PDA

View Full Version : g++ version greater than 3.0 where?

mbiwpeoyc
05-15-2002, 08:31 AM
I tried Dr_Madd's link and it's broken.
The version of g++ that I've got (mandrake 8.2) is 2.96, I've checked the install CD's and that's as high as they go. Will the rpms from rpmfinder, for redhat work with mandrake? if so problem solved, if not, where do I go to get a version of g++ that's 3.0+?

I'll state again already tried ftp://henington.net and it will not work for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Mr. Suspicious
05-15-2002, 08:50 AM
Goto http://rpmfind.net/

Enter "gcc" in the searchbox, click enter.

Put mandrake in the "system box" and it'll show you the mandrake ones. One listed there 3+

mbiwpeoyc
05-15-2002, 10:56 AM
You sir are a god =)

Thank you...although I feel a bit sutpid for not seeing that myself but it happens....

lost
05-15-2002, 12:30 PM
whatever happened to compiling your own gcc? this whole if its not in an rpm i cant install it attitude really sucks. were not running windows here people.

mbiwpeoyc
05-15-2002, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately not all of us are blessed with linux knowledge. I'm trying to learn and it's this attitude right here that makes me not want to, we come here for help not for flames.

Point me at the freakin howto on compiling gcc be a help....not a hinderance...that's why I posted on the HELP desk.

I only know how to RPM, if I knew how to compile my own I would. Just remeber just cause it's easy and second nature to you doesn't mean it is to everyone else.

S_B_R
05-15-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by mbiwpeoyc
Point me at the freakin howto on compiling gcc be a help....Unfortunately most come here asking for help before they even look for any help that may already exist... That IS the problem, people asking the same questions over and over and over again does become quite annoying and counter productive to anyone who has a truely unique problem. If those that come here, asking for help, would simply stop and look before they ask, things would become much more productive in the end...

Just my 2cp.... :rolleyes:

high_jeeves
05-15-2002, 05:06 PM
Go to the gcc homepage.. there is plenty of information on their website for building their product (go figure!)... try searching google for their website..

--jeeves

CoolGuyEQ
05-16-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by lost
whatever happened to compiling your own gcc? this whole if its not in an rpm i cant install it attitude really sucks. were not running windows here people.

And not everyone has a fast machine they are running Linux on and wants to wait days for gcc to compile, either...

CGEQ

TweedleDee
05-16-2002, 03:26 PM
You mean there is a way to get GCC running without compiling it? /boggle Wait till my k6/2 400 hears about that! ;)

Tis still good to at least know how to compile your C dev platform unless you never plan on changing your linux dist. - though an RPM will save me quite a bit of time.

UncleBen
05-16-2002, 08:34 PM
hmmm, I have 8.2 intalled and it has gcc-3.0.4 and g++-3.0.4 on it.

it's even on disk one I belive, you sure you don't have it :p

goto your console and type. "gcc" then hit tab, I bet you have it installed already. should be there if you chose all development packages during install