PDA

View Full Version : Spawns won't animate, everything else is fine

vmlinuz
05-11-2002, 09:53 PM
This particular seq machine is only running 32 megs of ram so that is very likely the reason seq won't let me turn on the 'fast machine' option. It's a pII 333, but the ram is really low, up until this point i've gotten around that by making manual updates to the data structs.

I was hoping someone might have an idea for something else to try, the ram will likely be upgraded soon, but i'd hate to install it and still not be able to tell it to animate the spawns.

I can check the fast machine option, but it doesn't actually work, and it doesn't save in preferences.

Catt
05-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Spawn animation is a separate option from fast machine, it was mentioned specifically in the upate post. It is off (false) by default, I turned mine on, as it just was not right without smooth movement of spawns.

edit: damn typos ;)

vmlinuz
05-11-2002, 10:55 PM
thanks, i looked a bit more and found it rightclicking on the map. why in the world would it be turned of by default? i ruled that out as a possibility too soon it seems, i thought for sure it was just looking at my lack of ram and insisting that i would need more to animate the spawns.

The new configuration files seem awkward, and many preferences don't save. I find that i cannot display unknown spawns with code off cvs today, but maybe i haven't tried enough yet. I did turn on show>unknown spawns, thinking that would do it, but maybe something else does it. Tells also don't show up in that channels window i can't get to not pop up by default, even though the tells box is checked. But these are small problems, for the most part seq is working fine : )

nino2469
05-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Is this referring to how the spawns look to just move after a screen refresh. They are in one spot then another a moment later. I know before I patched they just moved around the screen.

Catt
05-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Yes, the animation is between actual updates of position, tends to smooth out the movements, rather than them jumping form spot to spot.

Zaphod
05-13-2002, 12:36 PM
vmlinuz,
[list=1]
Read the announcement messages and the CHANGES file they are your friends.
Animation defaults to off to allow those with slow machines (and I don't mean a pII-333, more like a P-150, and yes we have people using ShowEQ on them) to be able to have a chance of functioning by default. Working by default on slower machines has been a long standing issue that I decided to fix.
As it said (once again in the announcement message and change log) the creation of unknown spawns is now seperate from their display. So in the "Options" menu you can set the global parameter that controls the creation and management of unknown spawns by selecting the "Create Unknown Spawns" option. While the ability to show unknown spawns is controlled on a per-map basis by going to the "Show" sub-menu of each maps menu (gotten to by right clicking on the map) and checking "Unknown Spawns".
As far as "many preferences don't save", did you actually choose the "Save Preferences" menu pick from the "File" menu? If you did you'd find that most of those preferences (if not all, but including the ones you mentioned) actually do get saved if the setting is changed in the GUI. As mentioned in (once again) one of the change announcements, preferences are no longer automatically saved on exit.
(once again, and I'll even quote this time) FastMachine "now just controls 2D integer vs. 3D floating point distance calculation."
[/list=1]

If you haven't been reading the announcements and CHANGES file, here's a link for you and others that don't (http://www.hookedonphonics.com/) ;)

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)