PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Dev's

Guygin
06-14-2002, 11:11 PM
I read the following on a board today, and thought nothing of it, since I rarely use the in game chat channel. Today I joined a chat channel and after approximately 20 mins or so, I went link dead and was booted to the desk top - which very rarely happens. Roughly 5 seconds later, ShowEQ also crashed. The SEQ main window closed, exposing the terminal session window. It still showed that it was listening to the EQ box - was all very wierd. The equipment I use is a D-Link DI-704P as a firewall, with a Netgear hub. Flawless execution of the SEQ program to this point. I really think it was a fluke, and just line degredation which overpowered and shut down the connection. However, I post the quote here for the Dev's - just in case something is there which will affect the SEQ boxes as well as the clients.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the sites, EQ's new channel chat feature will attempt to connect from their chat server (port 3xxx) to your computer (random port) every so often -- typically every 10-15 minutes. If you have a linksys router/firewall (and supposedly neargear and d-link can have the problems as well) it sees this as an incoming attack and shuts down all traffic to/from that IP and the local computer.

For the Linksys BEFSR41 (router with 4port switch) the firmware versions 1.39 and before do not have port scanning so ignore the incoming traffic (just block it but don't shut anything down). Versions 1.40.1, 1.40.2, and 1.42.3 have broken port scanning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hats off to the Dev's and regulars here who make it too easy for the rest of us. :D

Just an FYI in case it can upset SEQ.

Thanks for the tireless devotion all of you put into this project!

high_jeeves
06-14-2002, 11:36 PM
There are known problems with the linksys routers and EQ (as your quote says, backup up the firmware fixes it)... The ShowEQ crash was coincidental tho.

--Jeeves