PDA

View Full Version : k a small networking problem

HFB
05-24-2002, 12:41 PM
K.
I got everything perfect except the sniffing part....

What I got:

3 Computers running Windows XP
1 Redhat 7.2 Linux Comp
1 Cable modem
All of these are plugged into my Linksys Router

Question:

I am using a linksys router thats 10/100 mbit
and i have 2 nic cards that are 100mbit.

Will this work ?

Question:

Do I need to go out and buy a different hub. ( if so which kind would you recommend with my setup )

Question:

Anything else that I need to know
:D

Thanks a ton

reaver
05-24-2002, 12:49 PM
search for "linksys router" or "router" and you'll see that Linksys routers dont broadcast traffic on all ports, you need a hub for that.

-Reaver

HFB
05-24-2002, 12:50 PM
k I tried with a linksys hub and to the router and still had the same problem could not gather traffic.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 01:04 PM
Jesus, how many times do I have to say this to you (Forget all the other people I've said it to).. Linksys hubs are switches, they dont work... Go get a REAL hub... if you search for linksys you will find many other threads which point out ones that work!

--Jeeves

S_B_R
05-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Just search for Linksys and read through a few of the threads... You'll quickly learn the overwhelming majority of Linksys Hubs are actually switches and will not work at all for SEQ(in most situations). Do the search on Linksys and you'll have all the info you could ever want..

HFB
05-24-2002, 01:07 PM
i did and I decided to switch to a whole new HUB, but which kind would work best with my system.

The D-link dsh-5 10/100mbit work good with my 100mbit nic cards?

a hub thats not expensive.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Jeeez.. you really dont want to search, do ya? There are threads which discuss this, most D-Link and Netgear's work.. for specific models, search the boards...

--Jeeves

HFB
05-24-2002, 02:12 PM
K I went out and bought a netgear hub. I FOLLOWED the exact intructions.
plug the netgear into the linksys uplink.
plug the showeq into the netgear hub.
plug the windowseq into the netear hub.

internet DOES not work. now on the Showeq box and windowseq box.

any ideas now. i followed the exact instructions.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 02:39 PM
No, you didnt... you have your network setup incorrectly... the linksys router needs to plug into the netgear hub's uplink, not the other way around (the netgear hub goes UP to the linksys router.. not the other way around).. that would have been both in the msg boards, and in your netgear hub manual :)

--Jeeves

HFB
05-24-2002, 02:42 PM
thats what I ment my linksys router is pluged into my uplink on my netgear hub

and it still dont work.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Well, then something else is wrong with your setup...

Its really quite simple, it should be:

Internet <---> Router <---> Hub <---> Both Machines

Its just that simple...

Did you push the little "uplink" button on your hub?

--Jeeves

HFB
05-24-2002, 02:53 PM
yup thats what I did.

and in network config for redhat all I do is have everything obtain automatically right? thats what its set at now. I got no ip's typed in or anything

except that 127.0.0.1 unde hosts.

Because as soon as I unplug my windowseq machine and showeq machine and put them in the Netgear hub. both of those internet's dont work no more and i get nothing. Dont know why.

HFB
05-24-2002, 03:10 PM
soon as I unplug my windowseq comp from my router and plug it into the netgear router it loses internet right away.

if I stayed with internet it would work, but its not. i dont get it. any ideas?

yyz
05-24-2002, 03:28 PM
and in network config for redhat all I do is have everything obtain automatically right?

Are you trying to get your ip addresses from a dhcp source?
Do you have a xover cable somewhere you should have a straight through, or vice versa?

soon as I unplug my windowseq comp from my router and plug it into the netgear router it loses internet right away.

Exactly how many routers/switches/hubs are you working with here? Helps people to help you if you use correct terms.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 03:41 PM
You dont have your hub hooked up to your router correctly... If you are loosing your connection as soon as you move it, then you probably dont have the router plugged into the right port on your hub, or the uplink button pressed... I highly recommend you read the funny little thing that came with your hub (I beleive the technical term for it is "Manual")... it will tell you how to hook it up correctly...

--Jeeves

HFB
05-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Yes I am trying to get my IP from a DHCP. all my computers are auto DHCP right now.
Yes I have a xover cable sitting at my house I bought yestarday just incase. But dont think I need it.

I have 1 LINKSYS - Instant broadband series, EtherFast Cable / DSL Router with 4 port 10/100 Switch.
I have 1 NETGEAR 4 port 10/100mbs HUB

My Cable modem cable is plugged into my Linksys router in the back were it says WAN.

I have it placed into port 4 on my netgear hub and my button pushed the whole time for uplink.
My cable from Port 4 of my netgear hub is plugged into my linksys router were it says UPLINK PLUG, I put it in there.
And the same problem still happens.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Again, read your manuals... You probably shouldnt have your hub plugged into anything labeled "uplink" on your router... "uplink" means it goes "upwards" in your network... Before you post again.. read the manuals for your router, and hub.. this is not a ShowEQ problem, and shouldnt take up anymore time on a ShowEQ message board... call netgear or linksys if you have additional problems, or seek out a networking message board...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
05-24-2002, 05:58 PM
okay, the "uplink" port is NOTHING special. ALL it means is that the port is wired in such a way that it turns a NORMAL cable into a cross over cable. see what i mean?

so... IF you have a NORMAL cable, ONE end should hook to a port labeled "uplink" and the other should be in a normal port. it does NOT MATTER which uplink port you use (the one on the switch or the one on the hub) just as long as you only use ONE of them. MOST hubs/routers/switches have ONE port that is not a DEDICATED uplink port. it will have a SWITCH that you can switch from "normal" to "uplink". you should set it appropriatly.

IF you are using a cross over cable, BOTH ends should plug into a NORMAL port.

so, lets review: a "uplink" port really turns a normal cable into an xover cable. and just in case you wondered... the diff between a normal cable and a non-normal cable is in the wiring...

normal (both end):
white of orange, orange, white of green, blue, white of blue, green, white of brown, brown

xover (one end normal, one in this way):
white of green, green, white of orange, blue, white of blue, orange, white of brown, brown

i'm pretty sure thats what it is, but i could be wrong. normally i'm actually MAKING one when i try and list the wire order.

in closing: hubs and switches are very very simple devices. if something works in a switch, then you try to use the hub you are merely doing something wrong. there is a 0.000001% chance that it is a hardware failure over user error, so read the manual and play around with how you have your network cables plugged in.

high_jeeves
05-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Hehe fryfrog.. I know that on a hub, an uplink port is just crossed over, I'm trying to make this as simple, and logical for him as possible... On switches and routers, uplink ports are occasionally set as "globally routed" ports.. where all data is passed. This is generally for higher end devices (managed switches/routers, etc), but I am trying to give him the "right" and guaranteed working method...

The bottom line is, if you include 2 differnet devices, 2 different types of ports, and 2 different cables, there are only 8 ways to set up this network... it takes less time to try all 8 ways and find the one that works by random chance, than the amount of time wasted on this thread already...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
05-25-2002, 09:15 AM
true true!