PDA

View Full Version : Same old same old ... RH 7.3 & gcc3

Rayden
06-28-2002, 10:52 AM
OK, fresh install of RedHat 7.3. Did some searches to find out how to get gcc3 to work. tried to install the RPM's for it but i get a lot of dependencies that say 2.96 is required. I've even tried the precompiled with gcc3 rpms on www.doomed.to/showeq that Zaphod provides however i get the "something wicked has occured" when trying to ./configure. In another search I see that this was in a recent version of showeq ...

"Workaround for Qt 3.0.[1-4] bug involving slots that take an int argument with the string "int" in the name being unable to recieve events from menus (just renamed them all). Qt 3.0.x now officially supported (and is about as supported as it will be until ShowEQ 5, whenever that is). This also makes it so that RedHat 7.3 (and possibly Mandrake 8.2) users can compile out of the box using "./configure --enable-old-compiler" "

so i did "./configure --enable-old-compiler" using /usr/lib/qt-3.0.3 as QTDIR. compiles fine, make runs fine. showeq runs, however it's VERY ... did i stress VERY? ... slow. I have the most recent nvidia drivers installed etc.

Any thoughts?

Rayden

high_jeeves
06-28-2002, 10:58 AM
If you are having performance problems, perhaps you should list your hardware and results of a "top" command while you are running ShowEQ? Otherwise, nobody can answer your question..

--Jeeves

Rayden
06-28-2002, 11:12 AM
I really don't think it's a problem with hardware or anything like that since I've run showeq on 7.2 for quite a while, I believe it's something with qt-3.0.3. trying the gcc3 install mentioned here ... http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=1477 ... compiling qt-2.3.2 now and I'll see if that helps

Rayden

Exo
07-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Just for giggles I built up a 7.3 and did the build with qt-3.0.3

I got the same very slow ShowEQ that I believe you to be getting. Everything seems to be working fine but it draws really really slow.

Fired up X on my windows box, export the display, launch it. ShowEQ runs like a dream with windows doing the drawing so I tend to think it is in the qt as well.

qt-2.3.2 is probably the answer though I didn't go back and install it.

Exo
07-11-2002, 12:42 AM
Okay .. I just installed qt-2.3.2 and it solves the problem like I figured it would just as so many people in the know had said it likely would.

To add to it however, I have in possession a set of RPM's for QT built correctly. These came about early on in the release of SEQ4. They work wonderfuly and allow me to skip to QT build when I install SEQ fresh. I believe Zaphod built them but I could be wrong on that (I'm sure he'll let me know if I am). Is there some reason those don't seem to be in common use?

Dug a little deeper and it was Zaphod that put them out.

http://bunce.to/showeq/

Dedpoet
07-11-2002, 06:44 AM
Very interesting findings, Exo. I actually found that I got better performance after building my own Qt 2.3.2 than I did with the RPM's. As a side note, what X software are you using on your windows box? I'd like to play with this too...I have access to some commercial software, but would prefer not to use it.

Exo
07-11-2002, 02:00 PM
I use Exceed on my windows box.