PDA

View Full Version : I need help optimizing linux (I previously posted this in the wrong forum... oops)

Smog
05-18-2002, 11:28 AM
I'm a linux novice, so here's your chance to show your Linux Uberness. The computer that I installed all this on is not blazing fast. Its a Pentium II 233mmx with 128MB of ram and a 2gig(maybe a little bigger) hard drive.

I can run ShowEQ, I can browse the net... that's all I want this box for so its cool. But I'd like to streamline it so that it won't be so laggy. Here is a list of Process's that are running when I have nothing open (besides Xwindows) If anyone could suggest Packages that I could uninstall to free up resources and just generally get my ShowEQ box to run better I would greatly appretiate it.

X
artsd
ATD
bdflush
cat
crond
cupsd
dcopserver
devfsd
dhcpcd
gpm
init
iplog (listed 5x)
kapm-idled
Kded
Kdeinit
Kdesktop
Kdm (listed 2x)
KevenTD
Kicker
Klauncher
Klogd
Knotify
Kreclaimd
KMserver
Ksoftirgd_cpu0
kswapd
Ksysguard
Ksysguard
Ksysguardd
Kupdated
Kwin
Kwrited
mdrecoveryd
medusa-idled
mingetty (listed 6x)
portmap
startkde
syslogd
XFS
Xinetd

Also, on a side note, but FAR less important. I shamba installed but when I try and browse my network to my windows computer it gives the error: Could not connect to host LocalHost
and yes, I know that I'm going to feel dumb when I figure this one out. Lol

P.S. I would have asked this question in a General Linux forum but last time I did that the suggestions I recieved messed up showeq by removing components it needed. I'm asking you guys because you know what I do and do not need to have installed. Thanks!

casey
05-18-2002, 08:50 PM
stop running kde :)

Pigeon
05-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'd have to discourage using KDE on a lower end machine... there are a multitude of options available, just look for 'em

As for Samba- not sure what the problem is. (I've never used it) You can't browse your linux box from windows, or you can't browse windows from linux? Either way, try setting your /etc/hosts file to say your lan ip address for localhost rather than 127.0.0.1 (assuming you haven't already)

Mr. Suspicious
05-19-2002, 03:25 PM
Argl Casey and I thought looking at this posting:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1067&highlight=kde+gnome

that KDE gave the best performance.... (Gnome, Ice, and Blackbox being worse even)

Any other and less mana.. er... memory hogging X's out there you could recommend?

S_B_R
05-19-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious
Argl Casey and I thought looking at this posting:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1067&highlight=kde+gnome

that KDE gave the best performance.... (Gnome, Ice, and Blackbox being worse even)

Any other and less mana.. er... memory hogging X's out there you could recommend?

KDE did have the best performance for me but, that was becuase of another issue I (and a few others) seem to be having. Where X is taking up a very large percentage of the CPU while SEQ is running. If you're NOT seeing this same issue you'd probably be better off with Ice or Blackbox.

Smog
05-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Witch X should I use?

And, is there an easy way to switch from the control pannels or will I need to use the command line?

Should I simply disable KDE or actually uninstall the packages?

All your help is greatly appretiated.

On a side note, I have to say... Showeq is EXTREAMLY entertaining on booring raids. I watched our puller kite 20 mobs all over one of the planes the other night while everyone else was wondering what was going on. I watched him run into more and more mobs just making his train worse before he finally baught it. My ribs hurt, I was laughing so hard.

Mr. Suspicious
05-21-2002, 04:54 PM
If you have RedHat Linux you can use the

[]#switchdesk

command to switch through the various Window managers. (Linux 7.2 comes with Gnome, KDE, sawfish and Blackbox if I'm not mistaken)

Read more about it at the RedHat manual at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-x-clients.html