PDA

View Full Version : Netgear FS108 'Hub'

steveb
05-29-2002, 08:48 AM
Here's a unique post for ya...

Instead of ASKING something... gonna PROVIDE some info!

Got SEQ to work last night after a bout a days work. The final problem was the old 'Is it really a router' question. Heres some 'Search Engine Fodder'. The Netgear model FS108 8-Port 'Hub' I'snt a hub at all, but a switch. In fact, if you look veeeeerry carefully at the front of the 'hub', you'll see a little silkscreened 'Switching' logo.

Once I moved the two machines to a good ol' Netgear NS104 HUB, everything started workin' peachy! Great work guys.... lookes like a KICKER of an app

Happy SEQ User :)

Yueh
05-29-2002, 10:17 AM
Straight off the Netgear site, seems you misread something :) (Sorry, couldn't resist ;) ) Thank you. Hopefully you saved another 100 people the same oops.

model FS108
8 Port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch

key features

8 switched 10/100 Mbps ports
Auto-speed and duplex mode sensing
Versatile and compatible
Compact and easy to install
vista jacks with built-in LEDs

steveb
05-29-2002, 11:30 AM
Ok...ill admit..didnt look at the netgear site :) Actually when i got the SWITCH, i really wasnt interested in whether or not it was a switch or a hub, i was just lookin for a 8-port device at a reasonable price. Never had SEQ in mind, and I don't even think I REALLY understood clearly the difference between a hub and a switch back then.

ANYWAY...hopefully someone will type in 'FS108' at some point and this will help em'

S :)

Yueh
05-29-2002, 12:07 PM
The side benefit is, you can now plug however many PC's you have not running SEQ into the switch and uplink to the hub from the switch. Plug the SEQ box into the hub and you get the best of both worlds. Full packet sniffage without losing the full duplex 100BaseT on the majority of the network.

Of course, if your setup looks much like mine, you will be violating fire codes by plugging power strips into power strips into power strips but that is another topic ;)