PDA

View Full Version : libEQ.a

jphrique
05-11-2002, 12:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Linux, and have never tried installing ShowEQ before.

I read the README.libEQ, checked the checksum on the file I downloaded, everything looks good. I copied the file (libEQ.a)into /usr/local/lib, but the ./configure still says that libEQ.a was not found.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

rencro
05-11-2002, 12:31 AM
try /usr/lib/ for libEQ.a

jphrique
05-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I tried putting it there as well...I'm going to restart and see if I just messed something up...

jphrique
05-11-2002, 12:37 AM
still no luck...no idea what could be wrong.

Gallarien
05-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi folks,

I am also getting the message libEQ.a not found, during configure.

I'm not new to linux or showeq. Mine has been working on multiple systems for a long time. My setup quit working a couple of weeks ago, so .....

Update my installation from CVS and get the libEQ.a from smurfette. The md5cksum matches as well as the file ownership and permissions. I've tried it in the /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib directories. I know the file was not mangled in xfer.

I use the following to update my showeq area:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login
cvs -z3 update linux
cvs logout

Yet I get the libEQ.a not found during ./configure. If I put the old libEQ.a in place, the configure phase completes normally.

I have also ran the ldconfig command as well. No help.

Any suggestions?

Im running a RH 7.2 system with the following:
qt -2.3.1-5, qt-devel-2.3.1-5, libpcap-0.6.2-9
glibc-2.2.4-19.3, libstdc++-2.96-98, gcc-2.96-98
libtool-1.4-8, autoconf-2.13-14, automake-1.4p5-2

TIA,
~Galla

lost
05-15-2002, 12:26 PM
there are going to a be a few important things to look at. first MAKE sure the md5sum matches. The error does not explain very much at all about what the real problem is. Maybe someone might want to fix that in a later patch? Most of the time this error comes up from an old libEQ file. run find / -name "libEQ.a" and remove and copies that come up. Download and copy the proper version to /usr/local/lib and run ldconfig. If this doesnt work you are more then likely having some issue with your compiler. Check your config.log for the libEQ.a error message, a few lines above that there should be an attempt to compile an application and its miserable failure right after that. Copy and paste that back here so i can take a look.

Gallarien
05-15-2002, 12:43 PM
This problem is really perplexng.

With the old /usr/lib/libEQ.a
(md5sum a38ceb68b70e0bc2ea5147fa50f73)
configure and compile = OK

Ran the find as you suggested and tried 2 libEQ.a files
(md5sum f1ddd1ffa527125ed09ac5543d1f85b0)
configure = Fail (libEQ.a not found.

Also removed the config.cache file before each retry. It appears to be the ProcessPacket function that is failing the test.

configure:7639: checking for ProcessPacket in -lEQ
configure:7661: c++ -o conftest.C -g -O2 conftest.C -lEQ -lgdbm -lz -lpcap -lpthread 1>&5
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../libEQ.a(libEQ.o)(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

high_jeeves
05-15-2002, 01:32 PM
Here is the key:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../

see the 2.96? You are trying to configure with gcc2.96 instead of 3.0+... libEQ.a was built with the gcc3 name mangling, so gcc2.96 doesnt like it.. make sure you set your CC, and C++ environment variables, as the install guide says.

--Jeeves

Gallarien
05-15-2002, 07:28 PM
OK, My libEQ.a not found during configure problem was the lack of gcc3 pkgs, etc.

I ran up Zaphod's procedure and following it tto the letter.

When installing and compiling the qt-2.3.2 pkg I have the following problem.

$ cd /opt
$ gtar xzvf <download_dir>/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
$ gunzip -c <download_dir>/qt-2.3.2-gcc3.patch | patch -p 0
$ mv qt-2.3.2 qt-gcc3-2.3.2
$ cd qt-gcc3-2.3.2
$ . /opt/bin/useqt232
$ configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

There is no configure in my path or in the /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 directory and no make file there either.

Am I missing something ?

Also, the procedure specifies,

$ make

after the configure. Should if be followed with a make install before proceeding with the showeq configure and compile?

Apprec the help and patience,
~Galla

Clancie
05-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Gallarien

There is no configure in my path or in the /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 directory and no make file there either.

I had some trouble using the useqt232 file. Permissions on the file were not allowing it to be executed and even after changing that I would not see the environment mods I expected to see.

As a work around I just type in manually the contents of the useqt232 file. (Without the quotes to the screen)

-C

S_B_R
05-16-2002, 03:58 PM
OK, My libEQ.a not found during configure problem was the lack of gcc3 pkgs, etc.

I ran up Zaphod's procedure and following it tto the letter.

When installing and compiling the qt-2.3.2 pkg I have the following problem.

$ cd /opt
$ gtar xzvf <download_dir>/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
$ gunzip -c <download_dir>/qt-2.3.2-gcc3.patch | patch -p 0
$ mv qt-2.3.2 qt-gcc3-2.3.2
$ cd qt-gcc3-2.3.2
$ ./opt/bin/useqt232
$ configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

Am I missing something ?

Also, the procedure specifies,

$ make

after the configure. Should if be followed with a make install before proceeding with the showeq configure and compile?

Apprec the help and patience,
~Galla

For an added level of difficulty Zaphod left out the ./ from his configure line ;) it should read as follows:
./configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

Zaphod
05-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Clancie, that's because you are trying to execute useqt232, when the instructions say to source it, notice the space between the dot (.) at the beginning of the command line and the leading slash (/).

So it reads:

. /opt/bin/useqt232

S_B_R, depends on your PATH, if your PATH includes the current working directory (not best practice, but not uncommon).

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

S_B_R
05-17-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod
S_B_R, depends on your PATH, if your PATH includes the current working directory (not best practice, but not uncommon).

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Well that's true but, if someone has their root env setup with . in their $PATH.. ... ..They need serious help. Not only would that not be on the "Best Practices" list, that would be number 2 on the "Worst Practices" list, right after setting the root password to a dictionary word...

If that's how you run your system Zaphod I'd be surprised.. ;) Maybe I'm exaggerating but in the environment I work in, something like that could get you in BIG trouble, if not fired... :(

Gallarien
05-17-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by S_B_R

For an added level of difficulty Zaphod left out the ./ from his configure line ;) it should read as follows:
./configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

> ...

I tried the ./configure and even a Make -f Makefile.dist as well as did a find from /. There was no configure in the directory or one found that I thought was applicable.

Anyway, I trudged on wth Zap's procedure and showeq build, installed and works. WaHooo !

Awesome job too fellows. I have been limping my old version along for several months now. Hacking it when necessary to keep it running. Your current version looks very nice. Well done and thanks !

~Galla

S_B_R
05-17-2002, 08:04 PM

> ...

I tried the ./configure and even a Make -f Makefile.dist as well as did a find from /. There was no configure in the directory or one found that I thought was applicable.

Anyway, I trudged on wth Zap's procedure and showeq build, installed and works. WaHooo !

Awesome job too fellows. I have been limping my old version along for several months now. Hacking it when necessary to keep it running. Your current version looks very nice. Well done and thanks !

~Galla

Well I bet you installed the qt rpm that Zaphod built then didn't you? If that's the case then of course there was no configure or Makefile.dist. the configure and make command are for when you are compiling source code, not installing an rpm... :D

Zaphod
05-17-2002, 11:14 PM
S_B_R, my root isn't configured that way, but I never, ever, compile as root (no, not even the kernel). I'd be suprised if you did a build of a third party utility from source as root (it would be tied for number 2 under "Worst Practices"). The only build related thing I do as root is doing a make install (not thrilled about that one either, but not much you can do to get around it). One latent bug in a makefile or configure script run as root could be quite nasty. I'm not even thinking malicious stuff, just the usual, "oh, you have your environment variable BLAH set THAT way" causing something to fail.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

S_B_R
05-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Zaphod
S_B_R, my root isn't configured that way, but I never, ever, compile as root (no, not even the kernel). I'd be suprised if you did a build of a third party utility from source as root (it would be tied for number 2 under "Worst Practices"). The only build related thing I do as root is doing a make install (not thrilled about that one either, but not much you can do to get around it). One latent bug in a makefile or configure script run as root could be quite nasty. I'm not even thinking malicious stuff, just the usual, "oh, you have your environment variable BLAH set THAT way" causing something to fail.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

You're correct, and as I said I would've been surprised if you had yours setup that way. I ment not disrespect by saying that.
I was just looking at it from the perspective of a "fresh redhat 7.2 install" where . is not in the $PATH (for any user) by default. So since no where in your instructions did you say to add that to the $PATH I assumed your configure line was either a typo or an effort to increase the "cost of entry" for showeq.

About the make install, shouldn't you be able to use configure options to get around running the make install as root? i.e. install it to a user dir and then move the files into place as root or set uid on the bin? Maybe I'm off base here, after all it's your code :D and I guess you were probably refering to "other" third party utilities... ;)

Well, in the end I'd like to say thanks for all the work you and the rest of the devs have done on SEQ. I don't think I'd be playing EQ still without it. I wish I had any useful C knowledge to lend to the effort, but some how I think you guys a far beyond the "Hello World" phase... :D Anyways thanks again, from a lowly system admin...