PDA

View Full Version : install ? - RH 7.3

chrisr99
06-19-2002, 06:22 AM
I'm new to this and after about a week of playing around and reading these messages, I decided to post a few questions.

I did a fresh, custom install of RH 7.3 on a P2 233. I installed the kernel packages, and software development in addition to a few other packages.

I downloaded some of the required packages and attempted to install/upgrade the ones that the guide mentions. I had some trouble on some of them (specifically the gcc and cpp ones) and kept getting errors related to files already being installed and dependancies. So... I forced the installs (maybe not a good thing?) and ended up with multiple versions installed (maybe a good idea to start with a fresh install?).

My question is on the make error I receive when i try to make the qt package. I see the error about the g++3 command not found and believe that is because it is not finding the file it needs, possibly due to multiple versions?

I have included come cut/pastes which show what I have going on:

[root@redhat qt-2.3.2]# make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
cd src/moc; make
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
g++3 -c -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -pipe -O2 -Wal
l -W -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -I../../include -I../tools -I. -o mocgen.o
mocgen.cpp
make[2]: g++3: Command not found
make[2]: *** [mocgen.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
make[1]: *** [src-moc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
make: *** [init] Error 2

[root@redhat qt-2.3.2]# rpm -qa | grep libstdc
libstdc++-3.1-6
compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.16
libstdc++-2.96-110
libstdc++-devel-2.96-110
libstdc++-3.1-1
libstdc++-devel-3.1-6

[root@redhat qt-2.3.2]# rpm -qa | grep gcc
gcc-2.96-110
gcc-c++-2.96-110
gcc-3.1-6
gcc-objc-2.96-110
gcc-c++-3.1-6
gcc-g77-2.96-110
libgcc-3.1-6

[root@redhat qt-2.3.2]# rpm -qa | grep cpp
cpp-2.96-110
cpp-3.1-6

So.... after all this info... my question is, will the multiple versions adversely affect me and am I better off with a clean install?

Will the newer versions not work (3.1.6).

Any help is appreciated!

high_jeeves
06-19-2002, 08:18 AM
Please take a look at one of the many threads on getting this to install on RedHat 7.3 (or take a look at the INSTALL.newbies for information on how to build with gcc3)... all of your questions will be answered in one of these two locations.

Remember.. search before you post.

--Jeeves

chrisr99
06-19-2002, 08:44 AM
High_jeeves,

Thanks for the reply, but I’m afraid those documents that you mentioned do not answer my questions. I have the Install.newbies printed out and have been ready to follow these instructions for about a week now. On page 2 they list the libraries needed, but do not list version numbers. I have searched many threads to find version numbers, but have not been able to actually download all the files needed. (for example big guys post, I am unable to download the second link for file ‘gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm’. I have all of the other 4 (thanks unknown_errors!) but I still can’t locate this one.

My question is about versions, and getting gcc installed correctly, yet you point to something to tell me “how to build with gcc3” Did you even read my post? If I can get gcc installed correctly, I will happily continue through the install.newbies document.

-Chris

high_jeeves
06-19-2002, 09:01 AM
You have gcc3 installed correctly, if you bother to read the documents, you will find that you need to edit a file in your qt build configuration to tell it which compiler to use, and you need to specify your CC and CXX environment variables in order to build seq correctly. PLEASE read the documentation.. this is all in there.

From INSTALL.newbies:

1.4 Editting linux-g++-shared
edit the file "qt-src/configs/linux-g++-shared and change all references to "gcc" to "gcc3" as well as "g++" to "g++3" (lines 3, 4, 35, and 59). save your changes (ctrl-o, ctrl-x)

in your case, make sure you either create gcc3/g++3 links, or change the gcc3/g++3 above to gcc-3.1-6, etc.

--Jeeves

chrisr99
06-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Good point Jeeves. I have done that actually. They have been edited. I am on step 1.5 of the install.newbies guide which is right after I edit that file. This is where I receive my original error which made me go back to earlier steps and try to determine where I went wrong.

"in your case, make sure you either create gcc3/g++3 links, or change the gcc3/g++3 above to gcc-3.1-6, etc."

I have not tried to change them to gcc-3.1-6 etc. This maybe my version problem.

You also mention links, I am assuming you mean symbolic links, for files or directories? I did not see anything in the install.newbie guide on this, and did not think I would need to, but I can search on this some.

high_jeeves
06-19-2002, 09:39 AM
The install.newbies guide assumes you have a gcc3 and g++3 executeable on your system... depending on distro, which RPMs you used, and the phase of the moon, you may only have gcc<specific-version-number> or g++<specific-version-numer> executables. There are 2 solutions:

1) create a /usr/bin/gcc3 and /usr/bin/g++3 symbolic link which reference your gcc<version> and g++<version> executables.

2) Change everywhere in the docs where it says gcc3 to gcc<version>

--Jeeves

chrisr99
06-19-2002, 09:56 AM
I definitely think that is part of the problem.

when I run the make in section 1.5 the error is

make[2]: g++3: Command not found

Which I assume it is getting the g++3 from the file I edited. I currently have installed

gcc-2.96-110
gcc-c++-2.96-110
gcc-3.1-6
gcc-objc-2.96-110
gcc-c++-3.1-6
gcc-g77-2.96-110
libgcc-3.1-6

(note the duplicate packages, but with different versions)

So I will try to change the g++3 to g++3.1-6 and see if that works, or variables of this (g++316, g++31 etc.)

I will also try to create those links you mentioned and see if that helps.

chrisr99
06-20-2002, 09:31 AM
Ok, still not having a whole lot of luck.... I have mandrake also, is that easier? :)

My problem seems in basically upgrading the packages in order to do the QT install.

I just did a fresh install of Redhat 7.3 on a P2, 233 machine. I did the custom install and added the software development and kernel packages.

I downloaded the following and have tried to upgrade them:
gcc3-3.0.1-3.src.rpm
gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

I was able to install the last 3 packages and receive the following when I look for them.

[root@redhat home]# rpm -qa | grep libstdc
libstdc++3-3.0.1-3
libstdc++-devel-2.96-110
compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.16
libstdc++-2.96-110
libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3

[root@redhat home]# rpm - qa | grep gcc
gcc-g77-2.96-110
gcc-2.96-110
libgcc-3.0.1-3
gcc-c++-2.96-110
gcc-objc-2.96-110

Now, it appears that I have the old version (2.96-110) still installed for the libstdc packages.
I used a rpm-Uvh (package) command to try to upgrade.

My first question is this going to be a problem having multiple versions of these packages?

My next question is regarding the gcc.

When I try to install the first product, I get:

[root@redhat home]# rpm -Uvh gcc3-3.0.1-3.src.rpm
1:gcc3 ########################################### [100%]

which appears to install, but then:
[root@redhat home]# rpm -qa | grep gcc3
[root@redhat home]#

showing it isn't installed.

when I try to upgrade the other package:

[root@redhat home]# rpm -Uvh gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
gcc3 = 3.0.1-3 is needed by gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3

confirming that the first package is not installed.

I realize this might not be the place for gcc install questions, but figured maybe someone has had the same problems.

Would it be easier to install RH without the gcc and libstd stuff and then just add them after the install, and not have to worry about upgrading?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

-Chris

high_jeeves
06-20-2002, 09:59 AM
You need to have both versions of the compiler... this is not a bug, it is a necessity (EVERYTHING else on your system is built with a 2.x compiler... removing this compiler will make it so you cant build anything against your existing libraries and system.)

RedHat 7.3 is one of the more difficult systems to set up for ShowEQ, but here are a couple of threads describing the process.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1477&highlight=7.3

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1144&highlight=7.3

Generally speaking, RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.2 will be easier, but it has and can be done on RedHat 7.3

--Jeeves

TweedleDee
06-20-2002, 10:38 AM
One way I got around that problem with 7.3 is to find out what exactly the system needed specified to use the 3.x.x libraries.

To see which compiler your sys defaults to, type gcc -v and g++ -v. If it defaults to the 2.x version, try adding to them untill it shows the correct version (i.e. gcc3, gcc3.0, gcc-3.0). That will be what you need to edit the build file to show. This is a bit faster and easier than changing the build file and trying to make it to see if it fails or not. Also, if it defaults to the 3.x by just typing gcc -v, that's all you need in the build file.

Maybe this will help, maybe not. I'm a newbie too but this worked for me. /shrug

edit:

Also, maybe try "rpm -qa | grep gcc-3.0.1" instead of gcc3 ?

fryfrog
06-20-2002, 03:02 PM
okay, here is THE EASY way to figure out the name of your gcc-3 binary:

open a console (hopefully bash) and type "gcc" then press the <TAB> key once or twice. this will attempt to "auto complete" what you are typing. pressing it twice should LIST all the options it thinks you have.

in this list you will see something like...

mystique root # gcc
gcc gcc-3.1 gccbug-3.1 gccmakedep
mystique root # gcc

so, looking at MY system (gentoo linux, with gcc-3.1) my ONLY options for gcc are "gcc" and "gcc-3.1". take a wild guess which i use for showeq.

now, you may see something like "gcc-2.96 gcc-3.0.4 gcc gcc3" or some other combination. what you are looking for is the name of your gcc-3 compiler. use that instead of "gcc3" where the install instuctions tell you.

so, using MY system, instead of using "gcc3" and "g++3" i use "gcc-3.1" and "g++-3.1". do you get it?

chrisr99
06-21-2002, 05:07 AM
I thnk my big problem is being unable to get the gcc 3.X installed.

Trying what you suggested Fryog I get:

[root@redhat lib]# gcc
gcc gccmakedep
[root@redhat lib]# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)
[root@redhat lib]# g++ -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)
[root@redhat lib]#

-Chris

fryfrog
06-21-2002, 03:23 PM
i tried to use rh 7.3 but was disappointed that it did not come with gcc-3.0/3.1 at all. i tried the rh 7.2 rpms, but gave up soon after discovering gentoo linux.

i can't really help ya out much getting gcc-3.1 installed, but if you have to download the source and compile it... so be it :)

or you could drop down from 7.3 and use 7.2 which works.

or try out gentoo. one of the things i like about it is that you don't have to upgrade to a new distro if you want the latest shit. you just type "emerge --clean rsync ; emerge -u world system" and you are now running the most current version of what ever is avaiable and installed currently on your system.

or try mdk 8.1/2 or rh 7.2 :)