PDA

View Full Version : IPCop vs. SmoothWall

Yueh
06-05-2002, 03:05 PM
I haven't been able to find an unbiased explanation of the difference between these two. As far as I can tell they are identical. What am I missing? Is one a generic rip off of the other? Which is recommended? Hoping the hard cores around here have an opinion based on something useful :)

Right now I'm running smoothwall and love it but software envy is what drives the opensource world right :D

S_B_R
06-05-2002, 04:03 PM
I think Zaphod or Ratt recommended IPCop over Smoothwall. I'd suggest (if you haven't already) search for both on http://groups.google.com

-EDIT-

Did some searching found this thread (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&frame=right&th=baf7a5bfb6166819&seekm=l6jq1a.g19.ln%40kevin.homenet.org#link1) on google groups.

Yueh
06-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Figures, I swear you guys use a different Google than me :p

Thanks. Looks like I'll start that .iso download right now :)

Ratt
06-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Functionally, Smoothwall and IPCop are basically identical. However, Smoothwall is bad for two reasons:

1. The developer(s) are bigger assholes than me... by a long, long shot. I use myself as a baseline... if I think someone is an asshole, they must be really bad.

2. Part of Smoothwall is closed source. IPCop is totally open source. This in and of itself is not inheirently bad... if he can make money off of it, great... however, I support the Open source alternative :)

high_jeeves
06-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Damn! A bigger asshole than you? :D Just kidding!

Sorry... just couldnt resist the urge...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
06-05-2002, 11:37 PM
no shit? i got the feeling the dude was an asshole from what people said about him... but bigger than ratt? that is just hard to imagine :)

Yueh
06-06-2002, 07:55 AM
FWIW, I blew away the smoothwall and installed IPCop last night in about 30 min. Technical and philisophical issues aside, it does have a few features that smoothwall does not. But of course, from a philisophical perspective you can't argue :)