PDA

View Full Version : newbie in need of help

Rhaal
05-14-2002, 10:12 PM
Hi, just got and installed RedHat 7.1 (yes, I know it's a somewhat old version, but since I am just trying out linux it didnt matter much to me).

I would like to try and get showEQ up and running, been reading boards for several hours, but i havent found anything good specificly for redhat 7.1, is this even needed?

I know very little of linux, as I said I just installed it today, and have no background knowledge of it really, so what I would need is really a spoiler for a 5 year old starting from scratch hehe.

I am getting quite enraged with trying to install this and have very little clue of what to do, I assume that when I have to.

I am logged in as "root", and I am guessing that when I am supposed to write the different things that the guides are telling me, I have to use the [email protected] console thingy, is that correct? anyways when I use that, and type whatever I am instructed to, it comes with error messages all the time.

If anyone could give me a link to a good guide to install under 7.1, or could give me a few words of wisdom of their own it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

high_jeeves
05-14-2002, 10:39 PM
You really need to learn some of the basics of the system before you try to do this... You are going to have to make your own judgements on how to get it running using the 7.2 guide (I dont think anyone here is going to waste their time writing an install guide for an old version, just for you)...

I would try a few sites to learn how to use linux before you annoy everyone here:

www.linux.org
www.linuxnewbie.net

--Jeeves

Rhaal
05-15-2002, 01:32 AM
Didn't expect anyone to sit down and type a complete guide for me =o] more like small advices (like yourself) or a link to a guide (must be a link to a redhat 7.1 guide somewhere out there).

Well, as you adviced I started using a 7.2 guide, hoping I had the files needed i stepped on to running the batch, but learned that I didnt, so i started reinstalling linux.

my problem now is, that I am lacking alot of files at the installation of linux 7.1 (the list of files i needed to choose when making it). This is the list that I either cannot find, or that is not on the CD.

freetype
gd
gdbm
glibc
glibc-common
libgcc
libjpeg
libmng
libpcap
libpng
libstdc++3
libtool-libs
m4
zlib
XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs

Is there any other ways to get these files? if so, how?
Are there replacements on the linux 7.2 CD that I might as well use?
Is there a guide to linux 7.1? hehe

thanks.

bonkersbobcat
05-15-2002, 02:44 AM
You can download (for free) all of the files you need from www.redhat.com or you can search for them using rpmfind.net.

The RedHat site can be quite busy but there is a list of mirror sites there as well.

You can also get complete ISO CD images from these sites, where you can burn your own bootable install CDROMS, just as if you had purchased the boxed version of RedHat.