PDA

View Full Version : Slackware 8.1 + Seq = problems

toddlar
07-09-2002, 03:44 AM
Alright,

First I'd like to say that I've been reading this forum for just about a week now. I read the walk through on how to install it on Mandrake and Redhat in hopes that it would translate over to Slackware 8.1.

I used Slackware Linux about 2 years ago for about 8 months, then I decided I would go back to Windows because I couldn't play games. Anyhow, thats why I chose to install Slackware instead of Mandrake/Redhat.

So, now that I've read both walkthroughs. Followed the instructions, I've come to little(BIG) problem.

With this slackware installation I had it install _All_ packages, from that I have version 2.95.3 of GCC. So I said to myself, 'self, I need to upgrade gcc and gcc++ before I can install qt/seq.' I tried downloading the file from rpmfind and snagged "gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm" used the command "rpm -i gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm" and it gives me a long dump:
"
error: failed depencies

binutils >= 2.11.90.0.8-3 is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
glibc-devel is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
libgcc >= 3.0.1-3 is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
/sbin/install-info is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
ld-linux.so.2 is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
libc.so.6 is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
libc.so.6(glibc_2.0) is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
libc.so.6(glibc_2.1) is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
libc.so.6(glibc_2.1.3) is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
libc.so.6(glibc_2.2) is needed by gcc3-3.0.1-3
"
So I thought to myself. "Well, lets get started. I best be downloading libc first."

I go ahead and download libc-5.3.12-31.i386.rpm and get this error dump:

"
error: failed dependencies:
/sbin/ldconfig is needed by libc-5.3.12-31
grep is needed by libc-5.3.12-31
fileutils is needed by libc-5.3.12-31
/lib/ld-linux.so.1 is neeed by libc-5.3.12-31
/bin/sh is neeed by libc-5.3.12-31

"
Wasn't sure if this was the right rpm so I went ahead and downloaded "libc-5.4.44-1glibc.i386.rpm" and it gave me similiar error messages.

I find/locate most of the files its looking for.

ldconfig 2.2.5
grep 2.5
sh 2.05a.0

At this point I got discouraged. Originally I had figured I could keep downloading rpm's untill I got through all the dependencies, however long that took. But the fact that I already had these files and it wasn't locating them left my amateur butt with nothing to do except to start downloading Redhat. I came here to post for help, and if none is offered then I'll remove Slackware and start the Redhat installation as soon as it finishes downloading.

Thanks for any help offered

P.s. I did many searches for help on slackware installation or help on gcc installation, i found many links that said they were having problems installing gcc but had figured it out. I am obviously not that fortunate

--I'm downloading redhat 7.3, not 7.2 I don't think that newer version will make any difference in the walk through, but if anybody can think of any differences please post back--

high_jeeves
07-09-2002, 08:06 AM
--I'm downloading redhat 7.3, not 7.2 I don't think that newer version will make any difference in the walk through, but if anybody can think of any differences please post back--

You might want to search the boards before you make that assumption.. many people have had problems with 7.3, it will require more manual intervention than 7.2... The walkthrough doesnt work for 7.3 out of the box.

--Jeeves

Mr Guy
07-09-2002, 08:11 AM
And I'd suggest Mandrake over Redhat because it's more dork friendly.

I can't remember which flavor Ratt was gushing over, but it may be worth your look if you have patience and a decent machine to run it on.

That's basically how it works though, you just start upgrading and complaining until it finally gives up and lets you install the package you wanted.

Dedpoet
07-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Ratt was gushing over Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org), but it's not for the feignt of heart. I am using it now and loving it, but it took me a weekend to get a stage 1 install working right, and I consider myself so be pretty *nix savvy (I play a Unix admin on TV).

Anyway, toddlar, the Redhat 7.2 setup is extremely easy. If you follow the walkthru exactly, it will take you only a few hours to get everything set up, and most of that will be compile time for Qt. If you use Zaphod's Qt RPM's you will cut that time in half because you don't need to compile it yourself. It takes longer to pick all the packages than it does to actually install Seq...ok, you get my point. ;) Unless RH 7.3 offers some feature that you really need, I would go with 7.2 - it works "out of the box."

-Ded

high_jeeves
07-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Ratt was gushing over gentoo.. and it is not for newbies... if you cant get it running on Slackware, leave gentoo alone..

--Jeeves

Cryonic
07-09-2002, 09:44 AM
rpm does NOT look on the filesystem for the files. It ONLY checks the rpm database to determine what is installed. Also, you don't have to do them one at a time, you can tell rpm to install multiple rpm files at the same time. This is useful for solving circular dependencies (e.g. rpm1 depends on rpm2 which depends on rpm3 which depends on rpm1).

rpm -ivh *.rpm

or better yet:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

toddlar
07-10-2002, 12:45 AM
Cryonic,

I went ahead and did a rpm --help and found out how to update the database for rpm (rpm --initdb). get an error when I run it. libbz2.so.1 cannot open shared object file. No such file or directory.

So, I'm done trying to get this running on slackware 8.2. My download of Redhat 7.3 has finished. I read about people having problems(thanks search feature:), but since I already have it downloaded might as well give it a go

Thank you everybody who replied to my first post on the boards ever :)

-Toddlar

Cryonic
07-10-2002, 12:59 AM
moot point now, but for the record:

libbz2.so.1 is part of the bzip2 package.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=bzip2&submit=Search+...&system=redhat-7.3&arch=

found through a combination of google.com (searched for libbz2.so.1 redhat rpm) and then rpmfind.net.

took me more time to get back to this site then to find it :)

toddlar
07-11-2002, 06:55 AM
Good times,

Installed Redhat 7.3, did the full install. Only problem was that gcc3/gcc3++ was missing(same problem I had in slackware). But this time. RPM did its job and actually installed the packages. followed all the intructions to the letter and it configured and installed just fine. Thanks again for helping me, and for making seq :)

-Toddlar