PDA

View Full Version : guild name display ideas?

mvern
07-09-2002, 04:55 PM
I was looking into trying to find a good way to add a guild name display for players, and I've ran into some trouble. So far I've got the easy part covered, I can display guild id #'s, but getting actual names is a bit more difficult.

My understanding of the system is, the guild names are stored on the client in guilds2.dat, and it only gets updated at certain times when it changes, or you switch servers. Anyway, the problem is, I havent come up with any easy way to keep showeq aware of, and updated with, the current guild name database.

If I cant come up with a simple way to handle this, I'll clean up what i have so far and just post a patch in the next couple days to display the actual ID #'s atleast. They almost never change for an existing guild, so its still useful for setting up alerts for a rival guild or something. Maybe someone else can pick up from where I left off and add actual names eventually.

high_jeeves
07-09-2002, 05:02 PM
I would recommend just putting the onus on the user. Just read from the whatever guilds2.dat file is placed in the showEQ directory to get the names. If the user doesnt keep the file up to date, they wont get the right info.. "Automating" this could be more trouble than it is worth.

Just make sure there is plenty of error checking , incase the id is higher than what is found in the file and such...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
07-09-2002, 05:05 PM
i like jeeves's's idea the best, just get the user to place the guild file into the seq dir. isn't there something like that already? the spell casting messages file? i should put that into my seq dir shouldn't i :)

fee
07-09-2002, 09:41 PM
The ability to map guild names to guild numbers will be coming soon to a cvs near you. Please be patient.

Fee

Aelorean
07-10-2002, 01:49 AM
I get this feeling we're in for a nice, new release of ShowEQ soon! :D *dance*

link129
09-16-2002, 05:33 AM
Anything new with the Guild names? I'm looking forward to filtering out people in range of me from my Guild (without adding individual names) to my PVP category.

fee
09-22-2002, 09:58 PM
Soon

baelang
09-28-2002, 02:42 PM
EDIT: nevermind. i was wrong.

but i am sure fee has it worked out already.