PDA

View Full Version : showeq install

Xalpus
07-02-2002, 02:45 PM
i have found install instruction for rh 7.2 but cannot find anything like them for 7.3. any help even if it is just to point me to a topic i have searched till my eyes bled but have not found one

if there is no step by step instructions for rh 7.3 what is the best distribution for seq.. i tried gentoo.. unfortunalty i am much to dense for that one..

high_jeeves
07-02-2002, 03:09 PM
There really arent any step-by-step instructions for RedHat 7.3, you probably picked the hardest distro... give RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.2 a try, or read the RedHat 7.3 threads that can be found by searching.. they give some basic advice on changes that need to be made to the 7.2 walkthrough. If you are new to linux, switch to 7.2.. it will save you alot of headache.

--Jeeves

Chuin
07-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Use the SEARCH my friend.....

I just did a total system wipe last week and installed RH7.3 and followed the instructions I found here thru search... The system runs great and I have zero complaints.

SEARCH for the answers and when your done and it's working you can feel good about yourself.

S_B_R
07-02-2002, 03:11 PM
The Redhat 7.2 howto will work for the most part. only thing to watch for is version numbers. If you run into any issues search for "redhat 7.3" and you should find a couple threads that will help.
Also there is a new configure option "--enable-old-compiler". With that SEQ might compile out of the box on Redhat 7.3, I've never used it though, but I'm sure others have.

Xalpus
07-02-2002, 07:48 PM
thats kinda what i have been looking for the how to make it work out of the box there are some recent changes to seq that elude to being able to do just that but i'm afraid i'm having difficulty figureing it out

and yes i did search but the info on how to use the later versions on qt which is suppose to be workable as of the last commit is not there
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i got it installed on an out of the box 7.3 only real problem is there is a severe performance penatly not haveing any trouble with decode but sure an with the interface being very "sluggish"

i'm sure thats an issue that wont be addressable at this time .. so i am guessing the only way to get a "good" install is the "old" way compiling qt ect

but on the off chance there is something i can do to improve performance feel free to post

Gimp
07-03-2002, 02:34 AM
I got it running on 7.3 using some information from posts here relating to 7.3 and using the 7.2 guide.

S_B_R
07-03-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Xalpus
thats kinda what i have been looking for the how to make it work out of the box there are some recent changes to seq that elude to being able to do just that but i'm afraid i'm having difficulty figureing it out

and yes i did search but the info on how to use the later versions on qt which is suppose to be workable as of the last commit is not there
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i got it installed on an out of the box 7.3 only real problem is there is a severe performance penatly not haveing any trouble with decode but sure an with the interface being very "sluggish"

i'm sure thats an issue that wont be addressable at this time .. so i am guessing the only way to get a "good" install is the "old" way compiling qt ect

but on the off chance there is something i can do to improve performance feel free to post

There are several settings which are no longer default, that are probably causing your SEQ to appear slugish. Makesure "Animate Spawns" is selected, and try turning on "Fast Machine". There are more settings but I don't remember them off the top of my head. Just hunt around and test stuff, see if anything makes an improvement.

Guygin
07-03-2002, 09:32 AM
I agree with the 'Don' on this one. The first Linux distro I tried was 7.3 , which I liked as a product. 7.2 was a world of difference, and with the install guides posted here, I couldn't go wrong - have never had any issues with 7.2 or SEQ.. hehe I like Linux so much, thinking about doing the RHCE stuff. (Yes I AM sick, but not a complete idiot - some of my parts are missing....)

As usual, the State Department will disavow your actions if caught, this tape will self destruct in 5 seconds.........