PDA

View Full Version : libEQ.a site

jackfrost
05-09-2002, 09:24 PM
In README.libEQ it lists two sites for libEQ.a download. When I tried them both, ftp://azriel.trifocus.net wokred fine. when I tried the link for ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net it asked me for a user name... was just wondering if this was done on purpose, and if it was, shouldn't that info be posted somewhere?

fryfrog
05-09-2002, 10:13 PM
thats just the way ftp works, welcome to the internet. a majority of ftp servers accept the username "anonymous" and pretty much ANY password (in theory, you would use your email@address but it isn't usually forced or checked).

try that. pretty much only "private" ftp servers would not accept the "anonymous" login. you may have been shielded by this due to using IE, which when logging into an ftp site w/o a user/pass it auto-assumes and uses the anonymous l/p.

if you use a tool such as "wget" or "ncftp" they are pretty smart and will login w/o asking you for a password. ncftp is a great ftp client and wget is a cmd line file retriever (say, for when you know the exact path... hint hint).

jackfrost
05-10-2002, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I know about anonymous logins, etc. I was using Konquerer to go to the websites, Konquerer tried using the anonymous login. The site kicked back an incorrect username/password even after i manually put anonymous and [email protected].

I don't know, just thought it was kinda weird, cause azriel.trifocus.net worked fine, smurfette.trifocus.net needed other then anonymous user to get in.

casey
05-10-2002, 09:22 AM
was just wondering if this was done on purpose, and if it was, shouldn't that info be posted somewhere?

it is on purpose. And yes, the info is posted somewhere. Specifically in RFC 1635.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1635.txt?number=1635

In case you dont know what an RFC is, they are documents which define many of the basic aspects of the internet. The come in many forms, standards, draft standards, informational, experimental.

This particular RFC is informational, and entitled "How to use Anonymous FTP"., and was published in 1994 by some friendly folks at NASA.

The reason you didnt see the info here, is simply because we follow the well accepted, well know, worldwide standard.

jackfrost
05-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Ok, maybe I wasn't/am not making myself clear. I know about anonymous ftp. When i tired last night, anonymous login DID NOT WORK.

Thats all I was saying.

S_B_R
05-10-2002, 06:02 PM
if to many anonymous users are logged in you'll get rejected when you try and login. Since you used a web browser, it probably hid the message telling you the maximum number of anonymous users had been reached.....

jackfrost
05-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info.