PDA

View Full Version : please dont flame me

RUCDOC
05-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Ok i have a problem i am a major newbie when it comes to linux, but not computers as a whole. I am trying to compile the source code but i need gcc 3 but i have 2.9.5. I have read several how tos and the offical instructions from gnu. My problem is I didn't understand one word of their explanation on how to do it. If someone could post either a link giveing me plain instructions or just tell me what to do I would be grateful. I would also like to state that no i have not spent hours pouring over previos post mainly becasue its like five flames then some one reffering to a explanation that I wouldn't understand anway. sorry for sounding rude, and thanks in advance for any help.

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Here is the walkthrough.. 7 posts below yours.. it is as plain as a walkthrough gets for building this application.. it just isnt going to get any easier:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400

--Jeeves

RUCDOC
05-10-2002, 09:55 PM
ok first i'd like to thank you for being nice in your post. second i think either im blind or the informationi need is not there it is a great howto for installing seq, unfortunatly it didn't help me understand how to install or compile the source code i have for gcc3.0.4. sorry to bug everyone with this crap, but I really want to use seq but im completely lost when it cost to linux. Thanks again.

Cryonic
05-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Why don't you just follow the how-to. Says exactly what you need to go from a scratch install to using SEQ.

RUCDOC
05-10-2002, 10:33 PM
ok once again i am following the one for seq I need to know how to instal GCC 3.0.4
To restate not seq GCC

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 10:34 PM
You dont need to build gcc3.0.4... just follow the walkthrough.. install all the gcc packages it tells you to, and you will be fine... dont get too creative.. just follow the walkthrough..

--Jeeves

RUCDOC
05-10-2002, 10:37 PM
i did when i install redhat 7.2 i installed every thing but the newest gcc it had on the disk was 2.9.5 which is .0.5 to old i need 3 so how do i take the gcc 3.0.4 source code i downloaded and get it running

JoeBloe
05-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Look closer.

I'm using RH7.2 and it came with the right compiler. You just have to select it during the install.

RUCDOC
05-10-2002, 10:56 PM
ok to resay what i have been trying to get at here. I have no clue about linux when i installed i did everything, ichecked the install everything button and the select individual items button then sellected everything in the list but there was no gcc3 i do the gcc -v and it comes back useing gcc 2.9.5. if some one could just stop telling me what im not doing or what they did right and just tell me how to install this stupid compiler i would be happy.

JoeBloe
05-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Try typing gcc3 -v

RUCDOC
05-10-2002, 11:02 PM
tried it already it comes back command not found I checked for the rpm its not there.

JoeBloe
05-10-2002, 11:18 PM
The GCC3 RPM is on CD2 of the RedHat 7.2 install. Use the commands:

rpm -ivh gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh gcc3-objc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

to install it. Might be other packages missing too.

You might want to reinstall though. You didn't follow the instructions correctly. Follow the RH7.2 clean install instructions and I guarantee you will have GCC3. And you won't have to go through al of this stress.

RUCDOC
05-11-2002, 08:17 AM
ok number one i followed the instructions exactly and i still dont have it. its not on disc 1 or disc two. i have the source code for gcc3 that i downloaded from gnu, can someone just tell me how to install it, and stop telling me stuff i don't need to know or that dont work.

high_jeeves
05-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Go to the GNU forums for information on how to install GNU software.. this is the ShowEQ forums... gcc3 IS on the Redhat 7.2 disks (I just looked, its there, I promise)... Everyone else who is running 7.2 found them, and installed them, just like it says to do in the walkthrough...

If you want to build your own gcc for whatever reason, you need to read the documentation/visit the newgroups related to that product... We are not general linux support here, we are ShowEQ support..

--Jeeves