PDA

View Full Version : Here is a question

rww
05-29-2002, 06:35 PM
Why do all of you people act as if someone offended your mother every time a question is asked.

Have you ever noticed the search feature sucks, not to mention that if the questions were not asked there would be nothing to search for.

GROW UP!!!

Mr. Suspicious
05-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Here's your answer: http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf (dunno why I bother to post this, cause you obviously aint going to read it anyhow)

If I can find the answers to the questions that stupid-people-(tm) have, then why can't they? Oh, wait, they're Stupid-people-(tm).

There's nothing wrong with "being stupid", I am stupid about 75% of the time I am awake. There IS something wrong with being lazy, not wanting to look for the answers yourself and expecting the whole world to jump up, hold your hand and lead you to the answer. If you expect that, then it shows that you are selfish and unwilling to learn.

Now... begone Troll! *points to the nearby Termination Booth*

PS: If you have a REAL problem or question, you'll find those same people you are flaming now to be most cooperative and helpfull as you can see in this thread: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=6407

rww
05-29-2002, 07:07 PM
What is the point of this forum is it is not to ask a question about a problem you are having.

If it annoys you dont respond. 90% of the time the person asking the question ran a search and could not find the answer they were looking for. All your doing by acting offended is showing your toolness.

Mr. Suspicious
05-29-2002, 07:22 PM
You didn't read http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf, did you?

rww
05-29-2002, 07:31 PM
No I didnt read that crap.

Let me guess your about 50 pounds overweight, Have not left your computer since 1990, and never been with a women.

You still didnt answer my question. Why act like a two year old if someone asks a question you perceive as being stupid. Why not just not respond if you dont want to help?

Has acting like a jackass stopped people from asking questions?

Mr. Suspicious
05-29-2002, 07:34 PM
LOL, to much words eh?

S_B_R
05-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by rww
You still didnt answer my question. Why act like a two year old if someone asks a question you perceive as being stupid. Why not just not respond if you dont want to help?

Has acting like a jackass stopped people from asking questions?

Because pointing them to the search function IS helping them...

And yes for the vast majority of people, once they are directed to the search function they seem to find the answers they were looking for. After that they use the search function first and ask questions only when that avenue has been exhausted. Generally when they do ask questions at this point they know alot more about what the question is they are asking. Which is totally opposite of the usual "It doesn't work! How do I fix it?" question.

Please read the information (http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf) Mr. S. linked to... It will really shed some light on why people act the way they do in forums.

rww
05-29-2002, 07:54 PM
cant answer my question?

S_B_R
05-29-2002, 07:59 PM
:rolleyes:

rww
05-29-2002, 08:05 PM
I glanced over the material that you linked. But it is BS, The reason people act the way they do on forums is because they know they are not going to get their ass beat for being a smart ass.

Why respond to a post if you do not intend on trying to help solve the problem without saying do a search.

Some people act as if they are required to write a freaking novel to help solve someones problem. Why act as if you were offended by the question. If you dont want to take the time to try to help, DON'T POST.

S_B_R
05-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Because pointing them to the search function IS helping them...

and I'm sure you need to "Glance" more at that info...

rww
05-29-2002, 08:28 PM
allright you illiterate tool.

S_B_R
05-29-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by rww
allright you illiterate tool.

Alright I give up.. please go away troll...

Zaphod
05-29-2002, 09:08 PM
The problem is that the vast multitude of people who come here don't bother to search before asking a question that has been asked and answered 50+ times before. And then when they don't get an answer they start bumping their thread like a child every day or two. Then they start complaining that nobody answers their question. They seem to believe that the universe owes them something. Here's a newsflash. The universe owes them absolutely nothing! None of us are getting paid to work on this software nor to support it. We do it as a labor of love/joy/fun or what have you. Most of these people you are bashing started out and continue to write helpful answers to new and/or unique questions and/or problems. The true problem is the shear amount of dead weight in the universe who like yourself have contributed nothing but questions and derision. In your other thread (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1156) people sincerely tried to assist you and here you are attacking them all with a broad brush.

The reason many people come in here and ask questions without doing the most rudimentary research (reading documentation, doing a search, etc...) is they think they won't get "their ass beat for being a" lazy moronic ass. I'm sure many of these same people in here would actually give you the same RTFM or search answer to your face. Why? Because people like yourself so desperately deserve it. You do nothing but suck energy from the universe and create nothing but hostility with your laziness and personal attacks.

And by the way, yes, beating people over the head with RTFM and/or search has actually reformed numerous people so that they do the basic research and stop asking duplicate questions. Heck, some of those people end up turning around and answering other peoples questions. And after a while they tire of the repeat questions and frequently end up saying RTFM and search. And the cycle continues...

Enjoy or not,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

fryfrog
05-29-2002, 10:10 PM
i agree with zaphod. i've been reading and posting to the seq forums for quite a while now and you can watch the cycles fairly well. someone new joins in, kindof bitches about the way the "old" people treat everyone. they learn their shit and start helping people... low and behold, a few months of actually answering the same question over and over and over and over again starts to wear on them and their answers get shorter and shorter and more insulting.

every one of us who reads and helps WILL try to help when a person shows the barest of attempts at solving the problem themselves or at the very least presenting us with some useable information in their post... but unfortunatly this does not happen very often.

you say "90% of the time the person asking the question ran a search and could not find the answer they were looking for." but unfortunatly this just isn't true. i would put that number somewhere between 5-10%. usually, the person who responds in a berating manner to their post just did a search using key words gleened from the posters post and can produce a plethora of results pertaining to the thread.

the bottom line is that there are a LOT of lazy people. even if they DO manage to use the search feature, they don't want to take the 10-30min it might take to actually read through 3 or 4 threads in their entirerity.

so, if you don't like the way some of us help people or respond to people there is actually absolutly nothing stopping you from going to every new post and actually helping the person. do the search for them, find the relevent piece of information that they could not. they will appreciate it and we will have one less person to have to help.

and please don't make fun of my spelling, i know it sucks.

rww
05-30-2002, 05:51 AM
Fryfrog I apreciate you trying to help. But I got SEQ working several days ago. I didn't start this thread for anything that happened to me.

Just reading thru the board and found everyother post has some idiot telling the poster to use the freaking search. And no telling them to use the search does not help them, most know of a search. So chances are they already used the search, or they know about it and do not make this nor there computer their life and do not want to spend hours searching thru posts that half the people say use the post.

Zaphod, I dont know if you want me to feel sorry for you or what, there is probly a reason why you are not getting paid to program.
And I dont know you, and you might just whip my ass. But I can assure you that if you acted that way to my face we would have some problems.

My main point is 99 out of 100 peaple that come to this board know how to use a search, so why respond if you are not going to offer advice.

Mr. Suspicious
05-30-2002, 06:22 AM
My main point is 99 out of 100 peaple that come to this board know how to use a search
They don't, because else, if I can find the answer to their question using the search feature, why can't they? Simple, they didn't use search.

so why respond if you are not going to offer advice.
Since when is pointing people to the place to find the answer to their question "no advice"?

RWW: How does an automatic transmission work?
Mr. S: Gosh,*checks the encyclopedia and finds the answer, several pages of info in a few minutes* I found it, but know what? Here, take this Encyclopedia and look it up yourself *hands over encyclopedia*
RWW: I don't read that piece of crap, answer my question!
Mr. S: You'll learn more about it if you read the Encyclopedia.
RWW: Why are you such an asshole, tell me the answer
Mr. S: The answer is right there dude, read it!
RWW: You're a fooking moron, child, 2 yrs old, never gotten laid, 50lbs overweight, didn't see daylight since 1990 blahblahblah <insert more insults here>
Mr. S: Whatever *puts away the encyclopedia and leaves the room*

You rather have people typeout the whole 50 page lenght thing a 1000 times then to help people help themselves?

Want to see the idiocracy? Head over to the EQW board: http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=12 and see the 50 posts recently posted by people all named "HELP MY EQW DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE" (like, *duh* we didn't know already, realy, one post is enough), spot the one message between them that holds the answer to their question but that no-one sees, because it's unfindable between the 50 fooking idiot-posts. (and pops up as top answer by using the search)

Oh and,

But I can assure you that if you acted that way to my face we would have some problems.
If you acted like the way you approach people here in my face, you'd be looking for another job in notime. If someone would act in my face like the people you flame here do, I'd only think "Oh my, he's right, that was a stupid question, what was I thinking"

Dedpoet
05-30-2002, 06:35 AM
I just had to chime in here. I spent about 42 seconds on the front page of this very forum and found these 3 threads, wherein the same people who responded to this thread were very helpful:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=7318#post7318

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=7319#post7319

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=7289#post7289

Note that the first one is yours. I know that was brought up already, but you don't seem to care...not that you'll so much as glance at those anyway. In fact, I'm not even sure how those repsonses were written with all the "illiterate tools" here that you mentioned.

It boggles my mind that you have managed to insult so many of the regulars on this board in a single thread, including the lead developer for the project. I hope rww is a second account on this board because you will never get help again from anyone who has read this post. Put that in the search box and smoke it.

Let me guess your about 50 pounds overweight, Have not left your computer since 1990, and never been with a women.

Let -me- guess. You're a tall, lanky club kid with a forward combed spikey harcut. You're wearing baggy jeans and work at the local Officemax.

[Edit - messed up my php tags. I'm an illiterate tool too.]

high_jeeves
05-30-2002, 08:13 AM
I've avoided this thread for a while now, mostly because these "Holier than Thou" threads bore me. I agree with everthing said by Zaphod, Fryfrog, Deadpoet, Mr. S, and S_B_R here, so I wont bother repeating it... But a few of my own points:

Zaphod, I dont know if you want me to feel sorry for you or what, there is probly a reason why you are not getting paid to program.

So, who is the illerate tool here? Zaphod means he doesnt get paid to program ShowEQ... I'm sure he has a job, where he gets paid in real life... Contrary to the general opinion of all the teenagers around here, those who write the software, and those who help out on the message boards dont get paid... this is software is provided to the community free...

My main point is 99 out of 100 peaple that come to this board know how to use a search, so why respond if you are not going to offer advice.

This is just blatantly false... most of the people who post questions, dont search.. once they are told to search, they find there answer.. many of those people even respond at that point saying "thanks, i found my answer" or "i found these threads but I'm not sure which applies" or "sorry, i forgot to search"... I would say fewer than 1 in 10 people gets pissed about being told to RTFM/STFW.. and the 9 people who do go RTFM/STFW get there problem solved in 1/10th of the time as those who bitch about it..

I'm probably the most active, or atleast one the most active members of this board... and I probably tell people to search more than just about anyone, so I thought it might be fun to answer these points:

1) Actually I am about 10 pounds underweight... I go to the gym 3-5 hours per week... my BFI is less than 11.5%...

2) I have many hobbies that dont involve my computer, and many that do.. for those that spend 18hrs a day in front of there computer, there is nothing wrong with that.. you show yourself to be in highschool by your "nerd/jock" view of the world... once you get out of school into the real world, you will either realize that view doesnt work, or you'll wear a wife-beater and live in a trailer..

3) I have been living with somebody for 3 years now, and am recently engaged to be married, I spend every day of my life with a woman...

So, as you can see, your childish, immature view of the world, just isnt accurate..

But I can assure you that if you acted that way to my face we would have some problems.

Before you get out into the real world, you are gonna either learn to drop this attitude, or you wont be able to keep a job for more than 6 months... There is conflict in the real world.. nobody owes you anything in the real world.. if you cant handle those things except by "having problems", you wont last long...

As I have posted many times before to people on this board who feel they are owed an answer by the people who donate their time to this project, we are here to help you find answers, not to answer your questions... if you are incapable of finding answers in the first place, you will have trouble here... We ARE NOT TECH SUPPORT, we are helpful people who try to make sure people can run ShowEQ.

In closing: Put up, or shut up... Here is my challenge to you, if you can do it better, then you start checking these boards regularly and you start answering all of the questions posed by people... When you have answered 300 or so questions, then you can come and complain about how the rest of us do it... until then, you are just a whiny child with an attitute problem, and you should go away.

--Jeeves

Zaphod
05-30-2002, 08:36 AM
I said "None of us are getting paid to work on this software nor to support it." Note the emboldened word, it is key to the statement. Neither you nor anyone else here has paid us for support nor to license this piece of software. Instead of a well reasoned argument you resort to puerile and slanderous statements.

The problem is you are basing the foundation of your argument on the incorrect assumption that people use the search feature first. In almost every case where the people in these forums tell people to search or read a document their question has already been addressed, frequently within a few posts of their own. This is readily verifiable. It is also not uncommon for the people who say to use search to give a link to the correct query. Your statement about "99 out of 100 peaple that come to this board know how to use a search" has long been established as false, and many of those who do come here knowing how to search are too lazy to do so. In those posts that you read where people told others to do a search their answer typically would have been found by a search. Did you even bother to check if there questions would have been answered by the search? From your statements I'm led to believe that you didn't or you chose to ignore that fact. Since you find yourself unable to come up with a reasonable argument you resort to juvenile behavior that is as unacceptable in this medium as it is in the real world.

If you acted like the way you act here or like the people who don't bother to read or search at any company I was working for you'd already be either written up or fired. In fact I have gotten people behaving such as yourself and those who didn't bother doing rudimentary research fired for being anti-social layabouts. If you resorted to violence with me in real life you'd quickly find yourself in the hospital and then jail. Violence in response to an unwelcome answer to a question is the act of a weak mind.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

rww
05-30-2002, 09:08 AM
If you resorted to violence with me in real life you'd quickly find yourself in the hospital and then jail

Im willing to find out if i will be in the hospital or jail if you are.

high_jeeves
05-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Im willing to find out if i will be in the hospital or jail if you are.

I think thats enough said.. nothing to see here folks... just a kid with an attitute problem who still thinks beating people up is the way to solve problems... lets lock this thread, kick this guy, and move on with our lives...

--Jeeves