PDA

View Full Version : Locate bug

sauron
06-12-2002, 04:29 PM
I noticed that when the Locate is going, and you zoom in to where the MOB isnt on the screen, the WHITE line goes away. It should stay like the targeting purple line does.

Mr. Suspicious
06-12-2002, 06:14 PM
Do a search, is native QT behaviour, it cannot draw a line between 2 locations if one of the locations is not on the map. You see the same bahaviour with zoneborders when the zoneborder is one long line from spot A to B and one of the spots in not on the zoomed in map.

Zaphod
06-12-2002, 07:27 PM
It isn't native Qt behavior, but it is a border case of the maps optimization of not wasting CPU drawing things that are off screen (which happens to really speed things up when zoomed).

It is an artifact of a feature and expected behavior. Not necessarily optimal, but not a bug per se. This particular artifact might be eliminated at some point depending on what ideas crop up.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

sauron
06-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the response, and I understand now that it's actually working "correctly".

But, I hoped since the PURPLE target line can still draw to targets "off-screen" that the WHITE locate line could also be coded to do this as well. Just a suggestion then. Thanks Zaphod for all your effort here. I eagerly install all of your updates!

P.S. -- I know it may not be good to ask another question in this thread, but it will probably be another quick answer. When ShowEQ decodes for me, a lot of times (say 20-40%), I'll get maybe 80% of the stuff decoded, and the rest stays unknown. And I have to camp, or rezone, sometimes 2-4 times (some zones seem much harder than others -- Kedge Keep for example), to get a good decode. Is there any way this can be optomized / fixed? Obviously the information is there because my EQ client has the information just fine. And I have a decent cable modem connection with a pretty fast zone time. I've read some posts on questions like this before, and some developers said it was lag or lost packets that cause this. But my point is that if the EQ client can get the information, why can't ShowEQ?

Thanks for your time and help!
Sauron

high_jeeves
06-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Because the packet is meant for EQ, ShowEQ has to depend on libpcap "seeing" the packet when it comes across... If EQ machine doesnt see it, it isnt ACKd, and it is resent. If SEQ doesnt see it.. nothing happens...

Generally the causes of this are:

A) datarate set too high (datarate.txt in your EQ dir).

B) large amounts of network traffic

--Jeeves

sauron
01-31-2003, 03:24 PM
Wanted to bring up the issue of the WHITE locate line not drawing if you are too zoomed in. A friend was having this problem, and asked me why the locate line didn't show up, and I told him about this "bug". Seems to me that if you want something located bad enough that you tagged it as a LOCATE mob, that this code should work like the purple (targeting) lines do -- that they will drawn to a point off the current view area of the map. Is this a doable change? I know the devs are busy getting ShowEQ up and alive again, but maybe this could go on a code enhancement list somewhere for a future date.