PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation Needed Please

Aelorean
05-30-2002, 11:48 PM
Before I go out and by a "real" hub as opposed to my Linksys piece of crap, I wanted to make sure that this setup would work with ShowEQ:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------- INTERNET ----------------------------------
---------------------------------- | ----------------------------------------
-------------------------------- HUB --------------------------------------
------------------------------- / ---- \ -------------------------------------
------------------------------ / ------ \ ------------------------------------
------------------------- WinXP ---- Linux ------------------------------
-------------------------- IP#1 ------ IP#2 -----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The important thing in my question here is that will ShowEQ work if both the Linux and the WinXP computer have DIFFERENT, static IP addresses assigned by DHCP (ie, I'm not using a router right now).

---
Thanks so much. I did search for answers and read hundreds of postings trying to find this answer. I only need a quick answer to this question, so please do not flame. Thanks!
---

Cryonic
05-31-2002, 12:16 AM
yes

darkangelx
05-31-2002, 02:55 AM
ok theory01

I do not think you will be assigned 2 ips from your ISP. an_idea01:

Internet
|
dialup modem
|
Linux box
Dhcp IP from ISP
assign 192.0.0.1
|
hub
|
========
|
Windoz
assign ip as 192.0.0.2
set gateway to 192.0.01
(untested i dont use dialup but in theory should work)

play EQ... I did close to the same but i have a static IP, block and DSL, I set the gateway on my windows box as the IP of the nic and it works great (im using a NETGEAR SWITCH NOT a HUB)

Mine looks like this:

Internet
|
DSL modem
|
Eth0 from Linux box
|
Linux box
|
Eth1 from Linux box
|
Netgear Switch
|
==================
| |
windoz box 1 windoz box2

Yes i have 2 nics in my linux box but have "ghetto" routed before using 2 ips on one nic, but caused collisions and thus i got a switch instead of a hub, then another nic later (which was dumb but oh well i didnt know /shrug)

You have to force the packets through the linux box somehow that is all that really matters. Again the dialup part has *NOT* been tested but I believe the information to be true to the best of my knowledge.

********important note*************

different ips are IRRELEVENT(since you cant have the same ips ANYWAY) however the same SUBNET ****IS**** required even if it is the 2nd ip on the linux box. That is simply how networking works.

I suggest you use the following subnect mask 255.255.255.0 for both windows box and Eth0 on your linux box for best results.(assuming you use the ips i used above in the dialup diagram) and yes you can as those are unroutable ips, or start it with 10.0.0.1 that is also an unrouted IP block.

Your ISP will assign you an IP and subnet from thier network in order for you to connect, you will have to do the 2nd ip and subnet for the linux box and for the windoz machine.

However you have to make the connection on your network. If you were to use 2 ips from 2 ISPs and expect your linux box to just read the packets you are mistaken.

CBiLL
05-31-2002, 06:11 AM
If you been using linksys "router" to network more than one computer to the internet .. all you will need is a true hub and place it between the linksys and your computers ..

You'll just connect the EQ and SHOWEQ computers into the hub and then connect the hub into linksys.

That would be the easiest way to go .. just get a hub

CBiLL

Aelorean
05-31-2002, 10:11 AM
For clarification, I havn't been using a router. I pay for two IP addresses from my ISP and they are assigned by the DHCP server.

This was my whole question. If I replace this linksys "hub" with a TRUE "hub", with the same set-up (ie, the two computers obtaining their own IP addresses via the dhcp server), will ShowEQ start working?

[I us a cable modem setup, btw]

Mr. Suspicious
05-31-2002, 10:32 AM
As Cryonic already said: Yes

anon2
05-31-2002, 01:29 PM
But you can just get a router, and quit paying your ISP for a second IP address ;)

Mr Guy
05-31-2002, 01:49 PM
Alternatively, you can just use your linux box as a router, and not worry about the whole thing, even if the hub is actually a switch.