PDA

View Full Version : KDE or ?

troll
05-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Going to test out RedHat 7.3 on a spare box I have. Just wanted opinions on what desktop I should run, KDE, Gnome? KDE seems to be a resource hog, my skill level is just above novice, so just looking for ease of use, just want to see if I can get 7.3 to run with ShowEQ before I put it on my main box.

Anyway, just looking for advice is all.

Mr. Suspicious
05-25-2002, 06:36 PM
http://www.petervandongen.com/images/search.jpg

troll
05-25-2002, 06:47 PM
lol what does asking an opinion have to do with the search function? I know how to install it, simply asked for opinions, jeeze. Maybe I should have posted this in the other forum, I meant this to be a discussion.

I'm sorry to say I think you are all taking this search thing a bit far, every single post made from now on can be responded to that way.

Mr. Suspicious
05-25-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm serious =) 'Tis been discussed before. (and only a few days ago even)

That, and the pic looked like fun to add =P

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1067&highlight=kde+gnome

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1228&highlight=kde+gnome

I personally run ShowEQ in TWM (~So? I'm a minimalist! ~)

troll
05-25-2002, 07:11 PM
I know I read those, I should have just posted this under one of those threads, was looking for something specific for redhat 7.3, I think there was a criticisim for each one, was hoping to get a few more opinions or hope that something has changed in RH 7.3. But I'll just play around with it. Sorry if I'm coming off like an ass, just pushed my buttons today, I know I haven't been around from day one and I don't post a lot, and I can't stand some of the questions that get asked a hundred times, just my opinion that it's been going a bit far lately. But that's just my opinion, anyone nothing person Mr. Suspicious.

Pigeon
05-26-2002, 06:20 AM
bahahaha... that's hillarious.

A picture is worth a thousand words. =)

CBiLL
05-26-2002, 06:24 AM
I am currently running my ShowEQ on a P133 MHZ with only 32 meg of ram under RH7.2 and KDE desktop.

As for the performance .. I only used ShowEQ for about 3 weeks now and it seem to work.. just take damn forever to load X and start ShowEQ but once it's running it seem to be working fine however there are few issues so I am not sure if it because it's a slow box or what ..

Sometime not everything in zone get decoded (lots of grey dots "unknown spawns") or if supposly there are 200 npcs in a certain of zone and only half get decoded while remaining half never shows up on radar not even as unknown spawns.

Take forever to complies ShowEQ.. like 4-5 hours.. don't ask how long it took on QT! lol

I am new to linux and got it running on first try after carefully studying the forum/faq/readme/manuals .. so far I managed to learn more about bashrc to set the QTDIR and create a icon on KDE desktop so I can start ShowEQ just by clicking on a mouse..

I am trying to firgue out how to switch to a plain X and see if the performance is better without KDE .. reason I choosed KDE because somewhere on this forum someone mentioned that the performance seem to be better on KDE and choosing fail-safe at the X login seem to mess it up somehow ..

BTW does anyone know how to stop it loading X login screen at bootup?

CBiLL

Morannon
05-26-2002, 08:03 AM
Change your run level in /etc/inittab

Dedpoet
05-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Just to add my 2cp...

KDE and Gnome are nice if you're going to do more with your machine than just run SEQ. I prefer KDE to Gnome personally, and it has an office suite and lots of other useful apps built in. If all you're going to do is run SEQ, than one of the other managers would probably be better for you.

Grrrr, Sunday already and haven't found time to play with Gentoo yet :(

CBiLL
05-27-2002, 01:38 AM
Thank Morannon .. that did the trick

Also managed to do research and finally switched desktop to a plain X .. decoding perforamce seem to be better on plain X than KDE however Zooming or Panning in SEQ is still slow so I think I prolly will wind up getting more ram for the computer if I can locate some older ram ..

Anyone here know a thing about old petium motherboards? Currently I am not sure which type of ram I have but I have a choice to either use older 72 pin I think or the newer one slot ram .. the 32 ram on it now is a one slot and I tried putting in the 128 meg 133mhz which is currently sold now in store and it didn't work so there must be a older ram using the same slot .. anyone know what type that is? ..

Reason I prolly would want to get more ram is to go back to KDE because I like having 4 different desktop and putting my spawn list and other list on a different desktop then just click on the lower bar to switch desktop around so the map can take the full screen while the plain X is just plain lol ... I wondered if there a rpm I can install to have a 4 desktop feature found on KDE or Gnome for plain X?

CBiLL

Mr. Suspicious
05-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Motherboard question: there's a zillion different motherboards around, look in the manual for what RAM type to use. If you don't have a manual, then look onto the motherboard. There should be a Brandname of it plus a type. Then goto the manufacturers website and download the manual.

About the panel: Run X, I'll assume you use twm as windowsmanager. Just open a xterm and start a panel.

For the Gnome panel in twm:

[]# panel

For the KDE panel:

dunno =P

CBiLL
05-27-2002, 10:04 AM
Thanks Mr. Suspicious, I dunno what brand motherboard it is because it one of those generic "no name" board .. prolly will have to just use the edo ram slot instead if I find a computer store still carry those older ram in backroom collecting webs ..

I went back to KDE because after a few experiments .. I don't really see a difference in performace in SEQ between the TWM and KDE so I firgued since I am gonna be trying to find some rams to upgrade this old computer and it is working just as good in either desktop I might as well stick with the KDE instead of messing around adding on to the TWM.

Pretty much the only performance different I saw between those 2 desktop are load time while the TWM load the SEQ faster but once it's running it pretty much the same .. I do notice some strange decoding in certain of zone like CT but it prolly because I have a low ram box so Ill find out soon enough if I managed to find some more of those older style rams.

CBiLL

Dedpoet
05-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Even if there isn't a brand name on the board, there should be some identifying number on it somewhere. A model number, a part number, anything. Go to www.google.com and put the number in there in "quotes" and you should find some hints as to what it is.