PDA

View Full Version : network interface down on standby mode (general linux question)

jaredb0t
07-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi, I don't know how kosher general linux questions but here goes...

I've got a red hat 7.2 box networked with my windows machine, but when the linux box goes in to standby (power saving) mode (monitor off/hard drive off), I lose all network functionality, ie seq will no longer work, and I can't access the internet, nor will file sharing work. The only way I seem to be able to bring the network back up is to restart. So basically what I'd like to know is:

A) Is there a way I can shutdown and restart the network interface without rebooting the machine?

or

B) While running KDE I can't seem to figure out how to stop the computer from going into standby mode.. (well i just realized i haven't tried the bios yet).. I have all the options set to NOT go into powersaving mode in the KDE config.. no screen saver... no power saving etc..

I would really prefer (A) because I don't use my linux machine much other than to use seq and would like it to be in power saving mode when i'm not using it.

Thanks

-jaredb0t

high_jeeves
07-10-2002, 09:17 PM
Hi, I don't know how kosher general linux questions but here goes...

Generally, you will find better answers on linux forums... thats kindof the idea of a topic forum.

Is there a way I can shutdown and restart the network interface without rebooting the machine?

try "ifdown eth0" then "ifup eth0" (or do a "man ifconfig" for more information.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
also, if you are using mdk/rh you can use "service network restart" or "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart"

karmakoala
07-10-2002, 11:10 PM
I found the only way to kill the standby mode was to go into the bios and disable all of the power saving options.

There might be a way to do it in KDE but I haven't found it yet.

tristanbfg
07-16-2002, 04:14 AM
as root execute the command: ntsysv

scroll down and make sure a service named 'apmd' doesn't have an asterisk (*) beside it. If it does, turn it off and restart.

Also, you should disable any system suspend options in bios.

Kimbler
07-16-2002, 05:23 AM
You may be having the same problem I had with Linux going into standby. I did same, I went everywhere and turned off screensavers and powersavers but no cigar until someone told me about the TERMINAL window has it's own standby mode.

Try this: open terminal window and type:

xset s 0 0
xset s noblank
xset s off
xset -dpms

showeq

Once i did that showeq quit shutting down on me...