PDA

View Full Version : Is it my machine or a bug?

fuqjak
05-23-2002, 10:15 AM
I am having a problem with some zones decoding at all.

I see this problem in Lesser Faydark especially - I zone in and nothing happens. It appears as though I am at LOC 0,0,0 and it never does anything yet I can zone into GFay or Steamfont and it decodes within seconds.

Is this just a result of my slow ass machine not able to break the code (pentium 200 - I know, I need a new machine)

A lot of the zones I am having problems will decode the drops on the ground and my location but no mobs at all. I play 2 characters at the same time so I try to zone the 2nd character in after the first to insure the key is sent.

Fuqjak

anon2
05-23-2002, 10:55 AM
This happens to me sometimes as well. Linux for me is running on an AMD XP 1500+, 100 MBps Eternet, Linksys HUB (yes this one is an actual HUB), DSL Line. Yet sometimes, my EQ computer zones "too fast", and my ShowEQ doesn't "catch up".

Best thing to do is to just zone back out, and zone back in again if you really want mobs to decode. Usually I don't worry about it unless I'm there to scout a mob, I know my way around enough to not need SEQ 24/7. If zoning doesn't work, you could always camp out and back in again.

I think this really is an issue in zones with few people. I have NEVER had this happen in GD, Nexus, LOIO, GFay, etc. I zone a lot faster when there is nobody else in the zone, and this may be the cause.

Dedpoet
05-23-2002, 11:04 AM
Zoning out and then back in will often make this worse. SEQ is waiting for something to spawn so that it can break the encryption. You zoning out and back in just makes it have to start over again. If there aren't many people in the zone and no one is spawning a pet or killing anything, it could take hours to decode. Summon a pet, kill something and wait for a repop, tell your buddy to come into the zone, etc. This is why busy zones always decode - on my server there is almost always 100 people in WC, zoning in and out, killing things, etc.

There have been a few posts about SEQ "missing" the zone packet occasionally, but I think every time I have seen that, that person had their datarate.txt set very high. Reducing this has fixed it in all the posts I remember seeing.

[Edit - typo. Someone keeps moving my keys around :) ]

JoeyB
05-23-2002, 01:05 PM
Yes - reducing datarate.txt to 4 slowed my zone times down - it increased the reliability.

Yueh
05-23-2002, 01:48 PM
Anything you can do to reduce the network traffic while SEQ is trying to aquire the zone data and decrypt the key is helpful. I have a lot more trouble with this when I'm running two EQ sessions at the same time. Background network traffic from file transfers, etc up the odds of missing packets. A quiet network makes for a happy SEQ box :)