PDA

View Full Version : Linux Tutorial/CBT/Learning

Moronica
06-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Turns out I get the wonderful chance to be the "Linux" person for my company's IT department(Fortune 1000 company). I made the mistake of mentioning that I had tinkered around with it some. I didn't tell them that this tinkering was only done so I could cheat at a video game.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go, what book to buy, etc? I have a new PC sitting in my office right now waiting for me to install it and the few messaging apps we are looking into (SendMail).

Mostly looking for a tutorial site or something along that line.

Thanks

Dedpoet
06-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Check out this thread.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=844

BlueAdept
06-19-2002, 06:55 PM
My suggestion is to buy a book first off. Nothing beats having a good book by your side.

Next you can try some of the linux documentation sites. Yahoo will turn up a couple.

For a start you can go to http://www.linuxdoc.org

Good luck.

Heh, my company is going in the other direction. They are changing from SCO unix to Windows 2000....I think it is a BIG mistake.

Mago
06-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Good Book, picked one up when i was learning linux7.2

Not a insult I have one myself Linux for Dummies,...

29.99 plus tax comes with 3 cd set of 7.2...

very well put together book... read the book,

look at the help about how to install showeq with 7.2

compare notes with help page and linux book 7.2

above all have fun :)

icel0rd
06-24-2002, 07:00 PM
My advice to you is to try and exclusively use Linux. I personally like the redhat distributions and the amount of support you get with it.

If there is something you must run in windows, get vmware at www.vmware.com and run windows in a virtual machine with bridged networking enabled so that it is networked. I got over my Linux newbie stage after running it as my primary OS and learning as I went.

You can do almost everything on it if you want to that you can do on windows (except playing a lot of the 3d games that were written for windows). Linux is a nice refreshing break from windows with the amount of control it gives you over things.

Hope your Linux adventures work out.

-Ice-