PDA

View Full Version : networking seq

rww
05-13-2002, 06:06 PM
I have a external usb dsl modem.
I believe it uses pppoe, windows xp.
On second machine i have linux redhat 7.2.

What do i need in order to use seq?

high_jeeves
05-13-2002, 07:17 PM
A new DSL service provider, or use Linux as your gateway...

SEQ cant sniff PPPOE packets (they are in a different format), so you have to run like this:

DSL <---PPPOE---> Linux <eth0> SEQ <eth1> <---- UDP ----> EQ

--Jeeves

rww
05-13-2002, 11:03 PM
would direct tv dsl work?
Says it has static ip address, uses tcp/ip.

high_jeeves
05-13-2002, 11:07 PM
The service doesnt matter as much as your internal network... SEQ has to see UDP, even if the ISP uses PPPOE, you can still set your internal network up to use straight ethernet, and convert to PPPOE using a computer, or router that supports PPPOE (many off the shelf ones do)

--Jeeves

rww
05-14-2002, 03:56 AM
The service doesnt matter as much as your internal network... SEQ has to see UDP, even if the ISP uses PPPOE, you can still set your internal network up to use straight ethernet, and convert to PPPOE using a computer, or router that supports PPPOE (many off the shelf ones do)

can you recommend a good site that will show me how to do this?
Also, My dsl modem is a external USB, will this work?

high_jeeves
05-14-2002, 08:24 AM
I dont think linux supports USB DSL (not 100% sure on that tho)... no router will support it either... you will need 3 machines to acheive what you want to do here:

DSL <--PPPOE--> Win <---> SEQ <---> EQ

--Jeeves

LordCrush
05-14-2002, 01:05 PM
Hiya,

You will have to set it up like all your devices are on one "wire" :)

....................HUB (NO!!! Switch)
...............---------------------------
...............|...............|................|
.........ROUTER.....EQ-BOX.....SEQ-BOX
...............|
........DSL-MODEM
...............|
.......wild wide world

or with Linux Router :

...............HUB (NO!!! Switch) / CorssOverCable
...............-------------
...............|..............|
.......SEQ-BOX
.......ROUTER......EQ-BOX
...............|
.......DSL-MODEM
...............|
.....wild wide world

Your problem is the USB - DSL Modem

I assume you use the Windows DIAL-UP-NETWORK as "router".

If that is right this little tool might help you. As the thread says it copies packets from DUN-Network to the local ethernet.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=753

I have never tried it (using extended version 1 :D ). Your network-layout would be then:

...............HUB (NO!!! Switch) / CorssOverCable
...............-------------
...............|..............|
.......SEQ-BOX......EQ-BOX
...........................DUN/UDPecho
...............................|
.........................DSL-MODEM
...............................|
..........................wild wide world

you need 2 ethernetcards and a crossovercable, the correct internal ip-addressing eg 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0.

I hope it helps a little

Regards

- Lord Crush

high_jeeves
05-14-2002, 01:32 PM
I had thought about UDP echo.. the problem is that UDP echo uses winpcap, instead of installing itself as an ethernet driver (which would be much more complex)... I am assuming that winpcap is ALSO going to see the PPPOE traffic, instead of the UDP traffic... not 100% sure on this, but it stands to reason that if it is truly a "packet capture" library, it is going to capture the packets that are going out on the line, not their intermediate values...

This is true with VPN software (it captures the encrypted packet, instead of the original packet)..

--Jeeves

LordCrush
05-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Hmmm... sounds like it would not work then with UPDecho :mad: ... as i said never tried it - but then the only way is to get the USB-DSL-Modem work with linux - not sure about that or to change the modem to a device that can talk over ethernet, in order to get the linux box do the routing or use a hardware-router.

If linux does not support USB-DSL you have to change the DSL-Modem. Before you talk with your provider about connecting a Router you should have a look on your contract ;) some Provider prohibit the use of a router especially with a flat-rate.

A third possibility would be to connect the USB-DSL Modem to a second Windows-Box and use it with a aditional Router sowftware... But you need a 3rd PC for this :(

Regards

- Lord Crush

rww
05-14-2002, 02:55 PM
I am considering changing to directv dsl.

they use a gateway, technical specs as they list:
- power pc 860 processor 50 mhz clock speed.
- ethernet (10baseT or 10/100BaseT)
- static IP address

To connect more than one computer to the directtv gateway:
-get a dsl router capable of ip masking and NAT(network
address translation) and include a ethernet hub.

Will this work?

Yueh
05-14-2002, 04:33 PM
I may be way off here but are you referring to DirecTV sattelite internet? If so, don't! The minimum theoretical ping you could have is around 2 seconds, realistic is more like 4 or 5. EQ would be very painful.

rww
05-14-2002, 07:42 PM
no, that is different.
I am referring to directtv dsl.

directTV (http://www.directvdsl.com/)

LordCrush
05-14-2002, 11:34 PM
rrw ,

that seems to be version 1 in my posting - you need the one with ethernetconnector and a HUB (not a SWITCH :D ) and connect all 3 boxes to the hub.

I dont know whether the dsl-gateway has router capabilities.

In the case it cannot act as a router you can use you seq-box as a router with a second ethernetinterface (version 2).

- Lord Crush

fryfrog
05-29-2002, 10:13 PM
found your thread through your other thread... you might take a look at www.ipcop.org or smoothwall.com (though i suggest ipcop). i use ipcop and during setup it DOES mention usb dsl/cable devices as being an option. it would require something along the lines of a p100 w/ 16-32mb of ram and a small (300mb?) hd but it might just work for you (and your current provider!).