PDA

View Full Version : No errors, No information on startup

tfadonis
05-22-2002, 12:46 PM
I am able to set the IP address of my EQ client but my SEQ does not parse, it doesn't even load the map. I've tried using the MAC address of my EQ computer but it doesn't make a difference. I have my SEQ and EQ machines hooked up to the same hub. The uplink to that hub is my cable modem. What do I do?

I am using Redhat 7.2 full install. I followed the walk-through from hackersquest.org.

Mr. Suspicious
05-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Have a nice day Alpha-citizen did you take your happy citizen pill today? If not, please report to the Consumption Enforcer Attachements. Remeber, not taking your happy citizen pill is regarded treason.

- WARNING WARNING this information is not cleared for ciizens of indigo clearance or less WARNING WARNING -

The searchbutton (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) is your friend. Not using it is treason and punished by accute termination. Courtisy by the Computer, the Computer is your friend.

Mr. Suspicious
05-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Don't edit your post after someone has posted a reply. It's bad form and makes it impossible to see by the poster if or if not you have answered or given any more information after he replied to your message.

I'll give a small hint: "your hub <> hub"

ofcourse this is a mild guess of my part, since you didn't give any information realy.

A wise man once said: To get the right answer, you need to ask the right question.

Now take this advice: take the word "hub", point your mouse to the top right side of te forum and press that "search" button. Now, place that word into the searchbox and hit enter. While you are reading through those pages and slowly discover that the thing you encounter has been discussed numerous times, please have a look at this one aswell: http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf

If after gathering all this knowledge, you still don't know, then come back and this time: "ask the right question"

Dedpoet
05-23-2002, 07:15 AM
Props on all the Paranoia references Mr. S. I'm not sure what was more fun, actually trying to play that game or just reading the book.

Good times...

-Dedpoet, who loves the computer (/em looks over both shoulders)

tfadonis
05-23-2002, 08:16 AM
I have been reading for the past few days and I have been unable to get the answer to my question. Mr. S, I know you know more than I do, and you know I do, so why don't you just help instead of trying to tell me to look elsewhere. It's easier to get the answer from one person than try to read every one else's questions and try to figure out what portion of the answers deals with your situation. I am using a 10/100 NIC in both computers, I have a 10/100 Linksys "etherfast" workgroup hub. I have used tcpdump and I don't know if I'm sniffing the packets from my EQ box or my linux box. tcpdump doesn't see my eq box. My EQ box can ping the Linux box and I can ping the EQ client with linux. Is my hub the problem? I think that is what you were leaning towards... Thanks in advance.

high_jeeves
05-23-2002, 08:41 AM
1) It might be faster for you, but this is your problem, not ours... If everyone asked a question, instead of looking for answers that were already posted, we would be here 8 hours a day answering the same 5 questions over and over again. Contrary to popular belief, answering questions on the SEQ message board doesnt pay very well. The onus is on YOU to answer your question, especially when it is as common as this.

2) If you try searching for something like "linksys" you will find your answer quite quickly.

--Jeeves

Yueh
05-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Mr. S, that SmoothWall preface is priceless. That should be the crowning sticky for this forum :)

tfadonis
05-23-2002, 10:23 AM
I saw in one message the bottom to ditch all Linksys, I'll try that.. Thanks

Dedpoet
05-23-2002, 10:58 AM
I actually had a post a few days ago that I couldn't believe how many threads there were with the word "Linksys" in them...it's up to about 3 pages.

Yes, the Linksys is your problem. It is a switch, despite being advertised as being a hub. Get yourself a Netgear DS104, D-Link DSH-5, or some other model that people have posted that work here. If your Linksys is one of those broadband routers, plug your new hub into that and then the machines into the new hub. If your Linksys is just the hub and you're doing your address translation some other way, just replace the Linksys.

Note that if you don't have some sort of NAT device (i.e. a broadband router) you may have problems hooking up 2 machines to your cable modem, depending upon your ISP. Most ISP's are only going to give out one IP address. I'm probably complicating this, but if you are going to do that with no router, you will need to make sure your Linux box isn't running DHCP. Otherwise whichever machine boots first will get an address from your ISP and the other one will get the shaft.

I've probably just opened a can of worms...

/em ducks

Mr. Suspicious
05-23-2002, 11:58 AM
so why don't you just help instead of trying to tell me to look elsewhere

Taken directly from http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf

Often, the person sending either of these replies has the manual or the webpage with the information you need open and is looking at it as he types. These replies mean that he thinks (a) the information you need is easy to find and (b) you will learn more if you seek out the information than if you have it spoon-fed to you.

You shouldn't be offended by this; by hackers standards, he is showing you a rough kind of respect, simply by not ignoring you.

Typing this reply, took me more time then it would have taken you to find the answer yourself using the little hint, or better even, look through the top 20 threadtitles and click the one with the topic title, that asks the "a similar" question.

tfadonis
05-23-2002, 05:09 PM
The only reason I didn't look at that pdf file is because I don't know which text reader will use in linux. It gave me a list and I haven't had to use that before.

Cryonic
05-23-2002, 05:20 PM
hmm, pdf, pdf, what opens a pdf... Oh yeah, Acrobat Reader or Xpdf... Funny, didn't think PDF was just a text document though.

tfadonis
05-24-2002, 05:33 PM
I tried another hub, and it works fine. I have an old Linksys hub that I am going to try but the new ones don't work.

Thanks for your help...