make[1]: Leaving directory `/showeq/showeq'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

This happens when running make after ./configure

jection
12-24-2001, 12:36 AM
changed the post

Zara
12-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Identical error here... tried reinstalling RedHat 7.2 four separate times from scratch and got the same error each time. Spent over 20 hours trying to get this to work (I'm on a Pentium 166, so just imagine the compile times just to get to this point) and am ready to pull my hair out.

Steps I followed :

1) installed RedHat 7.2 as a workstation with the default setting, but adding the Software Developer Tools when giving the option.

2) installed Gcc3 following Zaphod's instructions, reading it from the second CD since it doesn't install by default. No errors returned, and shows fully installed.

3) installed QT following Zaphod's instructions exactly, downloading it from ftp://www.trolltech.com. No visible errors when compiling, but considering it takes 3 1/2 hours to compile on my box, I didn't watch every line as it updated. If there was an error along the way, I didn't see it, and there were no visible errors at the end with it appearing to be 100% successful.

4) Downloaded LibEQ.a and put it in the proper directory.

5) Downloaded the SEQ source, again exactly following Zaphod's instructions, and was able to do the make -f Makefile.dist command with zero errors showing.

6) Typed ./configure and it went for about 7-8 minutes before getting the identical error mentioned by Jection in this thread.

Anyone out there have any ideas what will fix this? I have played around as much as I can with my limited Linux knowledge and haven't been able to figure out why this is happening or how to fix it.
Thanks in advance to whoever the Linux guru is that will post a solution for problem!

Zara

Ratt
12-24-2001, 01:17 PM
You did not compile QT with multithreading (-thread) or you are linking against the wrong QT libraries.

Zara
12-24-2001, 03:22 PM
Ratt,

I compiled the QT library twice with the long line of commands in Zaphod's post, and twice only using -thread, so that shouldn't be the issue. The exact lines I typed when compiling QT was:

./configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

the second thing I tried twice was :

./configure -thread

Every time I set the QT Dir with the exact instructions in Zaphod's post using the following:

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-2.3.2
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Those exports were done right before the ./configure's with the options listed above.

Then when done with QT and after downloading SEQ, I also retyped those paths plus the export CXX=g++3 export CC=gcc3 right before doing the make -f Makefile.dist. Do you need to enter those again before doing the ./configure for showeq after the make file is completed? Everything was done in the same terminal window, one step after the other.

I know when Linux installed, it did seem to install qt 2.3.1 by default. Could there be something pointing to that elsewhere that is causing the problem? I know when SEQ checks for QT it finds the 2.3.2 version (gives that message that 2.3.2 is found during the make when it does the check) so until your post I hadn't considered that a possible issue. If you think this is it, can you point me in the right direction with how to resolve this, because I really have no idea where to look.

If you can suggest anything else to try it would be greatly appreciated, and even if we can't get this working, I am still willing to send the SEQ dev team some pizza and beer for all their efforts over the past couple years!

Zara

Edit : I made one mistake in my initial post. The ./configure for Showeq ran fine, detected QT 2.3.2, and ran through no errors. The error itself occurs during the make process for showeq, not the ./configure. I screwed up in my original post and said it was during the ./configure when it is occuring during the make after the ./configure is completed.

fryfrog
12-24-2001, 11:00 PM
a few things:
first, for the original poster (this is a quote of his error) "/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib -lqt-mt -lpthread -lEQ /usr/lib/libgdbm.so -lz -lpcap" notice the "qt-2.3.1" in that error line. so, there you go... original poster is using the wrong qt.

second problem man:

you said you compiled qt-2.3.2 with ./configure -thread WITH gcc3, but i saw no mention of HOW you did this so i will assume you did what i did... which didn't actually result in a qt-2.3.2 compiled with gcc3.

if you are using rh7.2 (and i think you are) and you installed the gcc3 rpms... you will find gcc and gcc3 as well as g++ and g++3 installed on your system!

to tell QT to use this, edit the file ./configs/linux-g++-shared (i THINK this is the name, it is VERY close to this) in the source dir of qt and change ANY reference to "gcc" to "gcc3" and ANY reference to "g++" to "g++3" and THEN run ./configure and make (-j3 if you have dual cpus).

hope that helps you out :)

while "export CC=gcc3" and "export CXX=g++3" work for compiling most things, qt is (happily?) different :)

jection
12-25-2001, 07:42 PM
mine is working now

started from scratch again.

Just did ./configure -thread this time and all worked without flaw, one of the options in that other post likely causing it to configure in a way that the showeq make dont like.

sorry i didnt post sooner