PDA

View Full Version : Compiled qt-2.3.2 download for joo

UncleBen
06-01-2002, 12:55 PM
I decided to tarball up my compiled qt-2.3.2 in case anyone wanted to try it instead of waiting countless ours to do it themselves.

It's compiled with gcc-3.0.4 and g++-3.0.4 on my Mandrake 8.2. So i'd guess you need to meet them requirements for it to work right

just put tarball in your /usr/lib folder and tar -xvzf qt-2.3.2.tar.gz and your have it ready to follow this guide

http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=275

remember, I used gcc and g++ (3.0.4) on Mandrake 8.2 to compile it so no bitching if you don't meet them requirements and it don't work for you :)

here my tarball:

ftp://gta:[email protected]:667/qt-2.3.2.tar.gz

Obadiah
06-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Greetings,

Thnx for the pre-compiled qt's for Drake 8.2

This will work freat since i have the same 3.0.4 ..!

One prob though when trying to extract the tar in the /usr/lib dir

tar -xvcf qt-2.3.2.tar.gz

This command is an error. I dont know if i should just use the tar -x flag ... a little guidance would be appreciated, thnx

Mr. Suspicious
06-02-2002, 07:28 PM
Try "tar --help"

Obadiah
06-02-2002, 07:39 PM
Greetings...!

Since I am not all too familiar with linux flags and commands the tar --help was the first thing I did.

I can simply extract the file but the author put those specific flags in there for a reson... just with an error in syntax.

I am trying to find out if someon can easily recognize his error.. I dont see the harm in just extracting the archive, BUT I dont want to compile it if I did not set an extract flag properly.

Assumption is the bane of knowledge...! or so I assume :)

Mr. Suspicious
06-02-2002, 07:56 PM
Well, uhm, you didn't specify the error it gave you, so beside pointing you to the (altho obvious) tar --help command, I can only speculate.

Looking at the -xvcf part:

- x extract *self explanory
- v verbose *shrug*depends if you want to see the files while being unpacked or not.
- c create *er... create the tar and extract it at the same time eh?*
- f archive

so -xvf should work nicely, no idea why he put that "c" in there.

On a side note, I'd recommend not to install pre-compiled stuff. You never know what's in it and might run into other troubles along the road. Not saying that UncleBen is doing sneaky stuffz, it just always pays to be on the safe side. I personally think it's always best to get the source from the "source" and compile it myself.

Obadiah
06-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Greetings once again...

an error in syntax is just that....

I will be more specific but it will not help other than what I have given...

tar -xvcf qt-2.3.2.tar.gz

results in this error (syntax) message:

tar: You may not specify more than one '-Acdtrux' Option

I can read the tar --help flags and dechiper what they mean. Anyone can clearly figure out how to extract the file... but i am not asking how to EXTRACT the file...

I am asking if the Author of this thread who kindly put his time saving compilation up for us to grab made an *error* in his syntax when explaining how to extract it in the /dir ...?

Since the command tar -xvcf doesnt work..!

The help doesnt explian if you can string commands with a comma (wich i tried)..

I will try the -xvf as you suggested... thnx in advance.

BLAH.. it didnt work

Error: This file does not look like a tar file.

Mr. Suspicious
06-02-2002, 08:27 PM
well.. that error message is a dead giveaway =P and if you can er.. understand the syntax then you should have known that.

-x and -c are two commands that do direct opposate things: -x extracts the tar, -c creates it. You cannot create AND extract things at the same time.

the errormessage you now provided tells you so:

tar: You may not specify more than one '-Acdtrux' Option
so A and c and d and t and r and u and x cannot be used at the same time.

Error: This file does not look like a tar file.
Doesn't look like a tar now? Can always try plain -x. Or the file might as well be corrupt *shrug* realy, compiling it yourself (with all the troubles you might encounter) will teach you much more about linux then installing a tarred pre-compile. :D

Obadiah
06-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Greets...

Aye... the -xvcf was contridictory flags.. just wasnt sure wich ones to use.

I tried the -x flag I get no error, just an empty cursor (10 min now)

I am starting to think that perhaps the file I downloaded was not archived properly or has an error

I guess i will have to try and compile the qt-2.3.2 for Drake 8.2 myself. Less someone wishes to DL UncleBens's work and see if i am to blame... or something is wrong with the file. (download took approx 10 min for me)

Dedpoet
06-02-2002, 08:45 PM
That's because if you don't specify the 'f' flag, it's expecting the tar file to come from the standard input (i.e. the terminal). Did you unzip the file first? A 'gz' extension means it was compressed with gzip, and that will explain why it's not a tar file yet. Try this:

gunzip qt-2.3.2.tar.gz
tar -xvf qt-2.3.2.tar

The first command will uncompress the file and leave you with 'qt-2.3.2.tar'. The second will open the tar archive - the 'x' is extract, the 'v' means verbose so you'll see the entire process, and the 'f' means the next argument of the command will be the file to perform the operation on.

[Edit: Typo]

Obadiah
06-02-2002, 09:06 PM
LOL ....

It must be late.. thnx that was it. Been partying ever since the DEMF in detroit and the Red Wing game... sleep is good. How i missed unzipping it is beyound me... thanx again.

... still laughing

Obadiah
06-02-2002, 09:16 PM
ok thnx all... got this far, but too tired. Will chomp at in in the marrow

cvs: option requires an argument -- d
Usage: cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options-and-arguments]
where cvs-options are -q, -n, etc.
(specify --help-options for a list of options)
where command is add, admin, etc.
(specify --help-commands for a list of commands
or --help-synonyms for a list of command synonyms)
where command-options-and-arguments depend on the specific command
(specify -H followed by a command name for command-specific help)
Specify --help to receive this message

The Concurrent Versions System (CVS) is a tool for version control.
For CVS updates and additional information, see
the CVS home page at http://www.cvshome.org/ or
Pascal Molli's CVS site at http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs-index.html
bash: Logging: command not found

[root@localhost lib]#

high_jeeves
06-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Just follow the freaking instructions.. they are posted:

here:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=10131

and here:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273

--Jeeves

UncleBen
06-03-2002, 12:14 AM
dammit, I"m real sorry about that. It was a typo on my end :)

you need to use tar -xvzf somehow i typed a 'c' instead of the 'z' there.

My apologies

ps, gonna edit original post and make correction, but yeah, I made a typo :)

TweedleDee
06-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Obadiah
cvs: option requires an argument -- d

Did you put a space between the - and the d? Command should look as follows:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

space after cvs then no spaces until after seq

unknown_errors
06-18-2002, 06:58 AM
i can only seem to unzip this file once, after that i have to redownload it... so i need for info about where to pick up in the guild ( what step does this leave me at?) after follow all instustions on this page do i then start with step 3 getting latest cvs version of show eq, or do i still need to run make for qt-2.3.2
thanks

Mr. Suspicious
06-18-2002, 08:48 AM
Just... save yourself the headache and follow the instructions to the T (meaning: compile it yourself) It might take a few hours longer (or minutes if you have a fast system) but that way you'll won't be bumping into other troubles.

UncleBen
06-18-2002, 08:59 AM
I suppose I'll just shut down my link. Seems it's just generating more stupid questions than normal. not to mention the lag I get when someone's downloading while I"m playing EQ :)

I have seen it downloaded quite a bit but not one person said it was usefull, so I'll assume it's not :p