PDA

View Full Version : Soooooo Slow since last cvs update

MarkJames
06-01-2002, 03:10 AM
ok i did a CLEAn install of Rh 7.2 followed the install guide for seq as i have done many times before eveything is fine untill i run seq then the whole machine runs like treacle, i have a p3 1 gig and 512 meg ram it has never been slow before this update. Can anyone help, the seq window shows me and sometimes will update my position on the map NO spawns get decoded or even shown and sometimes it just sits there saying BUSY ZONEING.

Please help if you can

Mark

Dedpoet
06-01-2002, 08:03 AM
While SEQ is running, open another terminal window and run 'top'. What are the first few processes at the top of the list, and how much CPU time are they using?

What do you mean by slow? The spawns are not moving smoothly (turn on 'animate spawn' setting) or the response is slow (X is probably using a large percentage of your processor)? There are many threads on this forum on both of these topics if you look around on the front page a little. If not, post some info from the top command and we'll see what we can find.

MarkJames
06-02-2002, 12:45 PM
ok i run at 1600,1200 with a bitmap backgound image, i thought it may be that so i took of the bmp and it was signifacantly better it now decodes and i see my movement on the ap , it is still slow on responce so i will drop the resolution down to 1200 and see if that is ok, thank you for your help.

Mark

Dedpoet
06-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Some other options are to try making the main window slightly smaller instead of maximized (I do this so I can see the last few lines in the terminal window), try a lighter weight window manager, or toggle View -> Map off and then back on.

I have this same problem on my P3 1.13GHz laptop with 256 meg of RAM. Toggling the map view off and back on almost always fixes the problem until I zone, and then I have to do it again. I don't think it's a display problem, as I have a Mobile Radeon 7500 with 64 meg of RAM. I know a lot of others on this board are having the same problem, and are all dealing with it as best they can. I have confidence that this bug will be found eventually, but until then, try one of the above.

Try searching on the word 'performace' to read up on this issue.

MarkJames
06-03-2002, 01:23 PM
it was screen resolution, dropped it down to 1200 and all is perfect....strange

Mark