PDA

View Full Version : can windows echo with 2x NICs

internetmafia
05-15-2002, 12:34 AM
heres my current setup, i run a 100mbit switch/router and dont want to take the performance hit that a hub gives(collisions and loosing my full duplex) but i have a spare NIC can i make winblows XP echo traffic from my primary NIC to a secondary one which could be attached to the hub.

monster69
05-15-2002, 07:12 AM
Search the forums for "udpecho" and you may find your answers.

The better answer of course is to put both your NICs in your Linux box and let it be your "Internet Connection Sharing" box.

Monster

high_jeeves
05-15-2002, 08:20 AM
UDP echo should work, but what in the world are you doing that you "Really" need a switch vs a hub? How many machines do you have hooked up to it? if its less than about 5 very active machines, you really arent going to see much speed improvement...

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
05-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Internetmafia, I moved to a 100MBit hub for the same reason you are asking this question and my performance is great now. I even went as far as planning to put 2 nics in my boxen and having custom route tables so EQ/Internet traffic would go through the 10MBit hub and other LAN traffic would go through the switch. In the end I just spent the 30 bucks on a D-Link DSH-5 100MBit hub. I have a server, an seq laptop, and 2 EQ machines on my network now and I can still get all the LAN performance I need on the hub.

Unless you're pulling CAD files or steaming high res video across it to multiple machines, you won't notice the difference. Hell, until a few short years ago, whole offices used to run on 10MBit hubs!