PDA

View Full Version : UDPEcho pre install question

Smoker
06-03-2002, 04:46 AM
At this time I have a DSL connection, router, hub set-up. Works fine and I have been using SEQ for some months now, great work thanks for the program.

Soon, I may lose my DSL for a short time and have to go back to Dialup. So I started to look over this board for other ways of making SEQ work.

UDPEcho

Having read all I can on this program, I have some questions.

Does Internet sharing need to be set-up on the Win ME machine for the Linux box, I am not interested in using the Linux box for looking on the net, just to monitor EQ. I ask this because one of the previous posts on the program, it was mentioned that ICS was set-up and DHCP was used for the Linux box.

From what I understand, you connect to your ISP with your dialup modem after installing UDPEcho (you can use this ME machine for normal net browsing ?, after installing UDPEcho). Then connect to EQ like normal. Only the EQ packets are then "echoed" to your NIC which is connected to your hub (also the linux connected to the same hub). SEQ is set to monitor IP address 192.168.255.128 (this is the IP address given in the readme). So SEQ is doing a search for any packets with that IP address broadcasted over the hub.

Which makes me think, ICS isent really needed, any IP address could be given to the Linux box (192.168.168.10 or something). All seq/linux needs to do is monitor traffic.

Is this correct ?

TweedleDee
06-04-2002, 11:12 AM
The purpose of running an Internet Gateway system is to have all of the network traffic brodcasted over the hub - including all of the EQ traffic so the linux box can "sniff" the packets. While I haven't used UDPEcho, your theory seems sound. If it truly can take all dial-up udp traffic and spam it to your nic, then showeq should work fine with just the two systems - no ICS box needed.

high_jeeves
06-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Actually, TweedleDee.. running ICS in this manner will quite specifically NOT broadcast traffic... ICS uses 2 network cards to partition the network, and does not broadcast unneeded data across the network (it is basically a router at this point)...

However, I will agree that if you are using dialup, you dont need ICS, just use UDPEcho..

--Jeeves

griegsend
06-05-2002, 08:17 AM
Do you have a link where to download UDPEcho for Windows? I did a Web search on this but didn't come up with anything that seemed appropriate. Most were UDPEcho sample programs from various courses. They seemed to echo packets received on one UDP port. Does this mean you need to run an instance for each port that EQ uses? Is there any list or documentation of what ports EQ uses? Does running a UDP listener interfere with EQ running on the same box (since they'll assumedly need to bind to the same port)? A pointer to UDPEcho information would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Suspicious
06-05-2002, 08:27 AM
The Search feature (no, it's NOT a bug) is your friend!

Type in UDPecho, click on the first topicname with the name udpecho and see: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=539&highlight=UDPecho

winseq
06-09-2002, 12:44 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. If you really need to reach me, you're better off emailing [email protected]

Anyway...

No, ISC is not needed. The IP address of your linux doesn't matter. Just so long as you didn't pick one of the two IPs used by udpecho.

The only install needing to be done is for WinPcap. I'm pretty sure you'll need to reboot after installing it.

Fire up your internet connection. Run udpecho without arguments to determine what your dial-up and NICs are indexed as. (You probably only need to do this the first time or when you change your NICs.) Run udpecho with the appropriate arguments. Fire up SEQ, making sure it's pointed to the correct IP as mentioned in the udpecho docs. (I don't remember what it is offhand.) Then fire up EQ.

Really, I don't think udpecho can mess up your computer so feel free to experiment.