PDA

View Full Version : Q

IgorQ
06-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Question for the Devs.

Running Darwin(Gnome GUI) on a G4 Powerbook in FullScreen mode. got QT 2.3.1 to compile via the Fink open source on sourceforge along with the Gnome GUI and a buncha other Libs.. Missing GCC3 though. Any Developers tried to get SEQ running on this flavor yet? I believe a few of the libs haven't been ported yet. If they did all get ported over eventually would SEQ compile? This isnt being posted to help because Maybe this is a dev question. And yep I did a search first... la

IgorQ

being able to hot key switch between OSX and Gnome GUIs is amazing for developing apps... Apples got a hot os here. took Nextstep long enough to get a decent platform though...

Dedpoet
06-06-2002, 08:36 PM
I think the problem you will run into is that libEQ.a is only compiled for x86 and I think I saw a sparc directory on the server. This thread is from January, but you get the idea:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=318

If you had all the libraries, seq would likely compile, but without libEQ.a, you won't see much.

Cryonic
06-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Also there may be endianess issues with the difference between PPC and Intel architectures.

IgorQ
06-07-2002, 07:11 AM
Forgot about LibEQ.a...
Im not gonna ask for a PPC compile of it. As close as the Aqua GUI is linked to the underlying Darwin Unix it wouldn'be too much work to get SEQOSX up and running. Wouldnt be as bad as SEQWIN but....

IgorQ

S_B_R
06-07-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by IgorQ
Forgot about LibEQ.a...
Im not gonna ask for a PPC compile of it. As close as the Aqua GUI is linked to the underlying Darwin Unix it wouldn'be too much work to get SEQOSX up and running. Wouldnt be as bad as SEQWIN but....

IgorQ Actually it would probably be worse since the architecture differences would not be trivial.

IgorQ
06-08-2002, 09:16 AM
When I said "It wouldn't be as bad as SEQWIN" i was refering to the hordes of people that it would open the software up to.

A PPC compiled LibEQ.a along with a few of the other required libraries would allow me to work on compiling SEQ on my OSX TIPB.

Not many people have OSX and are running a working X11 on Darwin Unix running the Gnome GUI.

IgorQ

S_B_R
06-08-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by IgorQ
When I said "It wouldn't be as bad as SEQWIN" i was refering to the hordes of people that it would open the software up to.

IgorQ

Yeah, I'd agree with you on that. ;)

bioseq
06-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Although it would be nice to run SEQ natively on my mac, I've gotten around this by running under linux in my firewall and then exporting the display to the mac.

It isn't perfect, but it works. I don't see any speed problems doing it this way. It was hard enough to get all the requirements (especially qt3) under the linux box running mandrake than trying to get it to work under the mac would be a pain in the arse

BSeq

IgorQ
06-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Not trying to do this because its easy. But because I like to try this sorta stuff.

IgorQ

If everything was easy. we'd all be fat like windows.