PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ not displaying properly

Xarn
06-20-2002, 02:06 AM
For somer reason when I load ShowEQ and zone into someplace, far after things have spawned or other people have zoned in, i dont get proper results. For instance, bazaar has 40 people in it, my player list only shows 3 including me. It doesnt show all the NPCs in the zone, just a few players. Whats the reason for this? The first time I ran it it was working properly, i went to a console window after doing make install and did ./showeq, and it loaded the program, but now, after reboots, when in /root/showeq, i type ./showeq and it says file or directory not found. I can open the program by typing just showeq, but then i get these problems i just mentioned and it really doesnt work properly. How can i fix this, or what am i doing wrong? thanks

Dedpoet
06-20-2002, 06:16 AM
A quick lesson about paths:

. means "current directory." For security reasons, it's not wise to have the current directory in your path. When you type "./showeq" you are asking the OS to run the "showeq" executible that is in whatever directory you are currently in. From your post, it looks like you are in the directory that you downloaded seq into - the showeq executible is not in this directory, which is why that command doesn't work. The showeq executible is in the /usr/local/bin directory, which is in your path, which is why you can type "showeq" from anywhere on your system and it will start.

Your other issue is not related to the above. Are you sure you are starting Showeq before starting EQ? Are you sure your hub is a hub, and not a switch? Can you see EQ network trafic from your Linux box with the tcpdump command? Search the forums for the word "tcpdump" and you will find a wealth of information on the subject.

fgay trader
06-20-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Xarn
For somer reason when I load ShowEQ and zone into someplace, far after things have spawned or other people have zoned in, i dont get proper results. For instance, bazaar has 40 people in it, my player list only shows 3 including me. It doesnt show all the NPCs in the zone, just a few players.
I saw this as well, but only on SpawnList2, and only if the option to "immediately update" (or something close to that) is checked. Unchecked that option, left the update interval as default (10) and everything worked normally for me. Your milage may vary.

Xarn
06-20-2002, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation there Ded, no I was not starting ShowEQ before EQ itself, I was starting it after. As for my hub yes I am sure its working, because as I said it was working before and it did pick things up, this problem was just after I had started ShowEQ again after rebooting the linux box. I will try that now, starting SEQ before EQ and see if it fixes things.

TweedleDee
06-20-2002, 10:59 AM
I'm a newb, but make sure you have the latest libEQ.a file by checking your md5 checksum. That can cause a lot of problems with decoding and partial decoding.

To check:

cd /usr/lib
md5sum libEQ.a

should match the one listed here:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/index.php?s=

if not:

cd /usr/lib/
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a

Xarn
06-20-2002, 11:55 AM
The libEQ.a checked fine, same number. I found that starting SEQ before running EQ fixed my problem. Thanks =)