PDA

View Full Version : Official ShowEQ FAQ Development Thread

Ratt
07-09-2002, 03:59 PM
This is the development copy of the SEQ FAQ.

To Do:

Indexed
HTML-ized
Spell checked
Error checked
Updates incorporated

Please do not post questions about SEQ in this thread, it is intended soley for the purpose of fleshing out and refining the FAQ. Any posts should be directly related to the FAQ itself, and not SEQ.

------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ: The Amazing ShowEQ Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated: 09 Jul 2002

FAQ Contributors:

fryfrog
high_jeeves
Mr Guy
Gullork
Dedpoet

If I have forgotten you, please drop me a line.

Purpose:
This FAQ is intended to be read before you post any questions to the forum. Read this entire FAQ before you post your question. If you can not find your question in this FAQ, use the SEARCH feature on the ShowEQ message boards BEFORE you ask your question. The search feature can be found at <A HREF="http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=">http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php</A>

What is ShowEQ?
ShowEQ is a packet analyzer for the game EverQuest. It passively monitors network traffic for EverQuest data and displays it onscreen in a readable format.

What do I need to run ShowEQ?
In the broadest of terms: a 2nd computer, a Linux distribution, a hub and some time. oh, don't forget EverQuest the game and a non-banned account.

What information does ShowEQ actually show?
Anything that the EQ client knows, ShowEQ knows. This includes things like EVERY mob position in the zone, its level, class, race, items it is HOLDING which effect the way it looks, an accurate map of the zone, drops, traps... the list is very large.

Can ShowEQ be detected using software means by Verant?
The short answer is no. It would take a fair amount of work on their side to be able to tell that a NIC was in promiscuous mode, and even then they would not be able to tell if it was tcpdump, ethereal or ShowEQ that was sniffing packets. ShowEQ is totally passive and transmits no data.

Can ShowEQ users be detected in game by real people?
The short answer is yes. A ShowEQ user can very frequently spot another ShowEQ user. Knowing more information than you should is a dead giveaway. Making a beeline for a rare right when it pops (well, unless you are a druid/ranger) is a dead giveaway. Saying in game that you use ShowEQ or SEQ can also be a giveaway. Basically, don't be stupid and you shouldn't be caught.

Can I be banned for using ShowEQ?
Yes, you can also be banned for anything they want. If you don't want to risk your account, don't use it.

Does ShowEQ run on Microsoft Windows?
No, ShowEQ does not run on Microsoft Windows and it will never run on Microsoft Windows.

Why doesn't ShowEQ have a Microsoft Windows version?
The simple answer is this: So that the Linux version can exist. When the decryption library was open source, there was a Microsoft Windows version. Every time the decryption was broken, days or hours later Verant would rotate the encryption. Basically, they did not want a Microsoft Windows version to exist. The reasoning behind that is very simple and easy to understand. More people can use Microsoft Windows than Linux. That means that a MUCH larger number of players could use ShowEQ. Windows Bad, Linux Not-So-Bad.

Can ShowEQ tell me what loot a creature will drop?
More no than yes. The only information ShowEQ can display is that which the client receives. Loot info is not sent until the mob is actually looted. That being said, you can get a half decent idea if it is carrying something. An orc with a sword will probably drop some sort of sword. The shard wurms in GD that glow carry a light source, and that actually means they will drop the glowing bile.

ShowEQ is setup and working, but it looks like hit points are broken. It displays 65536, or a number between 0 and 100. When is this going to be fixed?
Group member hitpoints are always updated, no matter where in the zone they are. Player hitpoints are actual values, so if they have 1700hp it will show them having 1700hp. Mobs on the other hand were changed to ONLY reflect a percentage, and ONLY if you are within a certain range will you get an update. Until you have come close enough to a mob, its HP will show as "65535" or "-1" or perhaps some other value.

Back in the old days, I used to be able to figure out my exact faction. Now those dumb developers went and took that away, and all i see is one silly number! When is this going to be fixed?
Once again, this is a change Verant made. If you think about it, it really was silly of them to send a number between -32768 and +32768 when they only really had about 10-15 different things that it could be. Well, the realized this and changed it. Hurray for them, bad for us.

Dear god, the developers of ShowEQ can't seem to get ANYTHING right. Now the great experience watching portion of ShowEQ doesn't seem to work. When are they going to fix this?
Once again, Verant is responsible not the ShowEQ developers. Now instead of reporting all the number to the client, and letting the client display everything properly... they send a number which just tells the client to move the little orange/blue bar a tad. Fortunatly, since ShowEQ has a pretty good idea of what your experience is (it is sent when you zone in), ShowEQ knows which mob you killed, and the formulas involved in exp calculation it can make a pretty good estimate of the exp you just got. This portion of ShowEQ is being refined more and more in CVS.

What EVIL things can be done with ShowEQ (what do the developers NOT want you to do)?
ShowEQ makes it fairly easy to farm rare spawns. It also makes it easy to find and kill rare spawns that others might have already been after for hours. This is NOT what ShowEQ was intended to do. Farming for EBAY is another of the bad uses. While the developers can't stop anyone from doing this, they ask that you don't.

What GOOD things can be done with ShowEQ?
Probably the best thing that can be done with ShowEQ is not getting lost. Verant could easily implement a mapping skill to the game, and a map reading skill. This would remove one of the biggest reasons for using ShowEQ. It makes finding corpses pretty easy as well. There is nothing like helping a newbie find their lost body to make them happy and increase your Karma. Finding rare spawns falls in both the good and evil question. Use this feature in a way that would increase your Karma. ShowEQ also tracks spells cast by the user. This feature is great for timing your buffs. You can see all your skills and stats, as well as watch your experience rates. It shows exp / kill and a lot more information based on exp. It includes chat-monitoring capabilities, and can be very useful for organizing, running and tracking large raids. The list of things ShowEQ can do is huge, and getting bigger every CVS update.

Will ShowEQ run on a default install of Mandrake 8.1 or RedHat 7.2?
No, but all you need to get is qt-2.3.2 and compile it and it will then run. See the wonderful HOWTO's for help with this.

Why does ShowEQ require gcc-3.0.1 and qt-2.3.2?
There are a number of reasons behind this, a couple of them are:
1. An impromtu intelligence test. If you are not capable of following directions and asking intelligent questions, you are probably not the sort of person that needs to wield the power of ShowEQ. There will be exceptions to this rule, however, the line must be drawn somewhere, and it just happens to be here. If you simply can not get ShowEQ to run unassisted, chances are you will get banned for doing things in the game that mark you as a ShowEQ user. We don't want you to get banned.
2. To increase the stability and features in ShowEQ. QT-2.3.1 had some bugs in it that were causing issues. Compiling qt-2.3.2 with the -thread option helped solve a lot of these. The version of gcc that RedHat uses is an odd one that caused a lot of compile problems. Standardizing on ONE compiler and ONE qt release allowed them to move forward with out have to worry about backward compatibility.

I am having problems compiling/running/using ShowEQ, where can I turn for help?
The http://seq.sourceforge.net forums are the best place to find help for ShowEQ. They can be found here. Keep in mind that your question has PROBABLY been asked. Before you post a new thread, take the time to use the <A HREF="http://seq.sf.net/search.php>search feature</A>. If you fail to do this, someone will insult your thread and it will probably be locked as well. Lots of flames are likely to follow. You will feel bad, hurt and unfairly punished. This is normal and acceptable behavior. It is yet another test of your ability to read and comprehend information presented to you. If you are unable to do this, you need to find another place to hang out, this is not the place for you. We will beat you over the head until you get understand this.

I went where you said to get help, but everyone called me mean names and my problem still exists. Did you know that would happen?
People probably made fun of you and called you mean names because you asked the same question that many others have asked before. Did you use the search feature? Maybe you were unable to find anything related to your problem, so you posted your question as "My ShowEQ is broken, help!?" and this could be the problem. When asking for help, you need to provide as much possible information as you possibly can. This includes pasting the exact error message and maybe even logs of the problem. Most of the people who help on these forums are not psychic or choose not to use their psychic abilities on these types of posts.

I have it installed and have seen it decode, but when I goto empty zones like Kedge Keep it doesn't decode. Why doesn't it decode in these zones?
ShowEQ runs a brute force attack on the encryption used to keep the data secure. The weakness in the encryption makes it fairly easy for ShowEQ to compare certain things to new spawns. So, ShowEQ depends on NEW SPAWNS to decode. This can be you summoning a pet, someone zoning in after you or a mob spawning because you killed him 20min ago.

For some reason even though I compiled and run ShowEQ, it doesn't actually show me a damn thing. Is ShowEQ broken?
No, chances are pretty good that you are using a switch instead of a hub. To get the information that you are seeing in EverQuest, that data has to be seen by the Linux computer as well. A switch directs traffic only to the two computers (nodes) involved. A hub broadcasts all traffic to all nodes that are connected to it. Also, if you are connected to the internet with your Microsoft Windows box using a directly connected dial up, dsl, or cable modem, Microsoft Windows will not broadcast the packets out over the second nic. Also, 99.9% of the time those Residential Gateway/Routers with X number of ports are switches. This means you will have to plug all your computers into a real hub, then uplink that hub to your router/gateway. Another recent "feature" of most current hubs is that in a large number of situations, they will behave as switches. This sucks, but can be worked around. Typically, the 10mbit and the 100mbit section of a 10/100 hub are switched. So if EQ is 100mbit and SEQ is 10mbit, they won't see each other's traffic. Also, if a 10mbit device is hooked to the 10/100 hub it will frequently become a REAL hub on the 100mbit section. So, if your router is 10mbit and your SEQ and EQ boxes are 100mbit all hooked to the same hub-switch, you should probably be able to sniff packets! This is true for most Linksys hubs, and some Netgear and Bay Network hubs.

(Submitted by high_jeeves)
Q. Where do I download ShowEQ?

A. From the unix command prompt type (without quotes):
"cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login". Press enter when asked for a password (the password is blank). Next, type "cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq". This will download the source and maps for ShowEQ.

There will probably never be a place you can download a tar file again. Please don't ask.

Q. How do I build and install ShowEQ?

A. Please see the documentation in README.newbies, or one of the walkthroughs that can be found at seq.sourceforge.net in the help forum.

(Submitted by Gullork)
Q. How do I update ShowEQ?

A. The first step, is to make sure that you have the lastest libEQ.a file. You can tell if you have the correct one by looking at the top of the main page of these forums and writing down the number it lists. It looks something like this:

The current md5sum of libEQ.a (14/Jun/02): 23249.... (and so on)

Then use the md5sum command in this manner:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cd /usr/lib
md5sum libEQ.a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will return a unique number like so: 23249b5a6a04f2b900449d9c4aa0994a

If the numbers do not match, then you need to get the newest libEQ.a file. Now be careful to get the file from a trusted source such as those listed in the readme file. Here are some trusted locations for the file known at the time of this faq (again, see the readme file to verify):

ftp://azriel.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux
ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux
http://www.doomed.to/showeq/

So... now it is time to get the new file. First, lets rename the old file so that you have a backup that ShowEQ can't find and use accidentally (in other words, don't just copy the file somewhere else):

cd /usr/lib
mv libEQ.a libEQ.a.old

Now lets get the new file:

wget --passive-ftp ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/li...6/linux/libEQ.a

And double check that it is indeed the right one:

md5sum libEQ.a

If it matches the posted number at the top of the home page of this website, then we are ready to move on to the actual upgrade:

cd ~/showeq
cvs -z3 update
make -f Makefile.dist
CC=gcc3 CXX=g++3 QTDIR=/path/to/qt ./configure
make && make install

Q. Where can I find libEQ.a?

A. Please see the README.libEQ file that comes with the souce, one you have downloaded ShowEQ. To download any of these files, use "wget <url>". You may need to use the --passive-ftp switch "wget --passive-ftp <url>" for some of these locations. Once you have downloaded this file, type "md5sum libEQ.a" on it, and make sure that the output matches the md5sum printed on the top of the page at seq.sourceforge.net.

If ShowEQ is on sourceforge.net, shouldn't it be open source?
Yes, and it is! That was a very smart question. Now, we know you are asking this because you want the source to the libEQ.a file. This file USED to be distributed with the ShowEQ source on CVS, but eventually someone pointed out that since the source to this file is unavailable it is against the GPL. So, ShowEQ was made so that it can optionally use this file... and the download was placed separately from CVS. See the file "README.libEQ" file from CVS for download info.

(Submitted by Dedpoet)
Q. EQ just got patched today, and SEQ doesn't work anymore!

A. Verant often makes changes in the network packet structure on patch days that Seq doesn't know about, causing it to choke. This is usually resolved in the code within a few hours, and can be fixed with a cvs update and recompile (see above). Checking the Announcement forum at seq.sourceforge.net on patch day will often let you know when the update is complete.

(Submitted by Mr Guy)
Q: How do filters work? What is regex? Where can I get some default filters?

A: Filters work by building a string from the information received about mobs (and PC) from the EQ servers. The filters search these strings using regular expressions. You can find the exact description of the string in the file "conf/filters.conf.dist" off of the directory you downloaded the CVS into.

A regular expression is a way of describing patterns of letters, numbers, spaces, and other symbols. When this pattern is compared to a string, it is said to match if the special symbols in the pattern match the symbols and characters in the string. Think of it as algebra for words.

The most commonly used special symbols are as follows:

[ ]
: matches one character inside the brackets
eg
[aA]
would match either 'a' or 'A' but not 'b'
\w : matches any word character (letters, symbols, numbers, but not spaces)
\s : matches any space character (space or tab)
. : matches ANY character except return

Special symbol modifiers
+ : Matches 1 or more
* : Matches 0 or more
{ } : Matches X number
eg:
\w+\s would mean at least one letter (or many more) followed by a space

Example Regex for EQ

Name: [gG]riff.*

Translation:
The exact characters N a m e : {space}
follow by either g or G
followed by exactly r i f f
followed by 0 or more anything

This would match:
Name: griffawn
Name: Griff The Wonder Basher
Name: griff
Name: griffon, a

and many more.

This would NOT match:
Name: Grimfeather Race: griffon

You can learn more about regular expression all over the web, or with 'man perlre'.

BlueAdept has worked very hard to provide us with some nice default filters to use. They can be found on his website at
http://www.seqstuff.cjb.net
or the mirror:
http://www27.brinkster.com/blueadept

What hardware/distribution do YOU recommend?
There are a number of answers to this question... in short:

For advanced users:

<A HREF="http://www.gentoo.org">Gentoo Linux</A> is amazing

For moderate users:

Mandrake
Suse
Debian

For beginners:

RedHat

It all depends on what you want out of it, how skilled you are and how much time you have. Go to linuxiso.org for more distributions.

Hardware wise, go with the best you can afford. While ShowEQ can be run on something as slow as a Pentium 133, performance will be abysmal (not to mention it will take nearly a week to compile, depending on memory). The general minimum reccomended specs would be a PII 400 with 128 MB RAM and a 4 GB hard drive, a hardware accelerated video card is a plus.

Does ShowEQ work with the EverQuest Emulators that are available?
The short answer is "Sort of." If you are asking this question, then answer is "No." Those that would be able to get it to work with the emulator(s) would not be asking this question, so forget about it.

I have a question that isn't in this list, if its good will you add it?
Of course.

I don't want to piss anyone off, but I would like to point out that a lot of the developers are pretty mean. What is up with that?
Well, I will try and answer this to the best of my ability based on my opinion and my observations over the past nearly 2 years. Nearly all of the intelligent Linux users who also use ShowEQ start out with the best of intentions. If you go back in time, you would find that both Ratt and Casey were very nice and tried to help everyone they could. Another good example is Ahimus (and I'm sure I have the spelling wrong) who wrote a VERY good install guide for RedHat 7.1 and answered many questions, but has since disappeared off the face of the earth. They answered the same question over and over and over again. At some point, they snapped and decided that answering the same stupid post time after time after time was a waste of their time. Then they got mean. Right now, Zaphod is in the helpful stage and I am in the helpful -> asshole stage. If you ask a stupid question, I will call you a dumb ass while helping you.

(Submitted by: Gullork)
Q. I zoned in, but not all mobs showed up, or the mobs show as unknown. What is wrong?

A. Could be several things, but the most common is a missed transmit between the servers and your EQ client. You could have a problem on your network causing your EQ computer to ask for retransmits from the servers more often than is considered normal. Since ShowEQ doesn't see retransmits, the zone was not properly decoded due to missing information. The problem can be anything from a bad network card sending erroneous packets over the network, to a low quality hub, to a bad wire.

(Submitted by: S_B_R)
Q: I went to the Plane of Hate and saw an invisible mob called "ShowEQ users suck." Have any of you guys seen this?

A: Yes, we have and we think it is very funny. We are glad you got a chance to go up to hate and see the special content that is for showeq users only. Be careful not to laugh about it in /gu or /shout or what not

(Submitted by: high_jeeves)
Q) A walkthrough I found lists these commands:

cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf
pico -w /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

i tried to do it.. but it tells me i don't have showeq.conf in the directory...

A) You are using a slightly old version of the walkthrough. These files are no longer used, the new file is XML based. As posted in the CHANGES file, and Announcements forum:

From Zaphod, reposted by TDES:

quote:

CVS Commit, May 11, 2002
dohpaZ (11/05/02)
------------------
Modifications:

version 4.2.0

(snip)
No longer save preferences on exit, only save when user chooses to via the menu "File" -> "Save Preferences" or via the CTRL+S accelerator

Migrated to an XML based preference system.

The configuration file seqdef.xml contains the ShowEQ defaults and will usually only be modified to change site specific things, if ever.

The user configuration file showeq.xml can be used as a template to create user specific overrides of specific options. It contains Category Manager and Message Box (Channel messages) window descriptions by default. Many user settable parameters may now be set via the GUI and will be saved to this file via the "File" menu's "Save Preferences" option.

The DTD describing the specific XML format used in the files is called seqpref.dtd for those who understand such things.

The old configuration files will no longer be used, a method for migrating configuration information from these files has not been provided.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

fryfrog
07-09-2002, 04:34 PM
very good, i see a large number of mine actually made it in :)

i THINK you might have over looked one, it was pretty small and i can see how one might have just... skipped over it. i feel though that it is very important and should be included, maybe at the top...

I really enjoy eating my own buggers. Is this going to interfere with my using ShowEQ?
No, eating your own buggers should not interfere in any predictable way with using ShowEQ.

k, thx ^_^

** oh yeah, in your todo list... is that stuff YOU are gonna do (and might already be working on) or would you appreciate it if someone took it upon themselves to accomplish the task? for a LONG time i was thinking of turning the faq into a cute little html faq with those anchors (is that what they are called) and everything... you know, where you click the question and it scrolls down to the answer or some shit?

** er, umm i mean i see a lot of monkey679's made it in :)

high_jeeves
07-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Q) A walkthrough I found lists these commands:

cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf
pico -w /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

i tried to do it.. but it tells me i don't have showeq.conf in the directory...

A) You are using a slightly old version of the walkthrough. These files are no longer used, the new file is XML based. As posted in the CHANGES file, and Announcements forum:

From Zaphod, reposted by TDES:

CVS Commit, May 11, 2002
dohpaZ (11/05/02)
------------------
Modifications:

version 4.2.0

(snip)
No longer save preferences on exit, only save when user chooses to via the menu "File" -> "Save Preferences" or via the CTRL+S accelerator

Migrated to an XML based preference system.

The configuration file seqdef.xml contains the ShowEQ defaults and will usually only be modified to change site specific things, if ever.

The user configuration file showeq.xml can be used as a template to create user specific overrides of specific options. It contains Category Manager and Message Box (Channel messages) window descriptions by default. Many user settable parameters may now be set via the GUI and will be saved to this file via the "File" menu's "Save Preferences" option.

The DTD describing the specific XML format used in the files is called seqpref.dtd for those who understand such things.

The old configuration files will no longer be used, a method for migrating configuration information from these files has not been provided.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Ratt
07-09-2002, 08:14 PM
If anyone wants to take on the To-Do list stuff, please feel free. If it's not posted here, I'll work on it when I have time, otherwise, someone else is more than welcome to do it.

I want to put a "Submitted by" on each question, and anchor them, and format the whole thing into something usable.

Mr Guy
07-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Boogers. The word is Boogers. A bugger is Brit slang for a sodomist. Please don't eat your buggers.

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 10:21 AM
hey, thanks i totally missed that i had completely boorked the spelling of boogers!

S_B_R
07-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Mr Guy
Boogers. The word is Boogers. A bugger is Brit slang for a sodomist. Please don't eat your buggers.

What is "Smeg" slang for? ;)

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 01:18 PM
S_B_R's idea:

Q: I went to the Plane of Hate and saw an invisible mob called "ShowEQ users suck." Have any of you guys seen this?
A: Yes, we have and we think it is very funny. We are glad you got a chance to go up to hate and see the special content that is for showeq users only. Be careful not to laugh about it in /gu or /shout or what not ;)

**Edit: as an off topic english question... if a sentence has a small quote in it that ends the sentence... does the "." go inside or outside the quotes? ex: the dog when "up my butt." or the dog went "up my butt". i think it goes inside the quotes.

Ratt
07-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Edit: as an off topic english question... if a sentence has a small quote in it that ends the sentence... does the "." go inside or outside the quotes? ex: the dog when "up my butt." or the dog went "up my butt". i think it goes inside the quotes.

If you are writing American English, it goes inside the quotes. I think it goes outside the quotes if you are writing for the British, not sure about that though.

I'm adding the above questions to the FAQ via an Edit to the message.

As for Smeg... I'm not sure if it's different than Smegma ... But Smegma is the gunk you find... umm, well nevermind (http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=smegma&db=*).

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 01:56 PM
okay, i don't know html very well, but i've worked out anchors and stuff :)

i was wondering if this basic design is okay. if it is, i'll start filling in questions. if it isn't, give me an idea (just layout wise) of how you envision it and i'll see what i can do.

i might not be able to get it done lickety split, but if you pick a "theme" (or what ever) it should be pretty easy for you or i to add to it and keep it consistent looking.

ShowEQ-FAQ.html (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.html)

it is just white and... black, or i spose what ever your browser colors are. i am NOT very good at the "pretty" stuff, but i really like the linux HOWTO format of documentation... though it takes a little longer to do by hand ;)

i was thinking of putting links to the libeq.readme and the howto file that comes with cvs, but wasn't sure if i should just link them like they were in the dir (would you be able to host it with those 2 files?) or just link to the cvs thing... if thats possible.

Dedpoet
07-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Edit: as an off topic english question... if a sentence has a small quote in it that ends the sentence... does the "." go inside or outside the quotes? ex: the dog when "up my butt." or the dog went "up my butt". i think it goes inside the quotes.

I figured I'd address this since this is sort of a pet peeve of mine, and I had read about it elsewhere, as well. In American English, the punctuation goes inside of the quotes, as a rule. However, it is becoming more and more mainstream, especially in Internet-formatted text, to put it outside of the quotes for clarity, especially when when quoting code or something you would need to type. For example:

Your password is "eqiscool".
You could try typing "ls -l", "ls -a", or "ls -la".

If I didn't put the period outside of the quotes, people in the know may think the password included the period, as that is perfectly acceptable in most OS's and applications. In the second line, if I didn't put the punctuation outside of the quotes, it's conceivable that someone may think it is part of the command.

I'm sure I read more about this here (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/) but if I started reading that to try to find it, I'd be there for hours - it's good stuff.

Sorry for the hijack, I was bored and trying to kill the last few minutes of the work day.

-Ded

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 03:28 PM
yeah, i had that same issue with putting the . inside the "". it might be hard to distinquish between an actual command or what ever and just proper engrish.

from now on, i decree that i will put the . outside my "quotes"! even if it does look goofy :)

course, i still won't capitolize ;)

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 04:35 PM
since no one bitched bout my ShowEQ-FAQ.html (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.html) that i posted, i have started filling it with the questions and answers. check it out if you like, tell me what you think... not that its very interestingly done ;)

**update: well, each section has a few questions in it. the huge blank gap between it is just so i can make sure it scrolls down properly. i'm headed home now, so please tell me if you like it or not so i don't waste time on it ;)

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 07:42 PM
damnit, its TOTALLY done now. if you don't like it, ima gonna come over and kick your ass. take a look, proof read it for spelling and grammer and capitolization please :)

i DID break up some submitted questions into 2 or 3 different Q/A type things so they might be easier to see. now when we are replying to posts that are answered in the faq, we can say "please see 1.11 in the FAQ"

i have also added one or two that were not there that i feel should be... such as the no unknown spawns in list/map and the jerky spawn move ment (animate spawns and unknown spawns from the "Show" right click on map menu).

don't forget to look at it right here (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.html).

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 10:39 PM
man, you guys are slow and totally suck. i pasted it into word and i couldn't BELIEVE how many words were miss-spelled. so now it is spell checked. i suck at grammer and i hate words grammer checker too. i read it, and it doesn't sound to akward...

i'm attaching the file in case some one wants to download it (cough, Ratt, cough).

humm, it SHOULD be attached but it isn't afaik. you can get it here (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.zip) too.

casey
07-11-2002, 03:30 AM
What hardware/distribution do YOU recommend?
There are a number of answers to this question... in short:

For advanced users:

Gentoo Linux is amazing

For moderate users:

Mandrake
Suse
Debian

For beginners:

RedHat

putting debian in the same group as suse/mdk ......

thats my only gripe :)

Dedpoet
07-11-2002, 06:37 AM
Sorry fryfrog, I was playing EQ last night *gasp*! I'll read your work this morning. ;)

Dedpoet
07-11-2002, 07:18 AM
Nice work, fryfrog. I have just a few recommendations.

Question 2.1 reads, "Showeq is seems to be working..." May want to nuke "is" from there.

Questions 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 all say, "From the command prompt..." I realize this is nit picky, but Linux doesn't call it a "command prompt," they call it a "command line," or you could say "terminal window" instead. Sometimes I'm just annoying, so you don't have to change this if you don't want to. ;)

In 2.11 where hardware requirements are listed, it mentions an accelerated video card as being preferrable. It might be cool to throw in something like, "Please note that Nvidia's video cards tend to have the best Linux support and drivers, as opposed to cards made by ATi, Matrox, etc." I know that's not Seq specific, but might be worth a sentence in the FAQ.

Great FAQ guys. I'm sure all the newbies will read it and we won't see any more repetitive questions on the boards. :p

-Ded

Ratt
07-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Good job Fry ... I haven't had a chance to look over your latest version yet, but I will try to get to it today. Really busy at work and haven't eaten in 24 hours... gonna die!

ArRRRrRRrrGGGGGggg cheeeeseeeee neeed cheeeseeee ARRrrrRRrgggg

One thing that concernes me though... You said you ran it through word... as in MICROSOFT word?! Heathen.

Dedpoet
07-11-2002, 08:35 AM
# emerge --clean ispell
# ispell showEQ_FAQ.html

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by casey

i re-org'd his list into just two groups.

gentoo, debian and slackware for advancedish
suse, mdk and redhat for newbish

i will correct the othermistakes when i get some time at work, k thx ^_^

i totally agree with the cmd line thing, i will change it to terminal window. i was having trouble remembering what you called that and i think i just kinda copied what was in the original questions/answer ;)

z26o
07-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Great job Fryfrog and all the contributers!

Only thing I noticed so far:

Topic 4.14
Example Regex for EQ
Name: [gG]riff.*
Translation:
The exact characters N a m e : {space}
follow by either g or G
followed by exactly r I f f

Did you intend for that to be a capitial "I" in the last line?
I expected "followed by exactly r i f f".

Totally awesome! I wish I had this when I set up mine :)

z

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 09:51 AM
all the current suggestions have been implemented...

removing the stupid "is", correcting the "command prompt" and adding the bit about nvidia having better drivers/support.

i also corrected the "I" thing.

also, i installed ispell and used it... it worked fine :)

i did this in omnipad on windows, and of course the damn ^M things are all over the place. does anyone know of a tool to fix that? i was looking in the menu for omnipad, but i didn't see it. i think ultraedit has that ability, but isn't free.

**edit: added two more questions, one about sparq/ppc versions of the libeq.a file and one about the high cpu usage of X.

Cryonic
07-11-2002, 10:22 AM
dos2unix for converting from WinBlows to Unix <CR>

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 10:46 AM
okay, "emerge dosfix" and "crlf -v -u ShowEQ-FAQ.html" did it for me :)

i have re-spell checked it and updated the .zip file :)

cgi-bin
07-11-2002, 10:50 AM
What information does ShowEQ actually show?
Anything that the EQ client knows, ShowEQ knows. This includes things like EVERY mob position in the zone, its level, class, race, items it is HOLDING which effect the way it looks, an accurate map of the zone, drops, traps... the list is very large.

effect should be affect. Effect is almost always a noun. Affect is the verb.

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 11:09 AM
fixed that... updated the version in a slackware fashion to 8.1 and zipped it ;)

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by casey

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that while apt-get is really awsome... i had an easier go at installing and using gentoo than i did debian ;)

anyone know anything about suse? i kinda lumped it in with mdk and redhat because i've read some reviews of it on theregister.co.uk and they seemed to imply that it was one of the fairly easy to install/use distro's.

adenine!
07-11-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Ratt
I don't want to piss anyone off, but I would like to point out that a lot of the developers are pretty mean. What is up with that?
Well, I will try and answer this to the best of my ability based on my opinion and my observations over the past nearly 2 years. Nearly all of the intelligent Linux users who also use ShowEQ start out with the best of intentions. If you go back in time, you would find that both Ratt and Casey were very nice and tried to help everyone they could. Another good example is Ahimus (and I'm sure I have the spelling wrong) who wrote a VERY good install guide for RedHat 7.1 and answered many questions, but has since disappeared off the face of the earth. They answered the same question over and over and over again. At some point, they snapped and decided that answering the same stupid post time after time after time was a waste of their time.

Am I Ahimus? LOL I disappeared after the HQ ShowEQ forum died off and eventually was switched to new forum software and closed; I just never came to the SourceForge SEQ boards nearly as often. Less that I got tired of answering the same questions than that I was tired of killing the same things over and over in EQ and stopped using that and SEQ for a while. :P Some other guys on this board had the "install guide" thing covered pretty well anyway. ;) Now that I'm (sort of) using SEQ again I suppose I could write another one but I don't even know what comes with the latest versions of RH and Mandrake much less have them installed.

fryfrog
07-11-2002, 08:33 PM
so THAT is who i was thinking of :)

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 01:19 PM
i have added 2 more questions about spawn points into the faq. advanced the version and re-zipped it :)

any opinions? do you guys like the layout? its pretty damn simple...

i also didn't credit each question with a person, i think a credit line at the top should be suffecient. besides, most of the questions are mine anyway ;)

fryfrog
07-13-2002, 12:53 AM
updated it a little more, added more detail to some answers and tried to shorten the questions so they didn't line wrap on my screen. still looking for approval/disapproval... suggestions... comments... free sex... free money...

Dedpoet
07-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Well, I'm just being picky, but "sparq" in 2.13 should be "SPARC".

In 4.15, you may want to mention that undocking the map windows and resizing them has helped people as well.

This is looking very nice. Great work fryfrog, and all who are contributing.

fryfrog
07-13-2002, 10:54 AM
done. updated and zipped :)

once again, html (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.html) and zip (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.zip)

**update: added a pppoe / dsl question - answer
**update: did a little bit of make sense tweaking
**update: added a spawnlog.txt question - answer

fryfrog
07-14-2002, 11:33 AM
soon as someone (cough, ratt, cough) puts this someplace with a usable url we can start making posts that say please see the FAQ, section 3.3 (http://fryfrog.dyndns.org:81/ShowEQ-FAQ.html#3.3)

Dedpoet
07-15-2002, 11:53 AM
fry, question 2.6 still says "command prompt". Noticed that while replying to some posts a few minutes ago telling people to look at it.

fryfrog
07-15-2002, 02:31 PM
fixed :)

fryfrog
07-16-2002, 08:35 AM
added a question about vmware and how to start showeq (./showeq -i eth0 --ip-address=).

Gullork
07-16-2002, 12:10 PM
I go away for a week due to RL and look at all that has happened!

Good job guys! You too Fryfrog! As usual!

Hey Fry, what boards aren't you on? lol. I see you over on Xy also, but I have a different name over there (different name on HQ too).

Any ways, my only request for the FAQ is that you put a space/line between questions. <br> :)

S_B_R
07-16-2002, 12:27 PM
How about adding something about patching the source with diff patches. I do it so rarely that I usually have to teach myself how to do it all over again each time. I kow it's not a big deal, but I always seem to miss something on the first try. ;)

fryfrog
07-16-2002, 01:40 PM
S_B_R, that is a great idea. please go re-learn it and post here so i don't have to :)

do you mean....

Question1
Answer1

Question2
Answer2

OR

Question1

Answer1

Question2

Answer2?

i tried the first way, but the bulleted list < U L > < li > stuff is what was keeping it from working. if you know more html than i do (it isn't hard) please tell me how ;)

**edit: yes, im everwhere. ipcop, freesco, showeq, hackersquest, xylobot and formerly chickclick.com (shutup)

Ratt
07-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Working on a database backend FAQ system, so hold off on any changes ... :) Should have it soon I hope.

fryfrog
07-16-2002, 02:54 PM
no more changes... baby :)

S_B_R
07-16-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog
S_B_R, that is a great idea. please go re-learn it and post here so i don't have to :)

Argh! you would have to say that wouldn't you... ;) Ok, I'm on it. :D

fryfrog
07-18-2002, 09:05 PM
i need to update the "how do i run it" to include the "su" or "sudo su" line, as it needs to be run as root and i have failed to mention that ;) also, doesn't "make install" need to be run as root?

anyway, i am not gonna update it as ratt appears to be making it all db driven... right? :)

Ratt
07-19-2002, 10:28 AM
Ok... I have the DB back end in place... but that's all I've got.

The method to integrate it into something that you'd want to bring home to mother... or at least publically display is somewhat more tedious.

Fryfrog, or someone else... how are you guys with PHP? Would you be willing to design the FAQ layout? It will require some PHP work. It's not hard, just tedious, as I said... If no one wants (or is able to do it) I will do it, but it'll take some time. My free-time is a quite limited, at least for another month, but I should be able to find time to work on it prior to then, I just don't know when.

Honestly, after settin' this up, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to put it in a DB, heh... but eh... I guess it can't hurt. It's all gonna depend on how it's presented I guess.

I'll give it some more thought while I await your responses ;)

fryfrog
07-19-2002, 11:40 AM
unfortunatly, i know exactly jack and shit about php really. i barely managed to squeek by with the very limited knowladge i have of html to make the faq as it looks now ;)

i even had to use webmonkey to learn those "anchor" things (and still goofed it up to start with).

personally, my vote would be for skipping the db backend until it really starts to become neccessary due to a HUGE faq. right now it really isn't that big and probably won't become just overly gigantic.

it would be nice to group questions together, but i was thinking about that the other day. if i were to re-org it EVERY time i got a good question, old links from posts or other places would point to wrong questions.

so, to sum it up... i know no php except to configure things like gallery ;) sorry :(

my ability is more software on windows and linux. want me to muck about with apache or iis... fix something a stupid ass customer broke... i'm your man... ask me to script or try to... i might be able to... but what the hell is all this html, asp, php bs :)

fryfrog
07-19-2002, 04:39 PM
updated and added the "su" command to before running showeq and also before make && make install.

i added 2 or 3 questions, for gcc3 figuring out and how to compile qt with gcc3 :)

deathinc
07-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Here's a couple of thoughts to enhance or better illustrate errors....

(Working off the last version FryFrog posted as of this post)

1.3 - What information does ShowEQ actually show?
Anything that the EQ client knows, ShowEQ knows. This includes things like EVERY mob position in the zone, its level/class/race, items it is HOLDING which affect the way it looks, an accurate map of the zone, ground drops/spawns, traps... the list is very large.

Change "Anything that the EQ client knows" to "Anything that the EQ client is told". Seeing as all the structs have not been fully described this is a bit misleading. The same goes for "items it is HOLDING" - which should probibly read "information about items it is HOLDING".

1.4 - Can ShowEQ be detected using software means by Verant?
The short answer is no. It would take a fair amount of work on their side to be able to tell that a NIC was in promiscuous mode (sniffing network traffic), and even then they would not be able to tell if it was tcpdump, ethereal or ShowEQ that was sniffing packets. ShowEQ is totally passive and transmits no data.

While all those programs listed above have 'ligitimate' (to some degree) uses, the most 'ligitimate' use of a packet-sniffer would be an Intrusion Detection System. Who can argue against one now adays? :) I would suggest adding it to the list of programs above.

1.11 - I went to the Plane of Hate and saw an invisible mob called "ShowEQ users suck." Have any of you guys seen this?

I thought it was "ShowEQ users are lame"? Of course I haven't been in-game in some time now.

2.11 What hardware do YOU recommend?
Hardware wise, go with the best you can afford. While ShowEQ will run on something as slow as a Pentium 133, performance will be abysmal (not to mention it will take nearly a week to compile, depending on memory). The general minimum recommended specs would be a PII 400 with 128 MB RAM and a 4 GB hard drive, a hardware accelerated video card is a plus. Typically Nvidia has much better driver support in linux than ATi, Matrox or 3dfx. A TNT2 card should be just fine (it is what I use).

A few notes, I use a P133 for my SEQ box. It's not fast, but it works:
Remove: "(not to mention it will take nearly a week to compile, depending on memory)" -- it's a serious overexaggeration. It only takes about 4 hours. (Don't ask about a kernel compile -- I'll cry)
Regarding "abysmal" performance -- again an overstatment. Performance is "degraded" to "sub-par". And the "minimum" specs can be dropped a bit if you wish to use the word. Perhaps change "minimum" to "recommended".

That's about all I have time to go over ATM.

Ratt -- if you're still desparate to get some php front-end done up for the FAQ, drop me a line and I'll see if I can whip something up. You've got my e-mail. :)

fryfrog
07-19-2002, 09:13 PM
i'll toss in those updates :)

qt-2.3.2 actually probably takes about 24-48 hours to compile though showeq should compile faster. that question was actually modified by someone (ratt i think?) from my original version of it ;)

and the ids thing is an AWSOME addition. i know i run ids, and i knew it ran in promisc but i just never put the 2 together. thanks :)

deathinc
07-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog

qt-2.3.2 actually probably takes about 24-48 hours to compile though showeq should compile faster. that question was actually modified by someone (ratt i think?) from my original version of it ;)

I don't remember it ever taking that log to compile (I think I even also had QT3 compiled on it as well...

Nonetheless, the longest part of getting SEQ up and running is the QT compile. Once it's done, even SEQ recompiles pale in comparison.

Perhaps if it was really that bad it would be better to note that we are referring to 'runtime' preformance, and that compilation will take some time on that hardware platform.

fryfrog
07-31-2002, 02:50 PM
please, lets host the html file somewhere and make it stick at the top of the help forum ;) (soon).

Ratt
07-31-2002, 03:09 PM
The SEQ FAQ's official home is now:

http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html

Yes, I am aware of the irony of the domain name, thank you very much.

fryfrog
07-31-2002, 03:22 PM
bwahahahah, but they DO RULE! :)

anyway, i setup a dyndns.org redirect thing for "seq.doesntexist.org" and i'm sure there is one SOMEWHERE that doesn't be all ghey and have pop up add.

Ratt
07-31-2002, 03:31 PM
If it has anything to do with Macs, it's inherently ghey. You can not beat the ghey-ness out of a Mac, it's a fundamental part of their nature. Ask Steve Jobbs.

fryfrog
07-31-2002, 03:32 PM
i would also suggesting putting that huge stuff into the help forum, just in case they SOMEHOW miss it on the main part ;)

high_jeeves
07-31-2002, 03:38 PM
I love the new main page.. great work on the FAQ fryfrog!

--Jeeves

Cryonic
07-31-2002, 03:44 PM
Nice new message.

wonders if he should find the animated torch image to make as his sig

KennySP
08-13-2002, 02:25 PM
a P70 Laptop with 24MB Ram and a 520MB Harddrive runs SEQ good enough at 1fps.

KennySP

Cryonic
08-13-2002, 02:37 PM
I had it on a P150 with 80MB RAM, could do it at 10fps, but kept it down near 3 since I didn't need that fast of an update.

Phat_Lewts
08-16-2002, 12:38 AM
Q. Wow I finally got Showeq working but what do i do now ?

Q. Is there a manual for all the features you can access from the drop down lists inside SEQ ?

Phat_Lewtz

P.s If you have this stuff and want to send it to me Ill FAQ it up : )

domesticbeer
10-29-2002, 07:33 AM
OK time for an addmenum to the FAQ.

verify that the new LibEQ.a that your are wgeting is named LibEQ.a, if there are multiple copies in the destination directory the download will not be named LibEQ.a, instead it will have a .# on the end of it.