PDA

View Full Version : Hub question

Xarn
06-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Heyas, I went out and picked up a hub today to make SEQ work, because I have the Linksys Cable/DSL Router and switch, model BEFSR41, which I read would not work. My question is , the hub I bought, a SMC EZ5805DS 5 port 10/100 mbps dual speed hub, will that work with SEQ? Also , where in my router does this hub plug in, and where do the computers get plugged in, the hub or the router? Thanks much

high_jeeves
06-18-2002, 09:40 PM
Yes, that hub should work... Plug the uplink port in of the hub into any standard port on the router. Plug the computers into the hub. See the manual of your hub and router for more information.

--Jeeves

Xarn
06-18-2002, 09:43 PM
Thank you for the prompt response jeeves! Tried using search for SMC but had no luck, also when I plug things up like this will I need to do any extra router configuration? Or just plug it in and go? thanks again

Repard
06-18-2002, 10:49 PM
If anyone is interested in getting a linksys hub that works try the Linksys EFAH08W. I have one plugged into my linksys router and all works fine. Here's the actual link to the product.

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=24&prid=54

I have never had a problem with it. I ofcourse had a problem trying to run ShowEQ through the router and also a Linksys Print server that I own. Just though some might like to know a model number of a linksys HUB.

My config is SEQ box and Win box jacked into the hub and hub into router. Piece of cake.

fryfrog
06-18-2002, 11:03 PM
careful about recommending linksys (fake)hubs. yours may work because you have it in the one or two configurations where it DOES behave as a hub. originally (1 or 2 years ago) that was why i thought all linksys hubs would work. i had just happened to setup my network in such a way that my linksys hub actually behaved as a hub :)

Xarn
06-18-2002, 11:06 PM
Well i got this SMC one that should work but I was just now thinking of the fact that I didnt buy an extra ethernet cable ugh *smacks self*

high_jeeves
06-18-2002, 11:07 PM
Repard: I agree with fryfrog.. if you read the link you posted under features, it says:

Internal Store-and-Forward Switching for Effective Traffic Reduction

So, while it may work in your configuration (there are a variety of reasons why it might), it is in fact a "poor-mans" switch, and wont work in most situations. We dont need people searching, finding your post, and buying a device that wont work for them..

--Jeeves

Repard
06-19-2002, 09:16 AM
I'm always open to more information and am curious to know what other situations that might cause this hub not to work. I've never had a problem with it and I've used a couple of them. Can you inform me of a or some situations where it wouldn't work? I know there have been a ton of posts on the linksys hub/switch problem and I am aware of them. I have access to quite a bit of hardware and have tried a few configs. If you have any suggestions I can try other situations out with this hub and see what happens. I have used straight 10 base cards with a 10/100 base card and that worked. I use both 10/100 cards now. Any info would help me out. I work in networking day in and day out so any little bit of knowledge that I can add to my hdd in my head would be nice :D . I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and would like to add another hub to the list of working hubs for seq.

--Repard

high_jeeves
06-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Repard:

My understanding (limited tho it may be) is that many of the linksys hubs have an internal switch between the 10 and 100Mbit planes (as all hubs do). But, in the case of the linksys hubs, this switch seems to "adapt" if it is not needed to switch between planes.

According to the behavior that a few people on these boards have noted, if devices of both speeds are on the hub (this includes uplink), then it will act like an actual hub. If, however, only one plane is in use, the plane-switching device will change into a single-plane switch. Note: We have only observations to back up these suppositions. Please feel free to test a few scenarios and prove us wrong. I have tested with a few linksys devices, and have found either a) the case above is true or b) it is a complete switch.

I beleive it was fryfrog that even showed that if you took a linksys hub which wasnt working as a hub, and plugging any old 10-Mbit device (even another hub with nothing on it) into a port on your original linksys hub, it would magically start working again.

If you search for linksys, you will find quite a few newbies who have purchased a linksys, and it didnt work. Then exchanged it for a similar model SMC, D-Link or Netgear and had it work immediately, so clearly there is something fishy going on here.

Note: I'm a programmer, not a networking guy (although, I play one in my neighborhood), so you probably are more knowledgeable than me here.

--Jeeves

Repard
06-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Cool, thx for the fast reply. I will try every scenerio that I can think of to see what will and won't work with this linksys hub. I'll even mess with my Router and Print Server. Might as well see if anything will cause them to work too. I've got quite a bit of hardware layin around and many systems to mess with so it will give me something to do in all of my spare time which will probably mean that I will get done in a year or two. hehe. As a side note, if my linksys didn't work I would go with a Netgear. I've always liked linksys better and cisco when I had the money but since I worked for Netgear for some time it makes it easier to understand their products.