PDA

View Full Version : Running SEQ!

Bakayalo
06-01-2002, 03:05 PM
I have installed SEQ without an error and computers are networked correctly. My question is anything else that I need to configure before I start running SEQ? Is there a link on instruction for SEQ?

Mr. Suspicious
06-01-2002, 05:33 PM
No, it's pretty self explanatory after you started the program.

- StartX
- Start ShowEQ
- Loginto your account on the windows Box
- Enjoy

Bakayalo
06-02-2002, 01:22 AM
When I started the program (./showeq -i eth0 192.168.0.1) nothing was detected (no map, no npc, no nothing) The following are the output that I received from terminal:

Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml!
Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".
Listening for client: 192.168.0.1
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 192.168.0.1
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'
Loading Filter File: /usr/local/share/showeq/filters_unknown.conf
Categories Reloaded
Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0

Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks in advance!

CBiLL
06-02-2002, 05:41 AM
are you running it in root?

CBiLL

Mr. Suspicious
06-02-2002, 07:20 AM
Edit:

When I started the program (./showeq -i eth0 192.168.0.1) nothing was detected (no map, no npc, no nothing)

Yes this is normal Since you started ShowEQ before you started you Everquest session on your Window$ PC. So when you start there is indeed NO traffic to be sniffed, "yet". Catching the EQ packets from the client happens as soon as you loginto Everquest (but you have to start ShowEQ BEFORE starting Everquest).

So: you didn't post any error messages, you didn't tell us your setup and you didn't tell us what you already tried.

Guesssing from the ammount of information you provide *hint: none* I'd say your hub isn't a real hub.

With that ammount of usefull information you provide, we can serve you with 100 possible things that can cause this, all of them probably won't solve your problem and if we contin ue that, then we're still speculating in December 2007.

Edit II: CBiLL, he is running as root, if you try to run ShowEQ while not being root, you get the following message in the xterm:

pcap_error: pcap_open_live(eth0): socket: blahblahblah
Make sure you are running ShowEQ as root.

:D

Nodak
06-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Are you using a Linksys 4 port cable modem router?

I did an install for my friend and found out that Showeq will not monitor another PC if they are using the Linksys router with the hub built in.

There might be a setting for this but being lazy, I just put his PCs on a regular hub and uplinked it to the router.

Bakayalo
06-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Yes, I'm pretty sure its a hub and not a switch. (D-Link
DE-805TP/C: http://www.dlink.com/products/hubs/de805/)

My network configuration:
Basicly my EQ box is acting as a server and Linux box as a client
2 NICs in EQ box(1 to cable modem and 1 to hub) and 1 NIC in Linux Box (connect to hub).
internet-->cable modem-->EQ box (win2k NIC01) and EQ box (NIC02)-->hub-->Linux box

I've tried tcpdump command but looked like its not sniffing any packets from EQ box.

After I started SEQ and then Everquest still nothing showed up. I'm thinking it must be something to do with my network setup.

high_jeeves
06-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Sigh... how many times do I have to answer this?!?

Draw a line from your EQ box to the internet... that is what the packets are doing... do they go through, or get broadcasted to your linux box? No! Then how the hell would ShowEQ see them?

Apply a bit of logic (or search), and the problem becomes quite simple...

--Jeeves

Bakayalo
06-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Cool, everything works now thanks :)

AlexJ213
06-02-2002, 06:35 PM
I am new to networking
I can run showeq load maps and all that jazz but its not gettign the zone data

I have the setup like this

ADSL modem > HUB > (EQ comp and Linux box connected to the hub)

So this setup is wrong then? What do I have to change because I can run showeq and load maps and all that but no information is coming up.

How would I set up my linux box to sniff the packets?

And yes I have searched and I am still searching all the posts even now.

This is the hub I am using

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=148&grid=24

Its says its a hub... are they lying?

HAHA motherfucker searched an found that my model of hub works as a fucking switch those linksys lying bastards.

Anyone know a really cheap hub that works for sure?

Dedpoet
06-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Try searching for the word switch and see what you learn.

Then try a Netgear EN104 or a D-Link DSH-5. Those are both extremely common and work (I have used both).