PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with SEQ and Networking

n00b001
05-15-2002, 07:37 PM
After spending some time looking around and fooling around with SEQ I'm guessing my network setup just isn't going to work. Maybe someone here can tell me? I have my DSL going into my EQ computer and my EQ computer going into my hub with my SEQ box and another EQ computer.

Like this I guess: DSL>EQBox>Hub<SEQBox
^
2nd EQBox

From what I can gather you have to have the DSL going into a Router or the SEQBox.

2nd EQBox
|
Like this: DSL>Router>Hub<SEQBox
^
EQBox

Or this: DSL>SEQBox>Hub<EQBox
^
2nd EQBox

Am I understanding this right? If so, is there anyway to get SEQ to work with my current setup?

Edit: Can't seem to get stuff to line up, sorry.

Gallarien
05-15-2002, 08:12 PM
My guess is that you will NOT be able to run showEq against your EQbox that is being used as your DSL gateway. The EQ packets are being sent directly to the Internet source and your ShowEQ Box has no access to them.

You should be able to run showEq against your 2nd EQbox. The hub is a physical layer1 device and your showEQ box will be able to see the packets as they travel to your gateway box.

My suggestion would be to use your showEQ box as your DSL/Internet gateway and setup a firewall on it. You could then run showEq against both if your EQ boxes.

~Galla

LordCrush
05-15-2002, 11:32 PM
Your problem was dicussed a short time ago ....

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1156

:D Be aware that search is your friend :D

BTW use points rahter than blanks for linup :)

Regards

- Lord Crush

Leetlewon
05-17-2002, 02:16 PM
Isn't that thread about PPOE....?

SEQ is a packet sniffer, so you need to make sure the box running SEQ is able to see the packets traveling back and forth from the internet to your EQ machine. The way to do this is to stick a hub between your DSL and the EQ box, and plug the SEQ box into the hub.

DSL<---->hub<---->EQ box
SEQ box---^

You may need to adjust the settings on your SEQ box so that it routes correctly out to the internet under the new configuration.

Edit: leading spaces get removed from lines here, so I changed the little network map

S_B_R
05-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by LordCrush
BTW use points rahter than blanks for linup :)

Actually it would probably be best to use the "code" vb tage and then use spaces there. for example:

....d...o...t...s
....D...O...T...S

c o d e
C O D E

LordCrush
05-20-2002, 11:55 PM
thnx - never tried the vb code tage

- Lord Crush

S_B_R
05-21-2002, 08:12 AM
No Problem, I'm just picky like that ;)

n00b001
05-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Just want to say thanks, I did get SEQ working on my second EQ box and now undestand how it works and what I was doing wrong.