PDA

View Full Version : Network Problems again

winder09
06-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Ok, I read the FAQ and searched for posts on this.
I think I am screwed in my current configuration.

I compiled SEQ fine it runs, but it doesn't see the EQ client.

My network setup is this:
ADSL into a 4 port Linksys Router via PPPoE
from the Router into a NetGear 5 port hub
the Linux box and EQ box are plugged into the hub.

The Linux box can ping the EQ box fine.
tcpdump however shows no traffic from the EQ box.

Is this due to PPPoE?
I thought the hub would translate that.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Guygin
06-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Linksys will not work - although they are labeled a 'hub'. they are switches. When doing my research for using this great tool, I came across several threads on Linksys - they simply do not work. I use a D-Link DI-704P as a firewall, and a $29 Netgear hub - works fabulous. My old Linksys equipment is now a paperweight. Enjoy.

Edit: I didnt say this in my reply - but I tried three Linksys 'hubs' just to make sure - none of them worked. There are threads that talk about being able to make them work - but my final choice was the one listed above. 20 minutes on a clean install of Red Hat 7.2, another 20 or so with the walk through and I was up and running. For giggles, I changed my configuration and substituted the Linksys in = result was no showeq. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination - but I know what worked for me. Enjoy.

high_jeeves
06-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Guygin: Read the post first, he is branching off using a Netgear hub, which does work.

winder: is the EQ box running PPPOE, or just the router? IF the EQ box runs PPPOE, this will not work. If the router is doing the PPPOE, and all the machines are doing straight UDP, then this should work fine.

The fact that tcpdump sees NOTHING leads me to beleive you are either on different planes (they MUST both be on 10Mbit or 100Mbit, not one on each), or your ethernet card in your linux box is not capable of promiscuous mode.

--Jeeves

Guygin
06-16-2002, 10:01 PM
Does make a diff - a thousand appologies. <puts glasses on> I'm not a complete idiot - some of the parts were missing. <blushes>

winder09
06-17-2002, 05:16 AM
just the router is using PPPoE.
The Linux and EQ box (into the Netgear hub) NIC are both 10/100 working in 100 mode using good old TCP/IP.

Both NICs are identical (they came in the NetGear network in a box kit). Is there anyway I can tell for sure if it supports promisuous mode?

high_jeeves
06-17-2002, 08:11 AM
If they are reasonably new, they should support it. When you run tcpdump, you are getting NOTHING (And I mean NOTHING?) or just no SEQ traffic? Do you have either one of the machines connected to the uplink port of the hub? What is the model number of the hub? Are you sure it isnt a switch/router?

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
06-17-2002, 04:16 PM
This was posted in another thread by winder09, i'm assuming he just posted it in the wrong place:

I mean the linux box doesnt see the EQ box AT ALL with tcpdump (no internet, email or EQ packets).
It never receives any packets, although it can ping the EQ box fine.

I have a DSL modem running PPPoE into a Linksys BEFSR41 router (yes, i know its really a switch).
I have a Netgear NH1005 hub. A cat 5 cable goes from the uplink port of the hub to the port 1 slot in the router.
Both the EQ box and linux box are plugged into the hub (not in port 1).

From everything I see and know, this should work, but it isn't.

I cant find ANY information on the NH1005 hub from netgear. However, linksys DOES have a NH1005 hub.. are you sure it isnt a linksys hub? If so, it is really a switch, and thats why it doesnt work. You need to go get a real hub.

edit: I have confirmed that linksys is the maker of the NH1005 hub, not netgear (atleast according to a variety of page searches on netgear.com linksys.com google.com and groups.google.com

Is this: http://www.networkeverywhere.com/nhb1005.html what you bought? If so, it is linksys.

--Jeeves

winder09
06-17-2002, 04:40 PM
well damn.
dont you hate it when you read one thing and your hands type something totally different. it is a NH1005 (linksys is in small print on the back).

ok, so this is actually a switch too, even though it says hub?

man, i appreciate you guys looking at this.

Tims
09-28-2002, 11:50 PM
Hi all, now just to confuse the issue a little more...

I would like to confirm that the Linksys NH1005 Hub *will* work with ShowEQ. Now my particular configuration is as follows:

DSL Modem (PPPoE) -> DI-704P Router -> NH1005 'Hub'. Each of my PCs are connected separately to the Hub.

Now I believe both my NICs are 10/100 so maybe this is why it is working for me. As the FAQ points out, these Linksys Hubs aren't ruled out entirely, just that there could be problems.

I would like to thank everyone here at the SEQ forum for the great posts. I bought my D-Link router here based on the posts and recommendations. Also, the Redhat 7.2 instructions along with the SEQ.TXT file were invaluable. I was up and running from a clean HD in very short order! The only delay I ran into (and which may help some other newbs) is that when I first ran it, I forgot to obtain my EQ client IP from the ShowEQ Network Tab.

The ShowEQ program is amazing, and I am going to glady make a contribution to EFF in lieu of the $14.99 "How to Install ShowEQ" guide that is floating around. A simple search of this forum, and a wee bit of reading, accomplished this in no time.

-Tims

high_jeeves
09-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Lets be careful what we post, so we dont confuse the issue more (Alteast post all of your information, and make sure its accurate).

You probably have atleast one device on each plane of your hub/switch.. as stated in many places here on these boards, having a configuration like this will cause SOME linksys hub/switches to work like hubs.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
09-29-2002, 09:41 AM
in general, its just easier to avoid linksys hubs ;)

Tims
09-30-2002, 08:59 AM
The fact remains, a linksys NH1005 will work (under certain specific configurations, such as mine).

One of the first things I did upon discovering this forum, was plug my hub model # into the search engine. I found a few posts, and it didn't look good for the NH1005. Well, I also did enough reading here to know that it could still work, so all was not lost.

Now, I am not recommending that someone purchase a NH1005 or other linksys product, BUT if you already own one, then it kinda makes sense to see if it will work first without buying new gear, non?

In the end, the only people that will be confused are those who have not done their homework. The forum posts here, along with the FAQ, are all you need. Just spend a little time with them, and get to know them.