PDA

View Full Version : Network difficulties, SEQ won't see packets

sandking
06-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi all. I'm having some real problems here, and I can't figure out how to get it working, short of having to buy a router (trying to avoid it, just moved to new place, money a bit tight right now).

Here's my setup. I have EarthLink DSL (uses PPPoE). My computer runs WinXP Pro, and my linux box runs (just finished installing this morning in fact) Red Hat 7.3 with the current version of SEQ 4.2 installed and (appears to be) operational. My hub is a 3com HomeConnect 10/100 5-port hub. My computer is on port 1, my g/f's computer on port 2, linux box on port 3, DSL modem on the uplink.

Quick bit of background info. I used to have DirecPC satellite, and because of that, I had another PC (sitting in the corner now) working as my satellite server. I ran SEQ with no problems, which was at that time run on Madrake 8.1. My current problem occured with mdk8.1 as well, but last night I decided to upgrade the box to RH7.3 for the hell of it.

Now here's my problem. SEQ won't pick up EQ on either mine or my g/f's computers. When I do a tcpdump, here's a sample of what I see:

12:34:35.274355 PPPoE [ses 0xccee] IP 56: user-xxxxxxx.dsl.mindspring.com.1281 > eqzone-xx-xx.989studios.com.4513: udp 26
12:34:35.534679 PPPoE [ses 0xccee] IP 56: user-xxxxxxx.dsl.mindspring.com.1281 > eqzone-xx-xx.989studios.com.4513: udp 26
12:34:35.572534 PPPoe [ses 0xccee] IP 75: eqzone-xx-xx.989studios.com.4513 > user-xxxxxxx.dsl.mindspring.com.1281: udp 45
12:34:35.782258 PPPoe [ses 0xccee] IP 56: eqzone-xx-xx.989studios.com.4513 > user-xxxxxxx.dsl.mindspring.com.1281: udp 26
12:34:35.984652 PPPoe [ses 0xccee] IP 60: eqzone-xx-xx.989studios.com.4513 > user-xxxxxxx.dsl.mindspring.com.1281: udp 30

Now, I'm not a packet analysis expert, but one could assume from this data that my linux machine is able to see both incoming and outgoing packets, to and from my client. However, when I run seq, it doesn't detect any connections. I've tried the following:
-starting showeq with unmodified seqdef.xml and no command line params (leaving seq to listen for next client seen)
-forcing -i eth0
-forcing -i ppp0 (didn't think it would work, but figured it was worth a shot)
-manually entering my eq client's internet ip address into seqdef.xml
-manually entering my eq client's local (192.168.0.xxx) ip address into seqdef.xml

I am at a loss of what to do. It's clear my linux box is picking up network traffic, and I can ping my winxp box on both local and internet ip's. Is this a problem (what I'm currently suspecting) with PPPoE? Is there anything I can do, without adding additional hardware, to make this work? Worst case scenario, I pick up a DSL/Cable router, reconfigure my network settings on all machines, run my winxp and linux boxen into my existing hub, and run the hub into the router... I tried to provide as much information (perhaps some useless) as possible so a proper assessment could be made, but if anyone that is willing to help requires more info, feel free to ask. I check the forums several times a day, and am enabling email notification. Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this, even if you may not be able to help.

--sandking

high_jeeves
06-13-2002, 12:16 PM
PPPOE is a different packet structure than UDP, so ShowEq cant read it. You need to be running vanilla UDP from your EQ box. You can acheive this in a few ways:

1) Running the PPPOE from the linux box, and using it as a gateway (so the Win box is still talking in standard IP/UDP).

2) Getting a gateway that will handle the PPPOE (either another computer or router)

3) Changing ISPs to one who doesnt require PPPOE.

4) Rewriting the packet handling code in ShowEQ to support both UDP and PPPOE.

Pick whichever one works best for you...

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
06-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Have you tried sniffing eth1 instead of eth0? Seq can't read PPPoE packets, it needs standard IP. If eth0 is the external interface and seeing PPPoE, then I suspect eth1 is your internal interface and is seeing IP. Give that a shot.

sandking
06-13-2002, 12:28 PM
That was a quick reply ;) Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Earthlink is the only "decent" DSL provider in the area, and I'm into a contract with them for the next 6 months (21.95 a month for the first 3 months though, can't complain for 1.5m/128k). Looks like I will be needing to get that DSL/Cable router after all. I'm looking for the most efficient way to run it, and since I don't want to have to depend on any other PC to have net access on my main system, that looks like the best route to go. I'll just have to set up my old server box and use that as my gateway until I get an external hardware solution.

I'm going to take a long shot here, but does anyone know of a program frontend capable of taking the PPPoE packets and outputing them as vanilla UDP on a virtual ethernet device? I'm sure the need for something like this is so small that only the most bored of programmers would touch it, but it doesn't hurt to ask ;p

Thanks again.

--sandking

high_jeeves
06-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Not that I know of... there is a tool written by one of the regulars here which forwards UDP packets to different network segments, but that doesnt do any conversion from PPPOE. Given the current cost of routers (i picked mine up for $60), its going to be the easiest and most reliable way to go...

--Jeeves

Yueh
06-13-2002, 04:20 PM
If you have that extra PC sitting in the corner why not just install IPCop on it and save the router? Shove it in a closet and forget about it.

sandking
06-15-2002, 12:29 PM
The main reason I don't want to turn my extra PC into a router is that we use enough electricity (sometimes almost as half the cost of the mortgage)... I'm looking for a solution that won't be more into my pockets on a monthly basis.

sandking
06-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Well I decided to pick up a router yesterday. Actually, girlfriend picked it up for me, since she works at a place that gets a discount. Unfortunately, she picked up the Linksys BEFSR11 1-port DSL/Cable router. I didn't want to run all the computers into the hub (just my main system and linux box), but since I didn't feel like returning it yesterday, I gave it a whirl... worked fine (for the most part, some intermittent major packetloss spikes that I wasn't expecting). However, when I logged into EQ that all changed. Went linkdead in about 3 minutes (I hadn't gone linkdead even once without the router). Figured it was partially because I was maxing my bandwidth (downloading lord of the rings dvdrip, yay), shrugged it off, and made dinner instead.

This morning, my girlfriend tried playing EQ. She came and told me (after going LD twice in 30 minutes) that something was wrong. After she went LD a few more times, I coincidentally was browsing the forums here and came across a thread about Linksys routers having a problem with EQ. Glad I was able to show my g/f some proof to back up my statement I made yesterday stating my already high dislike for their products (in colorful wording, of course). Hopefully this time she'll pick up the router I wanted her to (Netgear RP114), and hopefully it'll work ok. I actually wanted the Siemens Speedstream 4-port router, but it's only available for online purchase (she doesn't get discount and I'd have to wait for it to arrive). We'll see how this netgear router goes... In the meantime, I think I'll try the mighty search function to see what I come up with on people here using it ;)

Thanks again for the help and advice...

high_jeeves
06-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Your original router (the linksys) is one that has issues with EQ (certain firmware thinks EQ is a DoS attack, and shuts down). The netgear is the one i use, and i dont have any problems..

--Jeeves

S_B_R
06-15-2002, 05:47 PM
There's actaully several threads about those Linksys broad band routers over on the Offical Everquest Tech Support forum...