PDA

View Full Version : 2 computers being monitored at same time

ladybat
05-16-2002, 06:21 PM
I have been looking thru some of the posts I could find on this topic and was wondering if I could ask for a little help.

I run up to 7 accounts all at the same time.....I have always been happy simply using SEQ to monitor just oen eq client.....but there have been a few times Id like to be able to monitor a second eq session in a different zone.

Ive read thru some searchs but think Im not even perhaps searching for the right searhc ( lol)...

While it's not critical I would like on ocassion to be able to monitor 2 different computers in 2 different eq zones........

can someone help me out with a simple explanation on how to go about doing this? I am completly self taught on seq and linux and always get a bit "touchy" when it comes to modifying files unless I really know what I am doing.

Is it as easy as simply making some kind of modification to the conf file?

( btw I currently run seq from root)

if you dont want to help but know what phrase I should be searching for I would appreciate that help also...but if its simple to do I would appreciate your showing me a example.

Thank you kindly

Michelle

Dedpoet
05-16-2002, 07:48 PM
There are a couple ways to do this depending on the approach you want to take.

1) Run a second instance of seq on a separate Linux desktop. You can montior a different IP when you start the second session. You would need to switch between them though, so that may or may not suit your needs.

2) You can export your display to another Linux box or a windows box running an xserver emulator and watch it that way. How to do that is really beyond the reach of this board, but I know there are guys on here that do this. Casey and Ratt I think both do this. I think it's Casey that runs 4 seq sessions served off the same Linux box.

It takes a little work and a little knowledge, but isn't that tough really. Maybe try searching for "xserver" and see what you come up with.

ladybat
05-16-2002, 09:03 PM
ive bene trying this for a bit tontie and its working...I start seq on the usualy mahcine that has the ip listed innthe conf file....

then I start up a second instance of seq and tell it to monitor next eq client seen...i then start up the second eq and so far its been doing great!!!

Cryonic
05-16-2002, 11:50 PM
showeq --ip-address=eq.cli.ent.one
showeq --ip-address=eq.cli.ent.two

KaL
05-17-2002, 08:55 AM
I use two different .conf files, one for myself, and one for my girlfriend. Her X display gets kicked out to a Compaq IA-1 (Web appliance) and mine runs on the monitor of the Linux machine next to my EQ machine. Works great. I put the IP address in the conf file, then run it like this:

Xterm 1:
export DISPLAY=192.168.0.111:0 (the Compaq web appliance)
showeq -o gfconf.conf

Xterm 2:
showeq -o myconf.conf

Two sessions run ok on a 400mhz P2, but slower since the big patch that changed the packet structure.

While decoding, they lag a lot.

Of course, now that the defs are in an XML file, you'd have to do it differently if you are using the latest CVS.

Kal

Aurelius
05-17-2002, 09:18 AM
I have three win boxes and one linux box (all work as they should). My only real difficulty occurs when I try to monitor an EQW dual session (I also have access to 6 accounts). When I run just max of three accounts, no problem, I just start up three superuser terminals on the linux, verify the address of each machine and load them up one at a time (as sometimes even though I type /usr/local/bin/showeq 192.168.1.110 ; 192.168.1.111 and 192.168.1.112, the first eq client that logs in sometimes ends up on all three desktops).

So I load each very carefully, type the command for the windows box, load eq and log in, then move on to the second machine etc. Then it is just a matter of switching the desktop window to the one needed. This is my method in a nutshell. Hope it helps, if not, oh well I'll get over it )). Good luck.