PDA

View Full Version : repeater

quistis
07-11-2002, 01:33 AM
I set up SEQ with no problems, everything seemed to work..I started it up, and it sits blank.

I am on a school network, both computers are connected to a 10-only repeater (this is a true hub right? I had one of those linksys hubs so I went a got this ancient 24 port fossil from a friend) which is then connected to the balun in the wall. I looked online and it told me a repeater was a hub and not a switch, so I assumed this was the real deal.

It can't be a pppoe problem I read about cuz I am on LAN (college network). My entire college is on 10-only.

*I used winipcfg (on the EQ winME machine) to get the IP addy i wanted to scan...if this is me being stupid...sorry ^^;;
I can ping this IP tho

So, I went back and installed tcpdump after some reading

I typed
tcpdump -i eth0 | grep <IP>
and got nothing...
I surfed on the other machine, downloaded stuff, but it stays blank. I logged on, zoned a few times, etc, nothing.

I typed
tcpdump -i eth0
and I get crap loads of weird stuff, and lots of
NAME.RES.COLLEGENAME
...lots of different people, assorted with some of
MYCOMPUTERNAME.RES.COLLEGENAME

lots of something.something.kazaa, but the thing is I don't use kazaa i've never downloaded it, or visited a website, so I don't think that was me, so I guess it's seeing something other than my own messages.

I followed the Mandrake 8.1 guide down to the crumb, aside from the need to copy the now non-existant showeq.conf.dist.

My showeq command was
./showeq -i eth0 <IP>

I also tried just running showeq and using the drop down menu to specify the IP and I also tried just finding next EQclient.
Neither did anything.

LordCrush
07-11-2002, 01:55 AM
Hmm this should work.

please try to ping your linux box from your WinME box and use ping -t IP... - hope -t works in WinME :D -

then look at tcpdump -i eth0 again, then repeat the same for an other box in the network

if you dont see packets from our WinME-Box you have a problem with you networklayout.

quistis
07-11-2002, 04:03 AM
I did a variation of what you suggested....cuz I only have 2 boxes hardwired. What I recieve in the terminal suggests I am seeing packets. lots of numbers but in essence it says...

I pinged from winMEbox to linuxbox
linux terminal sees:

winMEbox.res.edu > linuxbox.res.edy: icmp : echo request
linuxbox.res.edu > winMEbox.res.edu: icmp: echo reply

I pinged from winMEbox to ThirdrandomboxOnWirelessNetwork(not on hub).
linux terminal sees:
winMEbox.res.edu > thirdbox.res.edu:icmp:echo request
thirdbox.res.edu > winMEbox.res.edu:icmp:echo reply

I also pinged the thirdbox to the winMEbox and got a similar output showing the thirdbox pinging the winMEbox, and the winMEbox replying.

It still does not work :P (showeq that is)

LordCrush
07-11-2002, 05:34 AM
if you start tcpdump and then eq do you see packets to and from hosts in the Domain .989studios.com ?

S_B_R
07-11-2002, 08:00 AM
try this
./showeq -i eth0 --ip-address=ip.of.your.windows.box