PDA

View Full Version : Networking Hardware

Ozzfest
06-04-2002, 02:33 PM
I am gonna try to run SEQ. I have ran a *nix OS before so that is not the hard part. But I am clueless when it comes to the networking of 2 computers.

Right now I have my Win2k Box on my ADSL. Then have an old comp I am gonna throw up Rh on.

What all do I need to buy to setup my network?

New Network Card for *nix machine.
New Ethernet Cable for *nix machine.

Then I need a Hub(Make Sure Hub not Switch) and Router?

Thanks

Cryonic
06-04-2002, 03:57 PM
It all depends on the ADSL connection. What kind of modem was provided to you by your ISP?

If external and not USB based (Cisco 675/678) then you might be able to just hook it straight to the hub, but sounds like that isn't your setup.

If internal or USB based, then have fun. The modem is a Windows only device, so windows will have to be your gateway to the Net. Go find udpecho.

Ozzfest
06-08-2002, 11:21 AM
It is an External DSL Modem and NOT USB.

I just want to know a good Router/Hub Combo to buy because..

A) I know zero about networking hardware

So its easier if someone says this brand / model works so go buy it =)

Dedpoet
06-09-2002, 10:55 AM
Try searching on the word "Netgear".

high_jeeves
06-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Router/Hub Combo

You will need 2 devices here.. there are no single device router hub combos, they are router/switches...

--Jeeves

Ozzfest
06-11-2002, 04:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2030960902

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2030653685

Should be all I need correct?

Well besides the cables and another nic.

high_jeeves
06-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Should be it... I run these same 2 devices..

--Jeeves

foxsietch
06-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Aight, i've been thinking about this quite a bit and i think i might have an idea about how to use SEQ with a network setup with just a linksys router (or another router with port forwarding). Now i'm sure that we know which ports the EQ Client uses (although i dont) what would happen if we told the router to forward all information from those ports to the Linux box running SEQ, then, tell the linux box to forward the same information back to the EQ Client using IP Masquerading. This seems like it should work, but i'm no expert so i'm not sure. Let me know what you guys think.

high_jeeves
06-11-2002, 09:28 PM
EQ can talk on too many ports for this to work, unless you have a high-end router that supports ranged port forwarding. (Most only allow single port forward per entry with 8-15 entries)....

It is possible to use a single router to run ShowEQ, but the method is semi-complicated, and the introduced lag is potentially high (as is the potential packet loss)...

--Jeeves

foxsietch
06-11-2002, 09:37 PM
as a matter of fact, the linksys router i have does have a ranged port input, although i do acknowledge the significant issues with packet loss and such. However, while i'm waiting for my new hub its worth giving it a try. Do you know what ports EQ uses?

high_jeeves
06-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Correct me someone, if I am wrong, but I think it needs 1024-9000... I think that the new chat channels are on a port in the 8xxx's, so this range should cover those too, but I wont swear to that.

--Jeeves