild. :(

But I think I'm fighting some hardware issues also.

I got 8.2 to install, but it will only boot from a floppy... too weird, I must have something seriously wrong... If I try to boot to the HD I get a screen of repeating: 40 40 40 40

Where is a good place to get install help for Mand8.2 or RH7.2?

I've read so much here in this forum, I think I can do the SEQ install in my sleep... In fact, I think I did last night... twice.

Now I just need to get the box to work first.

Mr. Suspicious
05-11-2002, 05:53 AM
If you speak my language (Dutch) then I can recommend the "step-by-step Red Hat install for dummies (http://ramses.smeyers.be/LDP/linux/linux.html#toc1)" pages.

There's also a few guides and lots of HOWTO's to be found at Linuxdocs.org (http://www.linuxdocs.org/)

Then there's the Official Red Hat installation guide to be found at the Red Hat site / version 7.2 installation guide (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/install-guide/) which could be helpfull.

Daladae
05-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Find the unofficial guilde that has the 3 links in it and start there.

I am currently running SEQ on 2 boxes. One is running on RH 7.2 the other is Mandrake 8.2 running on a rather old Sony Vaio Superslim that I found lying around (don't even know the specs on it). It's a bit slow on the laptop but still runs well enough for my wife to use.

Alwayslost
05-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Well, It's all in and working great!

I LOVE the filters, Mapping is fantastic!

Minefield aside, 8.2 rocks! The install went a LITTLE away from the walkthrough for me, but I eventually go it. :cool: