PDA

View Full Version : Troubles after a reconfiguration

Noobian
06-28-2002, 04:03 PM
I've been using ShowEQ successfully for the past year or more. However, a couple of days ago a lightining hit fried the modem in the machine I was using to conned to the internet, causing me to have to connect using a different machine. Now I can't get ShowEQ to work properly. Let me try to draw a diagram of how things are connected.

Old Connections, in which everything worked fine.

P3-800
WinME
Modem
10/100 NIC
|
|
|
Linksys DS104
10/100 Hub -----------------ShowEQ Machine (unknown Speed NIC)
|
|
|-----------------------P4-1.5 WinXP, 10/100 NIC
|
|-----------------------Celeron, WinXP, 10/100 NIC

New Configuration:

Celeron
WinXP
Modem (2 actually, bonding does help)
10/100 NIC
|
|
|
Linksys DS104
10/100 Hub ----------------ShowEQ Machine (unknown speed NIC)
|
|
|
|--------------------P4-1.5, WinXP, 10/100 NIC
|
|
|--------------------P3-800, WinME, 10/100 NIC
(just looked the NIC up, manufacturer says its 10/100

Now, in the new configuration the SowEQ machine will detect the packets sent to the P3-800 machine if you select "monitor next EQ client seen" however, it does not seem to see any of the packets sent to the P4 machine, which is my primary machine.

Does anyone have some suggestions? Could there be something I selected or did not select when I set the Celery WinXP machine up? Are the WinXP machines using some different way to communicate or altered packets or something?

If you do, control panel, network connections, and select the network cards on the two WinXP machines they indicate a 100Mbps connection. Is there a way to check this on the WinME and Linux boxes?

I'm a little bit lost here;

Noobian

fryfrog
06-29-2002, 01:37 AM
linksys hubs are not really hubs, they are switches.

in linux, type "ifconfig" and look for 100 or 10

in windows 9x / ME use start / run / "winipcfg"