PDA

View Full Version : Mobs jump from place to place...

jtkirk
07-02-2002, 09:02 AM
With the latest showeq, I noticed that mob motion on the map is much jerkier - every second or so, the position gets updated on the map, with a directional arrow, but the program doesn't seem to interpolate position during the interim period. In prior versions, the program seemed to take the speed and direction of the mob, and display a best guess at position in realtime.

Is there a way to get showeq to show a smooth motion again?

-jtkirk

high_jeeves
07-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Yes, ShowEQ knows you dont search first, so it does this. If you search first (or just read the Announcements forum), it will automagically fix itself.

Here are the results of a minute of my life I'll never get back (good thing you didnt have to waste YOUR time!):

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1269&highlight=slow

--Jeeves

jtkirk
07-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Well, this may be too easy an answer for those who just thrive on search queries, but I thought I share what I've found with the less enlightened (perhaps even those who don't mind asking others to give a minute of thier lives that they will never get back... horrors!):

The value to set is indeed AnimateSpawnMovement, but it appears that showeq now reads its configuration information from several different .xml files (I saw two, one called seqdef.xml, and another called showeq.xml).

My initial instict was to tweak the showeq.conf file (which also had this setting), and that was utterly useless. I assume I have this file only because I've used earlier versions.

If you tweak the file seqdef.xml, you'll be able to set 'AnimateSpawnMovement' to 'true'.

Why you would want to set this to false, and further why you'd ever want it to default to false, is beyond me. It seems to me that a best guess is better than things just staying still until they jump on top of you.

high_jeeves
07-02-2002, 11:47 AM
1) You should never edit the xml file directly. If you spend 30 seconds looking at the interface, you will find this option.

2) It is off by default because it is VERY slow.. You always distribute software in the lowest common denominator, so everyone can run. Then, people can turn on features that they would like. All of this has been discussed in both the CHANGES file and the Announcements forum. You need to read those when you update the software, they are there for a reason.

--Jeeves