PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ Doesnt' Catch Any Packets...

Grakun
06-25-2002, 09:43 PM
I just got ShowEQ running on Debian today... It loads and everything just fine, but it won't detect the EQ Session... I was told to do "tcpdump -i eth1 |grep 192.168.0.1" and it showed that I could see the packets... Also, when I quit ShowEQ it segfaults... The segfault doesn't matter, since it's when I quit, but could it be related? Maybe there's a package I need to download that i forgot?

high_jeeves
06-25-2002, 11:25 PM
Maybe you need to describe your network... although a few here may think they are clairvoyant, I dont think any of us actually are. Generally, when asking a question, something more than "It doesnt work, why?" is appropriate.

--Jeeves

Grakun
06-25-2002, 11:59 PM
INTERNET
|
|
|
HUB
|
|
EQ--------ShowEQ

The cable goes from the DSL into the uplink port of the hub. The EQ computer then connects to the internet, and turns on Internet Connection Sharing, then the ShowEQ computer uses the EQ computer as a gateway to the internet...

It should work, since tcpdump can see packets...

Grakun
06-26-2002, 12:02 AM
That was a bad picture... Here's a better one...

..................Internet
.......................|
.......................|
.......................|
.......................|
.............EQ ------- ShowEQ

Dedpoet
06-26-2002, 07:12 AM
What brand and model is your "hub"? It looks to me from your purty picture that it is a router and that both of your machines are plugged into it. Routers are switches, not hubs, so your Seq box will never see the EQ traffic.

You said you could see traffic with tcpdump - is it EQ traffic or just network broadcast traffic? Telling us the make and model of your "hub" will probably shed some light on this.

S_B_R
06-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Grakun
That was a bad picture... Here's a better one...

..................Internet
.......................|
.......................|
.......................|
.......................|
.............EQ ------- ShowEQ

In this configuration you need to be sniffing for your External IP address NOT the internal 192.168.X.X address... This is unless, like Dedpoet said, your "hub" is actually a router, in that case it is doubtful this will work at all.

Grakun
06-26-2002, 08:26 AM
It's a D-Link 5 port hub.
http://www.d-link.com/products/hubs/de805/

Grakun
06-26-2002, 08:31 AM
ShowEQ does catch some packets(when it's listening for an eq session on 127.0.0.0), but only during the login, and it never found the session... I'm going to try having it look for the external IP...

tcpdump showed some packets either to or from station.sony.com...

Mr. Suspicious
06-26-2002, 08:56 AM
tcpdump -i eth1 |grep 192.168.0.1

Make sure SEQ is listening to eth1 aswell and not to eth0. This brings up the next question... I see no reason in the setup you drawed, for the Linux Box to have 2 Ethernet Cards.... so er.. perhaps your setup drawing isn't as accurate as it could be?

high_jeeves
06-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Does your DSL require you to use PPPOE? Can you access the internet from your Linux box?

--Jeeves

Grakun
06-26-2002, 10:13 AM
I put 2 cards in it, because originally I wanted the linux box to connect to the internet... but I can't get it to work... I tried both Raging Penguin(or whatever it was) and the pppoe package on apt-get(i'm using Debian)... I couldn't get either one to work... So I decided to try plugging the DSL into the uplink port of the hub, connect with my windows box, and using the windows box as a gateway for the linux box to access the net...

fryfrog
06-26-2002, 10:20 AM
i'm willing to bed that the windows box is transmitting all its packets using pppoe, which would explain why you CAN see eq traffic in tcpdump but seq doesn't monitor it. basically, you need something that will translate pppoe into real ethernet (or you could re-write seq to see pppoe packets to?).

the device you want is a hardware router, like a linksys or d-link residential router/gateway. you could also use something like ipcop, smoothwall, freesco or floppyfw if you have some crap hardware laying around. you should be able to find a hardware router for 50-70 bucks, so its not that bad.

your network setup is fairly odd. while linux and windows are both hooked to a hub, you are using ICS on windows to give the linux box access to inet? anyway, if you get the hardware router, your network might look something like this:

{internet cloud} <--> (broadband router) <--> hub <--> EQ/SEQ/Etc

S_B_R
06-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Yeah PPPoE is one of those details that is actually Very important in troubleshooting this... It won't work the way you have it. The PPPoE stream will have to be unpacked into striaght Ethernet for SEQ to decode it...

Kjan
07-01-2002, 02:08 AM
I seem to be having the same problems

I installed RH 7.3 2 days ago and installed the relevent packages and then proceeded to install showEQ following the step-by-step instructions.

I Got show EQ working without a problem but it does not appear to detect my Eq session on my windows PC.

Here's my setup

INTERNET
|
CABLE MODEM
|
|
ROUTER
|
---------------------------------------
|........................|.....................|
WINXP(EQ)____LINUX_____WINXP(FRIENDS)

I've got a Barricade router which give internet access to all PC's attached including the Linux box.

My linux box can ping the IP address of my WinXP PC running EQ
but it just doesn't want to know about sniffing EQ packets.

Being new to Linux I'm not quite sure what to do next, do I need to change my network config or change the way it connects to the net.:confused:

Any help would be gr8

Thanx

Kjan

Mr. Suspicious
07-01-2002, 06:03 AM
ROUTER

You need a HUB, do a search on these forums, try searching for hub and linksys and you'll find a 1000 threads all answering your issue.

gaingreen
07-05-2002, 07:40 AM
Are you sniffing the ip that your EQ box is on? Get the ip of the box you play eq on. PPoE wont affect it unless you are trying to sniff the ip giving by the PPoE server. As long as that boxes has 192.* or a 10.* shoeq will work regardless of PPoE.

-=GaInGrEEn=-

Script0r
07-06-2002, 12:33 PM
actually, if you are buying a hardware router like a linksys or d-link... you can buy them with either built in switches or hubs. So you should check to make sure that your router doesn't have a built in switch.

high_jeeves
07-07-2002, 09:33 AM
Actually.. 99% of all routers on the market are switched... it just makes sense that way. If you are going to build a device that by nature directs all traffic to one port, then you are generally just going to use a switch (since that what a switch does anyway).

--Jeeves

fryfrog
07-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by gaingreen
Are you sniffing the ip that your EQ box is on? Get the ip of the box you play eq on. PPoE wont affect it unless you are trying to sniff the ip giving by the PPoE server. As long as that boxes has 192.* or a 10.* shoeq will work regardless of PPoE.

-=GaInGrEEn=-

actually, that is not quite true. if you setup like... DSL Modem <-> Hub <-> EQ/SEQ and you use pppoe client on linux and windows, showeq will not work because all packets will be in pppoe. what you really need is a "device" (be it hardware or another linux box) that NATs for you, keeping the pppoe on one side and normal ethernet on the other.