PDA

View Full Version : Problem with udpecho

Omghi
07-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Ok, so basically my setup goes something like this:

Internet==DSL(pppoe)==EQ==Hub==SEQ

EQ machine = 192.168.0.1 SEQ = 192.168.0.100

Obviously, 2 lan cards in EQ machine. Also, there's other computers on the hub, but they shouldn't matter for this.

Anyway, on to the problem. I have a linksys hub, and I'm 100% sure it's really a switch, additionally the modem is pppoe, which screws me out of most configurations. I don't want to use the linux machine as a router since I dual boot into windows and don't wanna lose the connection every time I reboot. So, I figured UDPecho would do the trick by running it on the EQ machine, yet no matter what I set it to or what IP the SEQ machine is told to sniff, no packets are going through on network diagnostics. Tcpdump is also showing just the EQ computer sending packets over what I assume is the broadcast ip on the network (192.168.0.255) and occasionally to the SEQ computer, nothing to or from the everquest servers when I'm connected. I've tried every combination of in adapters and out on my system in udpecho while running EQ, and nothing caused any change in what the SEQ computer saw.

Is there anything wrong with that setup that's causing this? Or is it in the software? I thought the hub being a switch only mattered when you were trying to catch the packets as they came from the internet to your EQ machine, not when using UDPecho to retransmit them...or is it that UDPecho specifies no destination, and the magical cheap ass hub/switch stops it from being sent down the network anyway? And last, if it is in fact the hub causing the problem, is it at all possible in UDPecho to change the destination tag on incoming packets to send them specifically to the IP of the SEQ computer?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've searched like every topic I could and couldn't find a direct answer on a situation like this.

high_jeeves
07-01-2002, 11:35 PM
I am by no means the source on udpecho.. The author (winseq) is the best person to answer these.. but I'll give it a shot:

Is the traffic coming into your EQ machine PPPOE, or do you have a DSL router doing the PPPOE (wasnt 100% clear from your diagram). If your EQ machine is talking in PPPOE, you are SOL. udpecho forwards EQ packets, PPPOE packets != EQ packets. Even if udpecho forwarded all packets, ShowEQ would not recognise the PPPOE packets.

--Jeeves

Omghi
07-01-2002, 11:56 PM
I guess if that's the case, it's pppoe...the modem connects straight to a NIC in the EQ computer. I was assuming it was translated to UDP before being caught by udpecho, but now that I think about it, I'm an idiot. So at this point my options are to either connect the DSL modem up to the SEQ computer, or get a DSL router?

Oh, just remembered...it doesn't seem to work when I use a dialup account either, if that says anything.

In any case, thanks for the quick reply ^_^

Omghi
07-02-2002, 12:02 AM
Nm that bit about it not working with dialup, I musta done something wrong last time. Now when I connect via a dialup modem, tcpdump goes crazy with packets from 192.168.255.128...so I guess it's all because of the pppoe crap ><