PDA

View Full Version : Problems on Mandrake 8.2 with make

Hedge
05-13-2002, 09:13 PM
I am trying to follow monkey679 "HOWTO: Installing ShowEQ on Mandrake 8.1 Clean Install" tutorial to install and get ShowEQ running on Mandrake 8.2 under Gnome. Everything was going fine until I tried section 2b)
------------------------------------------------------
cd /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/
./configure -thread
make (optional -j2 or -j3)
------------------------------------------------------
After I run the make command I get this
-----------------------------------------------------
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
cd src/moc; make
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
g++-3.0.4 -c -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -Who-unused -Who-parenthesis -pipe -02
-Wall -W -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -I../../include -I../tools -I. -o moc
gen.o mocgen.cpp
make[2]: g++-3.0.4: Command not found
make[2]: *** [mocgen.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/'
make: *** [int] Error 2
Now I really don't understand what this means. I though that the gcc and g++- were possibly the same thing but now I am not so sure. I browsed around the boards here looking for an answer but everything I have tried has come up with the same end result. When I type in
gcc
and hit the tab key I get the following
gcc gcc-2.96 gcc-3.0.4 gcc3-version
I have edited the linux-g++-shared file to show the gcc-3.0.4 and the g++-3.0.4 in the appropriate places but still no go. I am looking forward to learning more about the Linux OS but I have a long way to go :) Can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Hedge
05-14-2002, 11:11 AM
I would like to answer my own question for any other Linux newbies out there that have run into the same problem. It turns out I just did not have all the RPMs installed. You know that long list of things to install at the very beginning. Well since I am a complete Linux newb I really did not understand that part or even know what a RPM was (still don't actually other than I think it is kind of like a DLL in windows but not sure) so I did not know how to install them or even check to see if I already had them etc. After some digging around I found this thing in Gnome that allows you to check for already installed RPM's as well as ones you have not installed. Turns out I was missing about 12 of them. After installing them I am recompiling (as we speak) and so far so good. So for any newbs out there like me make sure you have ALL of the RPMs installed that are listed in the tutorial.

Today was a good day. I learned something.

Cryonic
05-14-2002, 11:37 AM
RPM == Redhat Package Manager. Think InstallShield under Windows.

For all users of RPM based distros, you might want to read the following online book:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/books/max-rpm/index.html

Hedge
05-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Is it called the same thing under Mandrake? I just want to get all my terminology correct. Thanks for ansering that for me btw.